Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Even More Confused

1 post in this topic

I went gluten free for 3 weeks, I am pretty sure I didn't get any gluten during that time. My tummy problems never went away, stayed about the same really. I decided to test and had a slice of bread, assuming my stomach would get really upset but it didn't. So does that mean maybe I don't have an issue with gluten? Do I need to go longer than 3 weeks before I test? (background: lots of symptoms, brother diagnosed, I have celiac gene but neg blood tests and pill cam study was normal)

Ads by Google:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• As a GI specialty nurse who also has celiac I can tell you that it can not be diagnosed by CT and rarely unless you have severe disease can it be diagnosed by colonoscopy.  Those that have had it diagnosed by colonoscopy have such because their MDs were above to get into the small bowel from the bottom and take biopsys.  Celiac damage is not seen in the large intestine.  Also many people do not have diarrhea, many have constipation or a 50/50 mix between the two.  Celiac has 300 connected symptoms and sometimes no symptoms at all.  It's called the " great pretender" because of this.
    • Okay, thanks! I am 24 but my husband and I don't plan on having kids. However, the more I thought about it, the more I think I should get one for my brother's sake. Especially after my doctor's office called this evening to say my bloodwork tested positive for Celiac. Guess I will be on this forum longer than I thought!
    • You just got diagnosed Celiac and are wondering how serious this really is. What if there is just a little gluten in your food? What if you use the same toaster for your gluten-free bread as your wife's/husband's regular bread? What if those french fries are gluten-free but they fry them in the same fryer as those nice gluten coated onion rings? View the full article
    • Hi, I've never been on a forum before but thought I might find some answers here.  I have never been tested for celiac but a nurse practitioner I saw a few years ago told me she thought I would benefit from a gluten free diet.  At first, I thought I could never do this but after some encouragement I did try.  I did feel much better after going gluten free.  She never tested me for celiac. I turned 50 years old last year and I had a colonoscopy for the first time and had three polyps removed.  The surgeon said that my colon looked like I was a chronic laxative user.  I haven't used a laxative for a very long time.  I was at the time drinking a natural tea to help me to have bowel movements.  Before starting the tea I had always had difficulty with bowel movements and never had them once a day but with the tea I was able to go once a day. At the end of last month I developed severe pain after I would eat (I had my gallbladder removed at the age of 19).  One night the pain got so bad my husband had to drive me to the ER.  My liver functions were high as well as a few other things.  They did a CT scan of my abdomen and pelvis that showed wall thickening of my transverse colon and minimal irregularity involving the transverse colon.  My descending and sigmoid colon were collapsed.  There were a few tiny mesenteric lymph nodes present on the right.  They diagnosed me officially with colitis but said that most likely I had a gallstone (even though I don't have a gallbladder) that had come from the liver and had gotten stuck in the common bile duct (it did not show up on the CT scan).  I usually have a high ferritin level too.  I've been home from the hospital stay for about a month now and still have tenderness in the epigastric area. Some of this may not have anything to do with celiac but was wondering if anyone has been diagnosed with celiac by CT scan or colonoscopy or if anyone has had the same problems that I have had and found out what has caused it.  I cannot see the gastroenterologist who saw me in the hospital for a couple of months.  Can you have celiac and not have diarrhea as I am just the opposite? Any help would be appreciated!  Thanks!  
    • I had an acne flair up after going gluten free but it ended up improving and some long-term back acne I had been dealing with actually went away.  I think going gluten free was a shock to my system and at first I actually felt worse but after about a month things got better. 
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Aly46