Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Maple Bourbon Bacon Jam - Another Delicious Recipe!

• Please log in to reply

17 replies to this topic

#1 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:03 PM

As you know, I am into condiments and sauces in a BIG way (C&S). This is another wondrous version of bacon jam that I am itching to share. Caveat - you should at least double or triple this recipe. Karen, I haven't done this in a slow cooker but I'd bet it would be wonderful!

http://www.closetcoo...-bacon-jam.html
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,308 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:23 PM

It's practically the same as the other recipe. When that one cooks in the crockpot, you leave the lid off to evaporate out the extra liquid. So I would think you would do that here, too.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#3 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:26 AM

It's practically the same as the other recipe. When that one cooks in the crockpot, you leave the lid off to evaporate out the extra liquid. So I would think you would do that here, too.

Oops - I posted the incorrect recipe. Now I'm not sure where the original one got off to. Will post when I find it. It was quite different.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#4 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

We use the orig recipe with one minor change - half cider vinegar / half bourbon - yum!

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#5 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

We use the orig recipe with one minor change - half cider vinegar / half bourbon - yum!

I love that about recipes. You can take an idea and make changes to make it your own!

#6 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

I love that about recipes. You can take an idea and make changes to make it your own!

Honest disclosure...the recipe suggested the bourbon as an alternative - they were right!

-Lisa

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

#7 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:21 PM

Honest disclosure...the recipe suggested the bourbon as an alternative - they were right!

Yes, I remember that about the recipe but changing up recipes still applies anyway. ^_^ There is nothing that says you have to be married to what is written on paper (except many baking recipes where exact science is necessary) so I love it when people are inspired to create variations. What do you use with your bacon jam the most?

#8 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

Yes, I remember that about the recipe but changing up recipes still applies anyway. ^_^ There is nothing that says you have to be married to what is written on paper (except many baking recipes where exact science is necessary) so I love it when people are inspired to create variations. What do you use with your bacon jam the most?

I can't have but a taste right now....but my hubby, kids and extended family are wild for it.

On toast or waffles
served with crackers as an appetizer
I found little 4oz crock type jars that go home with guests -- if they return them they get refills

Karen did pizza -- so that will be a treat for my guys this weekend -- there is no bad time for Bacon Jam :D

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#9 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:04 PM

I use it the same way as Ski, and I also "shared some" with friends as gifts!.

COOL way to use it: Last week, I made home fries and at the end, I threw in a heaping spoonful of bacon jam and it coated the potato wedges and oh baby, was it good.

I also put it on pizza, on meatloaf, burgers, and on the hub's turkey sandwich.

He said it tasted like a turkey club--only better.!

and now, my jar is Gone... :(

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#10 luvs2eat

luvs2eat

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:42 AM

I made bacon jam this Christmas. I didn't use bourbon but it was to die for!! What a (RICH) delicious treat!! We enjoyed it on crackers or bread and I used it on pizza. YUM.
luvs2eat
Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas
positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy
diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day
Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

#11 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:31 AM

I made bacon jam this Christmas. I didn't use bourbon but it was to die for!! What a (RICH) delicious treat!! We enjoyed it on crackers or bread and I used it on pizza. YUM.

It is fabulous as a glaze for pork, too. I want to try it on duck as well. Makes awesome crostini (with cheese). I'm making a gluten free version of Welsh Rarebit for lunch and will spread the toast with a smear of bacon jam before adding the remaining ingredients. Should be wonderful!

#12 luvs2eat

luvs2eat

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:16 AM

My niece visited from France in October and gave me a small jar of onion confit. That's my new obsession!! Can't wait to make it! I used it just like I did the bacon jam.
luvs2eat
Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas
positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy
diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day
Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

#13 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:11 AM

My niece visited from France in October and gave me a small jar of onion confit. That's my new obsession!! Can't wait to make it! I used it just like I did the bacon jam.

Let us know how this goes - think I may be looking for a recipe on this suggestion very soon :D

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#14 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

Let us know how this goes - think I may be looking for a recipe on this suggestion very soon :D

Onion confit is very simple to make as is garlic confit. :P

#15 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

Simple is as simple does; and for them that doesn't, t'aint simple :P

I watched a cooking show where she made 'confit' of a whole bunch of things, and she just put them in a pan of olive oil and 'cooked' them over exceptionally low heat - is that how you do it?
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009