Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Does Anyone Here Know Anything About Salmonella?

• Please log in to reply

6 replies to this topic

#1 leo.the.bunny

leo.the.bunny

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:27 AM

Hi

I went gluten intolerant about 5 months ago and started developing problems again with more food which I have been treating as a leaky gut. I went to the docs about two weeks ago to see if there's anything else going on and i got a stool test done and apparently I have salmonella. It's weird because the only time I can remember having really bad "D" or anything was a bit over a month ago when I tried a weight gainer protein shake and i didn't really have any other symptoms except abdo pain... My mum however was also having bad D at the same time but i didnt think it was related to mine because mine came very soon after i had the weight gainer

Anyway since then I've been having problems with food intolerances (undigested food, C or D after eating something I'm intolerant to, never ending bloating - i haven't not been bloated for about 4 months - pain and fatigue) My symptoms go on and off i guess depending on what i eat but just recently I was having trouble having a bowel movement for a few days without my usual intolerance symptoms and now i have D. Could any of this be related to the salmonella? Can it last that long or cause some of these symptoms? Can it create too much bacteria in the gut which can lead to this kind of thing? When I have researched about it apparently it usually only lasts up to a week but it might take longer for the gut to heal completely

Has anyone had any experience or know about this? I'd appreciate any info!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,769 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:28 AM

Did your doctor give you an antibiotic for the salmonella? Some of us need one to resolve it. If you had an antibiotic you may need to go with some yogurt or other fermented food or probiotics to repopulate your good bacteria. If you didn't have an antibiotic you may need to go back to the doctor to retest and make sure that the salmonella has resolved on it's own.
I hope your feeling better soon but until then go with really simple food and some kind of probiotic. Hopefully that will help.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#3 designerstubble

designerstubble

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:22 AM

I had Salmonella 10 years ago, I was extremely ill. I had a very very high dose of antibiotics as I remember the docs explaining that it could otherwise make you very ill.
I guess I was bad for about 3 weeks and it took about another month for my guts to settle...
I suppose it could cause ongoing problems if not completely wiped out? It's not something I would leave though without being treated for.
All the best

Diagnosed Celiac Oct 2012 (Blood and Biopsy)
Gluten free / Dairy free / Caffeine / Almost sugar free / Tobacco free 2012. Corn free 2013
Vegetarian since 1986 / Asthmatic since 1990 / Migraines since 1998

Symptoms: Classical GI symptoms. Fibromyalgia. Odd pains. Bone aches. Severe headaches. Severe depression. Anxiety. Diagnosed with severe anaemia. Severe Vit D deficiency. Boderline Folate & B12 Defiency.

Since being gluten free... initially felt better for a month, still suffer with loose bowels, am currently struggling with many more allergies and intolerances to foods, such as dairy, egg, celery, oranges, tomatoes, quinoa, seeds,... Pressure hives (from Feb 2013) / Having bad leg aches during periods (June 2013)

(Marked in bold, these problems have been resolved)

#4 leo.the.bunny

leo.the.bunny

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

Thanks guys, I'm hoping I will heal if I get an antibiotic but I'm now scared I may have SIBO or something... I haven't been treated yet because my doctor has been on holiday since Christmas eve and is only going to be back on monday so I guess I'll have to wait and see what happens

#5 guest134

guest134

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:59 PM

I had Salmonella this summer, the lingering issues is what led me to this forum. Although I am pretty much 100 percent now it took me like 5 months to feel good. The thing with salmonella, and any other bacterial infection is that it is not always as strong in one person as the other. Remember, it kills some people, while others don't even know they had it. It took my gut quite a while to digest dairy again and has only now after 6 months really started to digest properly again. If you are unlucky enough the residual effects of Salmonella can last up to a year.

#6 leo.the.bunny

leo.the.bunny

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:05 AM

I had Salmonella this summer, the lingering issues is what led me to this forum. Although I am pretty much 100 percent now it took me like 5 months to feel good. The thing with salmonella, and any other bacterial infection is that it is not always as strong in one person as the other. Remember, it kills some people, while others don't even know they had it. It took my gut quite a while to digest dairy again and has only now after 6 months really started to digest properly again. If you are unlucky enough the residual effects of Salmonella can last up to a year.

Oh wow thats good that you're feeling better now. What kind of symptoms did you have when you were recovering? I don't feel like mine resemble salmonella at all

#7 guest134

guest134

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:03 PM

Random stomach cramps, fatigue, chills, indigestion, and on and off diarrhea.

Look at it this way, like Celiac recovery it takes a while for the intestines to heal once the threat is removed. Some people with Celiac need a good year to have their intestines fully recover, others only a month. Salmonella is like gluten to a Celiac, once it is eliminated there is still the damage it did, and that takes time to heal. It will heal at a different pace for different people and depending on what strain of salmonella it was.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: