Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Happy New Year! Now For Some Questions...

• Please log in to reply

1 reply to this topic

#1 BarryC

BarryC

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:51 PM

I am sure the regular users must get a bit tired of this, but I am still coming around to the fact I probably have non celiac gluten sensitivity.
Here is some background:
I was always a chubby kid, but home made bread and sandwhices were staples at my house. Even as an adult I had to have toast at least once a day, slathered in butter.
In the past few months I have begun slowly losing a little weight and my digestion issues improved as I switched to a low fat diet. I had tried low carb diets in the past which worked to a degree, but that entailed eating lots of meat/fat.
In the last two weeks I have been low glycemic in addition to the low fat-its pretty hard to do both!
My other health issues, other than digestion, have not improved. That would be tiredness, slow wound healing, and sore joints.
I did try the gluten free thing on and off in the past with some success. I had more energy, my bloated belly shrank, and felt all around better, but friends talked me out of it since I didnt have diareea and the other main celiac symptoms.
The idea of being non celiac gluten sensitive though is starting to make sense.
My next idea is to continue low fat-I think I am pretty sensitive to weight gain and digestion issues from any kind of fat, and I am now going no gluten instead of low glycemic. At least I can have rice, potatoes, and gluten free stuff of which lots is out there now.
Thanks one and all for your thoughts, and good luck in the new year.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

What do you mean by "on and off"? If you have not tried it at least 3-6 months, it doesn't count. Most overweight gluten intolerants find that they lose some weight when they go on the gluten-free diet. (As most skinnies find they gain.) It is just a different bodily mechanism.

It is never good to eat a bunch of high glycemic foods in general. If you are eating potato, better to eat a baked potato than a thoroughly mashed one which goes straight to the blood stream as sugar. And cutting down on sugars is good for all of us. The fewer empty calories we have the more good nutrition we can cram in. Proper amounts of good quality fats are essential to good nutrition. Think olive oil, avocados, sardines, salmon, butter, coconut milk and oil. The old saw "everything in moderation" is still a good one. :) (and that goes for everything except the processed junk food and sodas, which are best strictly limited, and of course gluten for the gluten-intolerant, where even a crumb is verboten.)
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009