Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Does Coffee And Strong Tea Put Anyone Over The Edge And Give You Celiac Like Symptoms?

symptoms

• Please log in to reply

7 replies to this topic

#1 mommyto2kids

mommyto2kids

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:03 PM

I hate it when I don't know what does it and after I was doing so well. Have many people given up coffee, soda,
tea? I went to the gym and was fine and then came home and had a diet coke and the rest of my morning coffee and a few sips of yesterday's tea. Then felt girgly, but wanted to get take out for the kids. We went to pick it up and it hit like a train. I had to take 2 imodium while there. I hate that when I was doing so good. Sometimes I get lax after a span of doing so well. My dd said her stomach was bothering her so maybe it is a germ in our house. We had a fun night of drinking at my aunts a few night back. That could have made me more apt for an issue. Who knows. I also ate some semispoiled sunflower sprouts. I hate taking imodium because then it may plug for a few days and then have this same problem. I'll try to skip the coffee tomorrow. lol

On a better note, Happy new year everyone. I wish everyone a symptom free year. (In our dreams, I know. But I can wish it anyway.) :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:13 PM

I have been caffeine-free since approximately 1972. I drink only herbal/fruit teas. An occasional decaf coffee. Try eliminating the caffeine and see if it helps. Those things you mention, while hard to give up, are not giving you any nutrition anyway :) But if your daughter feels bad too, you may have gotten some cross-contamination somewhere.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:27 PM

Its the caffine probably. I generally don't do it as it makes me wide awake. I dropped it completely after my GERD got bad. I've yet to try it again.

#4 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:44 PM

I had to give up coffee and tea and caffeine sodas 9 years ago. I now have a couple of small teas a week but get a bit of reflux. I don't know if it is related to the celiac, but I uncovered it when doing an elimination diet when I also lost wheat. Wish I had known then what gluten is...
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#5 Sarahsmile416

Sarahsmile416

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:26 AM

Actually I had a similar reaction myself yesterday. I drank a coconut latte thinking that I usually do okay with little occasional cups of coffee...but boom, right afterwards and for hours after that, I had C, D and some pretty horrible abdominal pain. At first I blamed it on the caffeine, but since then, I am thinking it was either the milk or the syrup.

#6 LeakyGutRsrch

LeakyGutRsrch

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:04 AM

Both alcohol and coffee cause intestinal permeability to increase (leaky gut) and we are consequently more sensitive to gluten, lactose and fructose (sugar). I gues, given the recent New year celebrations, we will see more stories like this.

#7 Pac

Pac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:45 AM

I sometimes get very bad stomach cramps and D after drinking coffee or black tea. It happens about one out of 10 times and mostly when I don't put milk, other than that I haven't the slightest clue why I get this reaction. It's not my gluten symptoms so no cc involved.

#8 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:35 AM

I sometimes get very bad stomach cramps and D after drinking coffee or black tea. It happens about one out of 10 times and mostly when I don't put milk, other than that I haven't the slightest clue why I get this reaction. It's not my gluten symptoms so no cc involved.

Coffee is acidic and hurts my stomach if I don't add a bit of milk.

http://www.livestron...acid-in-coffee/

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: