This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Celiac? Help!

Don't Blink

Don't Blink Newbie

I'm wondering if someone here can point me in the right direction. I'm making an appointment with my doctor tomorrow, but I want to make sure that I ask the right questions and request the right tests.

I am a 28 year old woman. I have always had digestive difficulties that resemble IBS including lactose intolerance. I am always sick to my stomach in the morning and am often sick to my stomach throughout the day (bloating, flatulence, loose stools sorry tmi). I am very short and had late-onset puberty. I have asthma and a long list of environmental allergies. I have anxiety/depression and Asperger Syndrome. I tend to be anemic.

After my second child's birth I began to experience lethargy and weight gain. I became infertile and was diagnosed with PCOS (even though I have no actual cysts on my ovaries) and probable endometriosis because of the intense pain I had in my abdomen (despite the fact that this pain was in the bowel). I began to have intense pain before BMs, but because it was worse during periods they suspected endo. In passing the doctor recommended I try a gluten-free diet as I might be sensitive to it. She didn't do any testing for it so I'm not sure why she said that. I did not go on a gluten-free diet at that time.

Over the next few years after this I began to develop neuropathy pain and tingling. My lactose intolerance and asthma became far worse as well.

A few months back my husband and I did an Atkins diet together. I've never felt better in my life. I jumped out of bed in the morning with more energy than I'd ever had. It was nothing short of miraculous. My lactose intolerance disappeared during this time. It reappeared with a vengeance after we quit the diet. My energy levels are very low again.

Over the past month I have developed a horrible rash of red bumps on my scalp. They ooze a little and are painful and a bit itchy.

Two weeks ago I contracted a respiratory virus. It effected my family members minimally, but I was laid up in bed for about 2 weeks with horrible diarrhea. I was existing on ginger ale, crackers, and pasta. I am on an antidepressant that is prescribed off-label for IBS, so I should NOT be having diarrhea. Neuropathy became worse as well.

I have been on a gluten free diet for two days and have not had diarrhea in 24 hours. I have to think that it is not a coincidence. The rash on my head is still awful, though. I'm afraid my hair is going to start to fall out.

Any thoughts? What should I tell my doctor?

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Marilyn R Community Regular

I'm wondering if someone here can point me in the right direction. I'm making an appointment with my doctor tomorrow, but I want to make sure that I ask the right questions and request the right tests.

I am a 28 year old woman. I have always had digestive difficulties that resemble IBS including lactose intolerance. I am always sick to my stomach in the morning and am often sick to my stomach throughout the day (bloating, flatulence, loose stools sorry tmi). I am very short and had late-onset puberty. I have asthma and a long list of environmental allergies. I have anxiety/depression and Asperger Syndrome. I tend to be anemic.

After my second child's birth I began to experience lethargy and weight gain. I became infertile and was diagnosed with PCOS (even though I have no actual cysts on my ovaries) and probable endometriosis because of the intense pain I had in my abdomen (despite the fact that this pain was in the bowel). I began to have intense pain before BMs, but because it was worse during periods they suspected endo. In passing the doctor recommended I try a gluten-free diet as I might be sensitive to it. She didn't do any testing for it so I'm not sure why she said that. I did not go on a gluten-free diet at that time.

Over the next few years after this I began to develop neuropathy pain and tingling. My lactose intolerance and asthma became far worse as well.

A few months back my husband and I did an Atkins diet together. I've never felt better in my life. I jumped out of bed in the morning with more energy than I'd ever had. It was nothing short of miraculous. My lactose intolerance disappeared during this time. It reappeared with a vengeance after we quit the diet. My energy levels are very low again.

Over the past month I have developed a horrible rash of red bumps on my scalp. They ooze a little and are painful and a bit itchy.

Two weeks ago I contracted a respiratory virus. It effected my family members minimally, but I was laid up in bed for about 2 weeks with horrible diarrhea. I was existing on ginger ale, crackers, and pasta. I am on an antidepressant that is prescribed off-label for IBS, so I should NOT be having diarrhea. Neuropathy became worse as well.

