Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Anyone Not Have A Stronger Reaction To Gluten After Going gluten-free?

16 posts in this topic

I've noticed that this seems to be a common theme, but it also may just seem more noteworthy to post about a more severe reaction to gluten after going gluten-free than to post about an unpleasant but not especially spectacular reaction.

Starting this thread in the hopes of pulling for the other end of the sample and maybe getting a more balanced perspective.

And yes, I am aware that even if you don't have a huge reaction, with celiac it is not OK to eat gluten, and it *will* damage you even if you don't have an immediate, punishing reaction. From the sound of it, accidental gluten ingestion happens to most of us at some point, though, so it strikes me as relevant information even if fully committed to being gluten-free.

Ads by Google:

I was going to post something similar. I was gluten free for 3 weeks then decided to "test" (a piece of bread) and had no reaction. At least no tummy ones. I was really surprised since my tummy has still been really bad even without gluten so maybe I really don't have a gluten issue?

If I accidentally get some gluten, i.e., in a Rx or such, my reaction is the same as before gluten free. Of course, I recognize it for what it is and am more aware of it, but it is not any different.

Outside of some mild cramping and "C" on occasion, i seem to really not have any :blink: so strange.

I fit this post. I had no symptoms prior to going gluten free - and have had no symptoms since going gluten free - four months ago. If it weren't for the positive blood tests and positive endoscopy - I would question whether or not I really had Celiac! I can't imagine that I haven't messed up being totally gluten free over the past four months. I was actually hoping to get a tiny bit more sensitive so I would know if I am sticking to the diet correctly.

I was glutened a couple of times in the first two months and I remember those reactions being the same as those I had before going gluten-free. The symptoms just seemed more noticeable because I was not longer used to stomach aches and bloating.

Not me. I was diagnosed as a silent celiac and have been strictly gluten free for about 19 months now. As far as I know I have only been accidentally glutened twice. The only way I knew is that I found that one product packaging had been labelled incorrectly; the other was in a restaurant in Europe that caught my mistake after the fact. Didn't get sick or anything but I am still unwilling to ingest any gluten. Sometimes I wish I had some indication of being glutened - not very sick, obviously, but just something minor.

I fit this post. I had no symptoms prior to going gluten free - and have had no symptoms since going gluten free - four months ago. If it weren't for the positive blood tests and positive endoscopy - I would question whether or not I really had Celiac! I can't imagine that I haven't messed up being totally gluten free over the past four months. I was actually hoping to get a tiny bit more sensitive so I would know if I am sticking to the diet correctly.

Omg this is pretty much exactly me, even down to the timings. I got screened because my sister was diagnosed, however I've never had any noticable symptoms. Accidentally got glutened a few days ago (was so annoyed, my own fault for not checking properly) and didn't really react at all.

I know that those who have strong reactions would call us lucky, but I was actually hoping I'd have something noticable as a barometer for whether I'm getting CC'd or accidentally ingesting. I know that I have to follow gluten-free strictly, but without any tangible benefit after 4 months it's pretty frustrating.

Physical symptoms are a poor indication of what is actually happening in the intestine. Even people on a strict gluten-free diet can have damage that persists for a long time, even years. While this forum is not intended to provide medical advice, everthing I have read would indicate that if you have had a positive diagnosis you should be avoiding even traces of gluten.

I've been gluten free for 8 years, and for the first six of them I had very strong reactions

to the rare glutening I experienced. I went over a year without being glutened, and then

this past May I was glutened by a restaurant. I knew it happened in the restaurant, but

I am a 48-hour reactor, so I had time to prepare. It was the mildest reaction I've ever had,

which may have something to do with the digestive enzymes, detox tea, and charcoal I

started taking right away, or might not. So either that combo works GREAT (possible) or

my reactions are now much less severe. Or both!

Ummm...in my post above I spoke too soon. Had the first obvious gluten reaction in my life this week. And by obvious I mean something that I could without question immediately tie obvious symptoms to a product that contained gluten. Of course I would never, ever deliberately ingest gluten and I, too, realize that despite being so-called asymptomatic (I had other symptoms in retrospect such as miscarriages but did not tie it to gluten at the time) damage is still being done. Anyway, 15 little minutes after eating 1/4 of a pudding cup, I suddenly had a migraine (rare with me these days), vomiting, swollen lips, diarrhea and plugged sinuses. Sure enough. Somehow I had missed "wheat starch" on the label. I am such an avid careful label reader! It is actually a relief that I got sick so I now know what to look out for. It was very difficult before not having a clue whether I was glutened or not! Well, now I know. ;) Makes me wonder whether I had some sort of allergic reaction, too, considering the swollen lips and plugged nose/sinuses. Now I can better relate to those of you who get so ill!

love2, with swollen lips and vomiting that does sound like a possible allergic reaction. May be worth talking to a doctor to see if you sshould have epipens around. I am not an expert, but my son has nut allergy, and we were advised that if you have had a reaction it can become more severe on subsequent exposures.

love2, with swollen lips and vomiting that does sound like a possible allergic reaction. May be worth talking to a doctor to see if you sshould have epipens around. I am not an expert, but my son has nut allergy, and we were advised that if you have had a reaction it can become more severe on subsequent exposures.

Yes - I'm booking a doctor appointment anyway and will definitely bring this up. It does indeed sound like an allergic reaction. I am thankful Benadryl took care of it but one never knows with subsequent exposures!

I didn't have strong reactions at first, I might get a little bloated if I ate quite a bit (at first I used to cheat here and there), but over the last year and a half I stopped cheating and every time I've been accidentally glutened since, it's been about 10x worse then the last time. It's strange how much it increased for me, especially since I was pretty well asymptomatic at first. Now if I get glutened I'm very sick for a week (bloating, nausea, fatigue etc...) and it's been a month and a half since my last gluten instance and I'm still feeling it unfortunately. It also seemed to have knocked out my immune system too, as I am normally very healthy but have been sick with either the flu or a cold since then.

I didn't have strong reactions at first, I might get a little bloated if I ate quite a bit (at first I used to cheat here and there), but over the last year and a half I stopped cheating and every time I've been accidentally glutened since, it's been about 10x worse then the last time. It's strange how much it increased for me, especially since I was pretty well asymptomatic at first. Now if I get glutened I'm very sick for a week (bloating, nausea, fatigue etc...) and it's been a month and a half since my last gluten instance and I'm still feeling it unfortunately. It also seemed to have knocked out my immune system too, as I am normally very healthy but have been sick with either the flu or a cold since then.

Don't underestimate how much of the "lingering glutening" might be the flu. If you're in the US, flu is EVERYWHERE right now.

I got "glutened" today at work. I have been gluten-free since Jan. 3. I needed a fork for my lunch, and went to the cafeteria to get one. 15 minutes after eating, I had horrific diarrhea - and was in the bathroom for 15 minutes. The only thing I can think of, is the students touch as many forks as they can before they ever pick one.

No more cafeteria forks for me!!