5 replies to this topic

#1 DownWithGluten

DownWithGluten

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:22 PM

Hi y'all good people. Been a while since I've posted on here.

Okay, Swiss Miss. I've been seeing conflicting things online as to how it's labelled gluten free etc.

In particular, I want to know if the DARK CHOCOLATE variety is gluten free. I had milk chocolate the other day, and was fine. Then in my greed for variety and flavor, I went to the store and bought the Dark Chocolate kind because it looked good. When I got home and Googled as a safegaurd, I saw reports saying that "all Swiss Miss is gluten free, AND is labelled as such."

Well my lovely Dark Chocolate hot cocoa does NOT say gluten free anywhere on it. Sooo does that mean it's not gluten free? Are the milk chocolate ones really still labelled as Gluten Free or did that stop at some point within the last year? Or was that only in January that they did it and dropped it? Thus meaning that the dark is probably safe too?

why whyyy the humanity. It does say "Allergens: milk" no wheat, but we all know barely and stuff could secretly be hidden.

In my heart of hearts I think it's probably fine, and I thought all swiss miss was okay, but of course can't know for sure and the labelling thing is confusing me now. So if one of you fine people out there has drank the Dark Chocolate hot cocoa and been fine, please let me know! :)

otherwise I'll have to bring it back, but I'm sick and that was my one adventure to the grocery store probably for the next few days lol.
Gluten-free since January, 2007

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Dispeller of Shady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,997 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:32 PM

What are the ingredients? Do you see wheat or barley or malt listed?

"You have problems.  There are not enough paper clips, and then you've got world hunger.  Your problems are somewhere in between." -DPR,III

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

purring-kitty-smiley-emoticon.gif

#3 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:43 PM

I was drinking it all last winter, but then again I was new last winter too so I may have been mildly stupid. You could just give them a call. It could never hurt just to verify things like manufacturing practices and such. I do still have a box from last winter up in my pantry, but I am both A: too lazy to go look at it this second as I just got in from an excursion myself and B: since it is a year old much could have changed.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#4 DownWithGluten

DownWithGluten

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:48 PM

Thanks. I think I will call them just to be sure. There isn't barley or wheat or rye listed but it does have 'natural flavors' kinda stuff.

#5 DownWithGluten

DownWithGluten

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:55 PM

Okay I called. Since it's new years they didn't have any live people. But the automated robot gave me a bunch of rigamarole that basically said if there is barley, rye or wheat in any ingredient, then they will list that in parentheses next to it. I don't see any of that on mine so I'm thinking it is probably safe. The said other stuff about distilling and possible exposure to wheat, so maybe that's why they don't label them as 'gluten free'...but basically I don't think there are any gluten ingredients in it.

hmm

#6 DownWithGluten

DownWithGluten

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:56 PM

Okay! Wanted to close the loop for those who are curious and for future individuals who may Google "swiss miss gluten free" in hope of answers.

I called them today and she confirmed that, yes, ALL varieties of Swiss Miss hot cocoa are gluten free. This includes the dark chocolate variety I was asking about, and any of the others. Mint, marshmallow, you name it. She said they are still in the process of getting all the boxes labelled as gluten free.

So circa Jan. 2, 2013, Swiss Miss hot chocolate, all varities, is gluten free. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: