2 replies to this topic

#1 Sooz

Sooz

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:38 AM

I initially posted here, and thanks for the help. It's now just over a week later and the random ingestion of Vegemite (that has gluten) has been replaced with a gluten-free alternative.

I am happy to report, not a single symptom since... well not like it was. It seems to me that my GI system is healing and every day I'm feeling so much better.

Unfortunately, I didn't really want to be Celiac or gluten intolerant, but it is what it is, and so far I'm coping.

It's a bit sad that it came on so strong, so suddenly, after quite a few years of niggly little problems. Maybe I've caught it early, or maybe it raised its ugly head in protest because I was eating more grain-carb than usual.

In some respects, unless I can get some genetic testing, I will probably never know if I am Celiac or just have an intolerance. I'm definitely not prepared to go through what I have since the beginning of November by eating gluten again for an extended period, just so a doctor can do a test or an endoscopy. It was a really awful time.

With all my other autoimmune stuff, I'd be prepared to bet it's Celiac rather than intolerance. Let's hope I can get some genetic testing.

Has anyone here done the same - figured out that not eating gluten makes it all better, but you can't get a diagnosis because you're not prepared to eat it again? If so, what do you say you have?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:55 AM

"Unfortunately, I didn't really want to be Celiac or gluten intolerant, but it is what it is, and so far I'm coping. ", says Sooz.

Yeah, most of us aren't volunteers.

#3 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

If I want to get someone's attention (waiter, e.g.) I tell them I'm celiac; after all, there's no indication that I am not. Otherwise I just say I am gluten intolerant, or decline the food and don't mention it.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009