This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Unsure About Getting Tested

julissa

julissa Explorer

I hope to get some advice about getting tested for sensitivity. Here's my story, I have had terrible symptoms for a little over a year of nausea/diarrhea/dizziness. I had no idea what it could be, went to several docs including 2 GI docs. was given every test that was recommended, including a biopsy. every result came back normal, nothing was wrong. okay, why am I still n/d/dizzy? every doc said the same thing.

did some research, found this board, and decided to give gluten-free a go, as it was like reading my own story. I did and for the first month or so had never felt better. I also went dairy free, looking back probably shouldn't have, but it is what I did.

I will add that the only time in that first month I felt signs of the dizziness coming back was when I baked with flour. I didn't eat anything, but since found out that that can cause a glutening. I believe that gluten caused the dizziness, but now am left with a bit of nausea on and off, possibly caused by other intolerances. but how to find out?

after a month I had some gluten-free pizza, which had cheese on it. felt sick with only nausea (no dizziness) the next day and several days afterwards. I don't know if it was cc or the dairy. ever since then have not felt as great as I did for the first month. at this point, I don't know if there is any testing I can do for food sensitivity.

any advice would be much appreciated, it is getting to the point that I am almost afraid to eat.

and happy new year!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

julissa Explorer

oh also, not sure if it's relevant, but I was told I have a hiatel hernia.

julissa Explorer

just bumping this to see if anyone might answer. I have been doing some research and am looking into (Company Name Removed - They Spammed This Forum and are Banned) and entero. (Company Name Removed - They Spammed This Forum and are Banned) is right near my house.

just looking for anyone's input.. thanks

julissa Explorer

okay, I guess I am not supposed to ask about testing, I see the names have been removed. so sorry, I didn't know.

mushroom Proficient

okay, I guess I am not supposed to ask about testing, I see the names have been removed. so sorry, I didn't know.

It's nothing personal. Once the board has been spammed, there is a program that automatically removes the name of a spammer and substitutes that sentence.

However, there is a board rule against bumping posts; please do not do that again.

As to your question, there is food testing available through an allergist, but first you might try just the total elimination of dairy as well as gluten since if you do have a damaged gut you will probably have problems digesting dairy products (even though there was no villous atrophy found on biopsy they have been known to miss the afffected areas and give a false negative). The damage done to the small intestine also destroys the ability to produce the enzyme for digesting lactose.

Several companies offer stool testing. You can either order this yourself or it can be ordered through a naturopath. The results are not recognized by doctors as there has been no peer-reviewed research as to their validity in diagnosing celiac.

Archived