This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Possible Toaster Solution

maggiesimpson

maggiesimpson Apprentice

Open Original Shared Link

So, I found these in the health food section of my grocery store, conveniently placed near the gluten free foods. They are toastabags. I use to get a mild upset stomach when I used the toaster for my gluten-free bread. Now, I have no problems at all. As far as I can tell there is no cross contamination going on. These were advertised on the package as a way to make grilled cheese sandwiches in your toaster. Since I only toast plain bread, I don't wash them much. They can be cleaned with soap and water or put in the dishwasher if you wish. They have other products, but I haven't checked them out yet.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

Our Kareng invented those!.

No, just kidding, but she did turn me on to them for travel . :D

They are called Toast It bags here in the states.

And yes, they are very helpful indeed! Glad you found them ---as using a shared toaster is a dicey

proposition. and a big No-no.

Cheers!

kareng Grand Master

Was going to say Toastit, but IH beat me to it.

Jess found a link & previously posted it, for making them yourself, too:

Marilyn R Community Regular

Just a friendly FYI, it pays to stand by and watch it you use the toaster and parchment paper combo. My toaster started on fire the 2nd or 3rd time I used the (homemade) sleeves.

I bought a new toaster for around $6.00, it works like a charm and has for 2 years.

Really glad I wasn't in the shower...

kareng Grand Master

Just a friendly FYI, it pays to stand by and watch it you use the toaster and parchment paper combo. My toaster started on fire the 2nd or 3rd time I used the (homemade) sleeves.

I bought a new toaster for around $6.00, it works like a charm and has for 2 years.

Really glad I wasn't in the shower...

Oh no! I sometimes put my frozen bread in the toaster for a preliminary toast, myself!

And...Congrats on finding a $6 toaster! That earns you the frugal shopper of the day award! I wanted a red one so I think I paid $20.

Red is always best IMHO.

I prefered my indoor grill for heating up gluten-free bread or biscuits when I wasn't hovering over the toaster.

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

All my gluten-free equipment is purple and fantastic! Good heads up on the fire issues, I have one ready for travel.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

I have to giggle because like Marilyn, I found one (I think it was $7 maybe? ) at Walmart's when we were in Florida last year.

I decided I preferred direct toasting and not the bags and so, it became part of the traveling kitchen we lug around. :lol:

All my gluten-free equipment is purple and fantastic! Good heads up on the fire issues, I have one ready for travel.

Fire extinguisher or spare $6 toaster, inquiring minds want to know.

xxx Happy New Year!

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

Purple toaster,

Em314 Explorer

I would assume at some point it would become cheaper to have purchased a seperate toaster than to keep wrapping toast up to protect it from the shared toaster.

kareng Grand Master

I would assume at some point it would become cheaper to have purchased a seperate toaster than to keep wrapping toast up to protect it from the shared toaster.

Wrapping or toastit bags are great when travelling. I know people who get them and don't eat gluten-free. They hate the dirty toasters at the hotel breakfast. They were advertised many, many years ago as a way for college kids to re-heat pizza.. Back in the day we were allowed a toaster in our rooms, before microwaves.

IrishHeart Veteran

Back in the day we were allowed a toaster in our rooms, before microwaves.

oh,yes, during the Harding administration we only had toasters.....

kristenloeh Community Regular

Yesss, the Toast It bags are awesome!!

Em314 Explorer

Wrapping or toastit bags are great when travelling. I know people who get them and don't eat gluten-free. They hate the dirty toasters at the hotel breakfast. They were advertised many, many years ago as a way for college kids to re-heat pizza.. Back in the day we were allowed a toaster in our rooms, before microwaves.

OK, that does make sense. Not so much at home, though, if you're making toast a lot.

Archived