4 replies to this topic

#1 Rubyrue

Rubyrue

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:47 PM

I was recently dx with celiac and have great family support. Between my positive blood test and my endoscopy I spent a lot of time learning about celiac and what is safe. I read somewhere that certified gluten free foods were safe and have not read bag/box as long as I see the certified gluten free symbol. (I make my meals but like to have snacks available for busy days or just as a treat.) Over the holiday a family member bought me some flavored popcorn that was certified gluten free. I enjoyed two bowls of said popcorn and within hours I had a reaction. After I reviewed what I ate, the popcorn was the only new food item I had introduced so I knew that was it. After getting sick I read the bag, a lesson I have now learned and will always do from now on even if it is certified gluten free, it states that it is manufactured in a facility that also processes wheat. Groan.

Anyone else had a similar experience? Feeling overwhelmed again, after thinking I had a handle on this.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,149 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

If something is " certified gluten free" it is probably tested for gluten. There are various tests but under 20 parts per million is considered safe for most Celiacs. Many companies use tests for less than 10 or even 5 ppm.

When I first went gluten-free, popcorn was very hard on my stomach. Corn seems to be hard to digest for me, especially in the beginning.

No company has to tell you if they also process wheat on the same machinery or in the same facility. That is voluntary. If you allow gluten in your kitchen or eat at another person's house or in a restaurant, you are eating food produced in a " shared facility".

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,049 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:26 PM

If you are recently diagnosed, your body has sustained damage caused by celiac disease. It will take time to heal--several months as a minimum. While you are healing, you may experience reactions that have nothing to do with gluten in your food, just that your intestines are still having trouble with everything.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:04 AM

I have had a similar experience. Though 20 ppm is considered safe for most celiacs, that doesn't mean all celiacs. I had to find that out the hard way. Just because another can eat something won't necessarily mean that you can. There are also different standards for what certified gluten free means. It could be just that you are new to all this as mentioned above. You need to be patient. It takes time to figure this all out. Meanwhile, you health is improving every day. Even if you make a little mistake, it is much better than when you were eating a full gluten diet.

#5 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

Costco has some Lets Eat Pastry organic chocolate chip cookie dough that is certified gluten free. When you turn it over to read the ingredients in tiny tiny letters it says made on shared equipment with wheat.....I returned it. Its not worth it to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: