Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Pest Resistant Molecules In Wheat

11 posts in this topic

Ads by Google:

Seems like the innate immune response is showing up more in research about celiac these days. I've seen it mentioned in regards to Crohn's disease also. Seems like the Crohn's info was something to the affect of a granulatomous (sp) like immune reaction. I am not sure if they are saying that GMO's are causing this innate response or not? Well, it's interesting the research is coming up with new info on NCGI now. It took long enough for that to happen. Thanks Karen, I'll try to read the article when I have more brain power. Maybe next year. Ooops, it's already next year! Dang!

Innate immune response in AI diseases

http://www.celiac.com/articles/23149/1/Gliadin-Triggers-Innate-Immune-Reaction-in-Celiac-and-Non-celiac-Individuals/Page1.html

I'll try to read the article when I have more brain power. Maybe next year. Ooops, it's already next year! Dang!

That's why I asked for people's thoughts! :0

Interesting, thanks. It looks like it is going to take a long time to get this all figured out.

So the wheat "looks" at us as big munching bugs. Or my stomach looks at wheat as bio- bug repellant. Or I have a lot in common with insects that eat grains. I could be descended from grasshoppers. Or insects could be becoming more like us, as we keep changing plants to resist insects, the insects benefit from our accidentally making the plants less compatible with our biology, so the insects can win another round.

Or something like that. :ph34r:

You might like to read the following research on lectins:

http://www.bib.fsagx...t/v14n1/225.pdf

:o:ph34r:

Until now, many lectins from different origins such as Allium sativum agglutinin (ASA), Wheat germ agglutinin (WGA), Urtica dioica agglutinin (UDA) Phytohemagglutinin ( PHA), a lectin from the red kidney bean, Phaseolus vulgaris L., Pisum sativum lectin (PSL), ConA, XCL and GNA have been isolated and partially characterized for their effects on insect pests, but among them some of encoding insecticidal lectins such as GNA, ConA, WGA and PSA have been shown greater potential for expression into a variety of crops including wheat, tobacco, sugarcane, rice and potatoes as resistant factors against some of important insect pests....

Sure, whattheheck, just put WGA in to rice, who cares.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean that they (GMO special interests) aren't out to get you. :wacko:

I just wish that these researchers would consider the effects on HUMANS of these substances, instead of the effects on plants and pests. :ph34r:

Good one Karen!

Unfortunately I clicked on the thread when I am need of a glass of vino...will read later or in the morning :)

You might like to read the following research on lectins:

http://www.bib.fsagx...t/v14n1/225.pdf

Nice. Love when ideas for reading just pop up here. Will read this one too -- after the wine or manana.