I have been on a gluten free diet for two days and have not had diarrhea in 24 hours. I have to think that it is not a coincidence. The rash on my head is still awful, though. I'm afraid my hair is going to start to fall out.

Any thoughts? What should I tell my doctor?

Thanks!

Aak! Sounds like you are reliving my life, but you're younger. Tell your dr. you want a celiac panel blood test. If he doesn't know what that is, tell him to write it in, any lab will know.

Good luck, wish you good health!

1desperateladysaved Proficient

Hi Don't Blink,

I am sorry you have been suffering like this. I hope you will find a definitive answer to your health problems. I would tell your doctor everything above. I would also ask them to do a complete Celiac profile. Caution do find the whole list on the forum. I will try if I remember. The tests really should be done before you go gluten free to be accurate. Otherwise you could get a false negative.

You already have had a positive reaction to the diet. Several of the symptoms you mentioned are discussed on the forum. The rash could be anything, but could also be a result of the diet. For me, when starting a natural remedy, such as diet, I count any reaction as good. Sometimes one gets a little worse before they get better.

Diana

squirmingitch Veteran

Boy, you sound like a prime candidate! Okay, first off this is really, really important.

You must not stop eating a normal gluten filled diet until ALL testing is finished including an endoscopy/biopsy.

If you do, you will run the risk of false negative results.

Here is the current FULL celiac blood panel:

Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgA

Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgG

Anti-Endomysial (EMA) IgA

Anti-Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA

Deamidated Gliadin Peptide (DGP) IgA and IgG

Total Serum IgA

The DGP test was added recently to the full panel.

Also can be termed this way:

Endomysial Antibody IgA

Tissue Transglutaminase IgA

GLIADIN IgG

GLIADIN IgA

Total Serum IgA

Deamidated Gliadin Peptide (DGP) IgA and IgG

Ollie's Mom Apprentice

A fellow aspie!

The advice you received above is excellent (as always). And remember, keep eating gluten until all testing is done.

Then regardless if the results, if I were you, I'd go gluten-free. I feel much less autistic when I am gluten-free (and dairy free helps even more). If I get glutened, I can feel myself withdrawing and my sensory issues (touch, sound) take on a life if their own. This goes along with my D and rash (which I suspect is DH).

I'm curious - did you feel "less autistic" when you were on the Atkins diet? In addition to finding relief with your other symptoms?

Don't Blink Newbie

A fellow aspie!

The advice you received above is excellent (as always). And remember, keep eating gluten until all testing is done.

Then regardless if the results, if I were you, I'd go gluten-free. I feel much less autistic when I am gluten-free (and dairy free helps even more). If I get glutened, I can feel myself withdrawing and my sensory issues (touch, sound) take on a life if their own. This goes along with my D and rash (which I suspect is DH).

I'm curious - did you feel "less autistic" when you were on the Atkins diet? In addition to finding relief with your other symptoms?

A fellow aspie!

I become withdrawn when I feel ill. I am very sensory-defensive, so any extra stimuli on top of the illness seems magnified because I'm already so overwhelmed. So I wouldn't say I felt "less autistic" on Atkins, but my sensory difficulties were not as pronounced. I still had overwhelming urges to read for hours on end, a strong aversion to social situations, the tendency to put a song on repeat for hours, and an inability to pick up on sarcasm, just to name a few of my quirks. ;-) Now that I think about it, my mind was less "foggy." The fog can make it hard for me to focus and complete tasks. Fortunately I'm sort of a compulsive list-maker, which helps a great deal.

Thanks for all replies. I will go back on a gluten diet (UGH). I had been feeling a bit better, but I am not feeling so well today after eating some gluten-free pretzels and cookies. Gassy and running to the bathroom (sorry tmi). I think I'll stick with less processed items.

Archived