#1 maggiesimpson

maggiesimpson

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

http://www.planitpro...toastabags.html
So, I found these in the health food section of my grocery store, conveniently placed near the gluten free foods. They are toastabags. I use to get a mild upset stomach when I used the toaster for my gluten-free bread. Now, I have no problems at all. As far as I can tell there is no cross contamination going on. These were advertised on the package as a way to make grilled cheese sandwiches in your toaster. Since I only toast plain bread, I don't wash them much. They can be cleaned with soap and water or put in the dishwasher if you wish. They have other products, but I haven't checked them out yet.
Megan
Diagnosed with Hashimoto's in 2003
Total thyroidectomy in 2003
Diagnosed gluten intolerant with the help of a holistic nutritionist in 2012

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:01 PM

Our Kareng invented those!.

No, just kidding, but she did turn me on to them for travel . :D

They are called Toast It bags here in the states.

http://www.thewestvi...ags_p_1410.html

And yes, they are very helpful indeed! Glad you found them ---as using a shared toaster is a dicey
proposition. and a big No-no.

Cheers!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#3 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,114 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

Was going to say Toastit, but IH beat me to it.

Jess found a link & previously posted it, for making them yourself, too:

http://lifehacker.co...sted-sandwiches

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:03 PM

Just a friendly FYI, it pays to stand by and watch it you use the toaster and parchment paper combo. My toaster started on fire the 2nd or 3rd time I used the (homemade) sleeves.

I bought a new toaster for around $6.00, it works like a charm and has for 2 years.

Really glad I wasn't in the shower...
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#5 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,114 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:07 PM

Just a friendly FYI, it pays to stand by and watch it you use the toaster and parchment paper combo. My toaster started on fire the 2nd or 3rd time I used the (homemade) sleeves.

I bought a new toaster for around $6.00, it works like a charm and has for 2 years.

Really glad I wasn't in the shower...

Oh no! I sometimes put my frozen bread in the toaster for a preliminary toast, myself!

And...Congrats on finding a $6 toaster! That earns you the frugal shopper of the day award! I wanted a red one so I think I paid $20.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

#6 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

Red is always best IMHO.

I prefered my indoor grill for heating up gluten-free bread or biscuits when I wasn't hovering over the toaster.
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#7 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:02 AM

All my gluten-free equipment is purple and fantastic! Good heads up on the fire issues, I have one ready for travel.
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#8 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:20 AM

I have to giggle because like Marilyn, I found one (I think it was $7 maybe? ) at Walmart's when we were in Florida last year.

I decided I preferred direct toasting and not the bags and so, it became part of the traveling kitchen we lug around. :lol:

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#9 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

All my gluten-free equipment is purple and fantastic! Good heads up on the fire issues, I have one ready for travel.

Fire extinguisher or spare $6 toaster, inquiring minds want to know.

xxx Happy New Year!

#10 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:40 PM

Purple toaster, 10 I think, not checked the exchange rate. I gave up gluten-free bread about 2 weeks later, but it still has a place on my counter becauze I love it so much. It is kind of symbolic of my space and stuff.

Not sure if that's what you meant. I guess the toaster bags are a bit hypothetical too really. Self delusion is a wonderful thing :)
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#11 Em314

Em314

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:50 AM

I would assume at some point it would become cheaper to have purchased a seperate toaster than to keep wrapping toast up to protect it from the shared toaster.
Diagnosed celiac December 2012 (bloodwork + endoscopy). Gluten-free since.

#12 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,114 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:30 AM

I would assume at some point it would become cheaper to have purchased a seperate toaster than to keep wrapping toast up to protect it from the shared toaster.

Wrapping or toastit bags are great when travelling. I know people who get them and don't eat gluten-free. They hate the dirty toasters at the hotel breakfast. They were advertised many, many years ago as a way for college kids to re-heat pizza.. Back in the day we were allowed a toaster in our rooms, before microwaves.

LTES

#13 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:47 AM

Back in the day we were allowed a toaster in our rooms, before microwaves.

oh,yes, during the Harding administration we only had toasters.....

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#14 kristenloeh

kristenloeh

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:19 AM

Yesss, the Toast It bags are awesome!!

Diagnosed Celiac 04.2012
Gluten-Free 04.2012

Diagnosed Pituitary Prolactinoma 12.2012

Low Cortisol/Possible Addison's Disease 02.2013

Maybe one day I will feel "normal" again. <3

#15 Em314

Em314

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

Wrapping or toastit bags are great when travelling. I know people who get them and don't eat gluten-free. They hate the dirty toasters at the hotel breakfast. They were advertised many, many years ago as a way for college kids to re-heat pizza.. Back in the day we were allowed a toaster in our rooms, before microwaves.

OK, that does make sense. Not so much at home, though, if you're making toast a lot.
Diagnosed celiac December 2012 (bloodwork + endoscopy). Gluten-free since.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: