#1 ILOVEOMC

ILOVEOMC

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 02:57 PM

:D Hi
I want to makecut out sugar cookies for my kids and the recipe calls for shortening. I usually use butter but the cookies spread out. Is there a gluten-free shortening to use?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 rma451

rma451

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 03:13 PM

I want to makecut out sugar cookies for my kids and the recipe calls for shortening. I usually use butter but the cookies spread out. Is there a gluten-free shortening to use?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hi ,
I use crisco ,
rosie

#3 bluelotus

bluelotus

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 03:34 PM

yep, crisco is gluten-free. but, for a healthier option, you can try coconut oil/shortening. looks like white shortening in a glass jar.
The temple bell stops
but the sound keeps coming
out of the flowers
-Zen Haiku Master Basho

#4 skbird

skbird

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 03:42 PM

Also Spectrum sells a palm oil shortening. I think Earth Balance has one, too...

Stephanie
Diagnosed by food challenge, 10/04
Gluten-free since 10/04
Gluten-sensitive genes: HLA-DQ 1,3 (Subtype 6,9)
Interstitial Cystitis, 7/07
Fibromyalgia, 6/11

#5 ILOVEOMC

ILOVEOMC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 04:30 PM

:D Woo hoo Crisco. That's what I was using before celiac disease. For some reason ( I think the dietician scared me away from it) I thought it would not be gluten-free and I have been using butter which makes things spread out during baking. I will gladly go back to the old familiar Crisco shortening in the big tub. Thanks so much!!

#6 aztec celiac

aztec celiac

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 08:42 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Non gluten flours do tend to spread. :( I´ve read in many places that you should refrigerate the dough for a couple of hours regardless of the recipe. (Actually, even if you were making "regular" butter cookies, they also recommend you refrigerate the dough to keep the butter from melting...) For cookies, I roll the dough into a cylinder and put it in the freezer. When it´s firm enough, I cut slices about ¼". I only take out half-a-dozen slices at a time. That way, every time I bake them they taste freshly made! Hope this helps in addition to switching to shortening ;)

#7 SharonF

SharonF

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 06:33 AM

Isn't it frustrating when dieticians lead you wrong? I've had more than one instance where I suddenly found out, wait, that's okay? That was on the "no" list from the dietician!
Mom of 3
Diagnosed celiac August 2004

#8 Claire

Claire

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 08:32 AM

yep, crisco is gluten-free.  but, for a healthier option, you can try coconut oil/shortening.  looks like white shortening in a glass jar.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you have a name of the coconut oil shortening? where do you find it? Does it taste like coconut? Thanks. Claire

#9 carlaspacher

carlaspacher

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:50 PM

I just read Crisco's website, and they do not claim Crisco shortening to be gluten free "for one or more reasons". I'm guessing it is due to cross-contamination or legal fears. They still have a statement on their site that the FDA has not finalized any rules on gluten labeling. I hope to see a change by August 5, 2014 when the FDA gluten labeling rules become effective.

#10 carlaspacher

carlaspacher

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:51 PM

Here's the link to the Crisco site: http://www.crisco.co...aspx#faq_gluten

#11 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,310 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:41 AM

Please note:  This thread is 8 years old.  Any product info and ingredients might have changed in that length of time. 

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: