This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Starting Gluten-Free Diet/lifestyle

VeggieGal

VeggieGal Contributor

So after having positive blood tests in October, I went gluten-free for approx 4 weeks and lived on rice cakes, hummus, carrots, salad, beans, homemade soup and jacket potatoes..but I actually felt better in that time than I had in ages in regards to acheyness, exhaustion and brainfog. I was then told by a dietician I needed to go back on gluten for preparation of intestinal biopsy...Bam! I didnt realise I had any major stomach issues until I went back on the yucky stuff!! So I've had a pretty miserable christmas but on 3rd Jan I'll have biopsy and irrespective of results, I will go gluten free from then on.

Question tho... when reading posts on here/newbies 101 etc, they always mention to cut out sugars and starches....why is that?? and what type of sugars and starches??

Anyway, to give myself a kickstart to the diet and so I have a set plan to follow I've decided to do the Jason Vales juicing 7 day challenge Open Original Shared Link

...was wondering if it actually maybe too much too soon to expect my guts to cope with? I'll prob fail it after a day anyway but is there any other food plans anyone knows I could follow just really to get me into buying the right stuff and get myself on a roll :)

I am veggie but do try to eat fish as long as its cremated, covered in sauce, no bones or skin (Im weird I know !!!)

Thanks for any advise :)

Apologies..think I should've put this post under "coping with section" pffft I'll blame it on the

brainfog :(

Happy New Year everyone..hope its a healthy and happy one !!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

Congrats on taking a positive step to good health.

Getting started on the diet means getting rid of the gluten, obviously. And most people think of going out and replacing their gluten items with gluten free substitutes. Or of doing something radical like a juice, or a cleanse to rid themselves of toxins. But your body will automatically flush out the toxins if given a chance. Your job is to help your body out as much as you can because it has been suffering from the gluten load.

So the best recommendation we have come up with is to eat whole foods from the perimeter of the supermarket. Fruits and vegetables, fish in your case, nuts, seeds, beans, and add in rice, gluten-free pasta, Udi's bread (acceptable to most). Some people handle corn, some of us don't. We do not recommend soy to start with because many of us are also intolerant of that - you can always add it in later. So almond milk, coconut milk, hemp milk and ice cream if you want, because you may find you are also intolerant of dairy too, if you are celiac. Not everyone eliminates sugars and starches although limiting them is a good idea.

This is a good way to get into the diet because it does not involve reading every label in the supermarket. You can add processed/packaged stuff gradually as you get used to label reading and ready to expand your diet. But you have to be patient, even though you apparently had a good response for four weeks. You may go through an up-and-down course during the first few months so do not be alarmed if this happens. You may also find other intolerances emerge as you go along, which have been submerged under the gluten response but can now express themselves.

Some people find the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (Scd) helpful with gluten free eating. I believe some of their recipes include gluten but you can substitute where necessary. There is a huge thread on the Scd on this forum.

Keep asking questions and we will do our best to help you. :)

VeggieGal Contributor

Congrats on taking a positive step to good health.

Getting started on the diet means getting rid of the gluten, obviously. And most people think of going out and replacing their gluten items with gluten free substitutes. Or of doing something radical like a juice, or a cleanse to rid themselves of toxins. But your body will automatically flush out the toxins if given a chance. Your job is to help your body out as much as you can because it has been suffering from the gluten load.

So the best recommendation we have come up with is to eat whole foods from the perimeter of the supermarket. Fruits and vegetables, fish in your case, nuts, seeds, beans, and add in rice, gluten-free pasta, Udi's bread (acceptable to most). Some people handle corn, some of us don't. We do not recommend soy to start with because many of us are also intolerant of that - you can always add it in later. So almond milk, coconut milk, hemp milk and ice cream if you want, because you may find you are also intolerant of dairy too, if you are celiac. Not everyone eliminates sugars and starches although limiting them is a good idea.

This is a good way to get into the diet because it does not involve reading every label in the supermarket. You can add processed/packaged stuff gradually as you get used to label reading and ready to expand your diet. But you have to be patient, even though you apparently had a good response for four weeks. You may go through an up-and-down course during the first few months so do not be alarmed if this happens. You may also find other intolerances emerge as you go along, which have been submerged under the gluten response but can now express themselves.

Some people find the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (Scd) helpful with gluten free eating. I believe some of their recipes include gluten but you can substitute where necessary. There is a huge thread on the Scd on this forum.

Keep asking questions and we will do our best to help you. :)

Cheers Mushroom...thats really helpful info. Ive had a look at Scd and it really does look like the best approach ..I may add in the odd juice if it allows it but must admit I was abit sceptical just living on juices for a week (youre right it is radical) but needed a starting point.

I might even try my son on it as hes got dyspraxia (the scd is apparentely good for autism and those with crohns which my sister has)... I will keep looking for more info on it but so far it looks ideal ...thank you :)

Ive just read the Scd diet kills yeast overgrowth too...oh yes its definately for me this one.

I've tried some of the packaged gluten free foods but they seem abit bland so Im sure I will stay away from them but there is some nice breakfast cereals. I love almond milk and yes I have a definate intolerance to cows milk and cheese as I get stomach cramps. Red cheese gives me migraines. Milk and cheese also affects my breathing, I don't know if thats because its not getting digested properly but an hour after eating it I'm out of breath just walking up stairs.

I'm just hoping by eating gluten again after the gap I had has not done any further damage being as I didnt have major gut probs before. And if theres one thing thats deteriorated, its my eyes which really scares me so hope they improve.

Anyway, I'm gonna try and be positive about this and thanks I'm sure I'll be asking lots lots more :)

Archived