This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Recurrent Miscarriage, Rashes, Digestive Issues...celiac?

Northern gal

Northern gal Newbie

Hi there,

Hoping to get some thoughts from others out there who are familiar with the range of symptoms and issues associated with celiac disease (or gluten intolerance).

My story is sad and complicated, but basically starts with the fact that I'm 26 and have had 5 early miscarriages in the past year. Testing was inconclusive, until finally my RE found that I have an autoimmune thyroid condition (anti-thyroid antibodies/hashimotos). He started me on a low dose of synthroid to boost me up (even though my current TSH is considered "normal".

Anyways, in reading more about autoimmune thyroid conditions, I found out that they are highly related to celiac disease and that they can also respond to a gluten-free diet. So I decided to go gluten-free because, well, at this point I'm willing to try anything to be able to have a healthy baby.

After doing all this reading, I've done done more reflecting and an convinced I have done kind of gluten intolerance issue. I did blood testing a couple of days after first deciding to try gluten-free, and the clinic said that should still be Ok for identifying the antibodies/tissue transglutaminase). I'll find out in January.

Anyway, my symptoms include:

- recurrent pregnancy loss (infertility)

- thyroid autoimmunity

- skin rashes (Not DH), possibly eczema or chronic hives

- dairy intolerance developed in the last few years (this has *completely* improved since going gluten-free 2 weeks ago)

- stomach gurgling, gas and bloating (also stopped on going gluten-free)

- chronically loose, smelly stool (sorry TMI! But, my BMs have been completely normal on going gluten-free!)

- grandmother recently told me my uncle "was celiac as a child but grew out if it" (right. )

It seems fairly compelling to ne, especially given my digestive improvements. I'm even thinking that if the blood test comes back negative, I might just stay gluten-free to see how it goes (with pregnancy, thyroid condition, digestive health, etc).

What do you think? Thoughts, insights, or advice greatly appreciated!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

Hi Northern gal, and welcome.

The short answer to your question, is Yes and Yes, both to either celiac or non-celiac gluten intolerance, and to it being the cause of frequent miscarriages; it is highly likely. If you use forum's search engine and enter celiac and miscarriage in the box you will find many discussions on the board on this subject. We have multiple posters who have had trouble conceiving or trouble carrying to term who have had successful pregnancies once off gluten.

Read up and come back and ask specific questions if you still have them. Best wishes for a conclusive result when your tests come back. Even if they come back negative, you should give the diet a trial for three to six months because of the newly recognized condition (by doctors and researchers) of non-celiac gluten sensitivity. Which means you will test negative for celiac but still not tolerate gluten :)

squirmingitch Veteran

I think it's highly probable. It sounds like you've done your homework when you state the sarcastic "right" re: your uncle growing out of celiac disease.

NOW, I just hope they did all the correct blood work on you. So many do not know what the full celiac panel consists of.

And I applaud your desire to give gluten-free a good solid try even if the blood comes back normal. The only reason for you to really have an official dx is when you have children; if you have an official dx then if they show signs of celiac it would be easier to convince the powers that be to test your kids.

And welcome to the board! :)

• 5 months later...
evergreen474 Newbie

Hey Northern gal,

Did you ever get a conclusive result from your doctor with a diagnosis? Are you still on a gluten-free diet? Any more miscarriages? After reading your post and several others, along with recent journal articles, I feel like I've had a lightbulb go on over my head. I've had 3 early miscarriages in the past 10 months. My doctor wants to test me for random genetics disorders and the like. But of course, why didn't I think of gluten issues before this!? My mom has celiac disease and I've had random GI issues almost my entire life. Gluten sensitivity seems like a much more plausible solution. 

powerofpositivethinking Community Regular

welcome, evergreen474  :)

Since your mother has celiac, and with your miscarriages, I would highly suggest you get tested for celiac.  Do NOT stop eating gluten until all testing is complete.  A complete panel is:

Comprehensive Celiac Panel:

DGP iga/igg

ttg iga/igg

EMA

Total iga serum-this is a control test to make sure you make enough iga to validate the other testing

check out page 12 in this report for testing information:

Open Original Shared Link

Check out the chapter in the book Real Life with Celiac Disease by Dennis and Leffler regarding fertility. I'm not at home right now, so I can't remember the exact quote but there was something to the effect that all people with unexplained fertility should be tested for celiac disease.

Your GP can order the above tests. Good luck!

Hey Northern gal,

Did you ever get a conclusive result from your doctor with a diagnosis? Are you still on a gluten-free diet? Any more miscarriages? After reading your post and several others, along with recent journal articles, I feel like I've had a lightbulb go on over my head. I've had 3 early miscarriages in the past 10 months. My doctor wants to test me for random genetics disorders and the like. But of course, why didn't I think of gluten issues before this!? My mom has celiac disease and I've had random GI issues almost my entire life. Gluten sensitivity seems like a much more plausible solution. 

kareng Grand Master

Hey Northern gal,

Your OB/GYN can run the blood test for Celiac.  You could show him/her some info if they don't know about it.

evergreen474 Newbie

welcome, evergreen474  :)

Since your mother has celiac, and with your miscarriages, I would highly suggest you get tested for celiac.  Do NOT stop eating gluten until all testing is complete.  A complete panel is:

Comprehensive Celiac Panel:

DGP iga/igg

ttg iga/igg

EMA

Total iga serum-this is a control test to make sure you make enough iga to validate the other testing

check out page 12 in this report for testing information:

Check out the chapter in the book Real Life with Celiac Disease by Dennis and Leffler regarding fertility. I'm not at home right now, so I can't remember the exact quote but there was something to the effect that all people with unexplained fertility should be tested for celiac disease.

Your GP can order the above tests. Good luck!

Thanks for your advice. I'm going to bring this to my OB later this month when I see him. I'd rather run a celiac panel than the genetic panel. And if it is celiac disease or gluten sensitivity, it's a much easier fix than a chromosomal disorder. :) I can barely think of going through another miscarriage again. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 years later...
DandelionH Apprentice

Hi Evergreen!
Did you find out if you had Celiac?  Did your symptoms remain at bay on gluten-free? My mum's experience is a lot like yours (and my Grandma is diagnosed) and I'd really like her to get tested but she's (a doctor! who is) from the generation where "I don't have stomach symptoms" means it isn't worth bothering...
x

Archived