Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Much Happier... Sort Of!

3 posts in this topic

I initially posted here, and thanks for the help. It's now just over a week later and the random ingestion of Vegemite (that has gluten) has been replaced with a gluten-free alternative.

I am happy to report, not a single symptom since... well not like it was. It seems to me that my GI system is healing and every day I'm feeling so much better.

Unfortunately, I didn't really want to be Celiac or gluten intolerant, but it is what it is, and so far I'm coping.

It's a bit sad that it came on so strong, so suddenly, after quite a few years of niggly little problems. Maybe I've caught it early, or maybe it raised its ugly head in protest because I was eating more grain-carb than usual.

In some respects, unless I can get some genetic testing, I will probably never know if I am Celiac or just have an intolerance. I'm definitely not prepared to go through what I have since the beginning of November by eating gluten again for an extended period, just so a doctor can do a test or an endoscopy. It was a really awful time.

With all my other autoimmune stuff, I'd be prepared to bet it's Celiac rather than intolerance. Let's hope I can get some genetic testing.

Has anyone here done the same - figured out that not eating gluten makes it all better, but you can't get a diagnosis because you're not prepared to eat it again? If so, what do you say you have?

Ads by Google:

"Unfortunately, I didn't really want to be Celiac or gluten intolerant, but it is what it is, and so far I'm coping. ", says Sooz.

Yeah, most of us aren't volunteers.

If I want to get someone's attention (waiter, e.g.) I tell them I'm celiac; after all, there's no indication that I am not. Otherwise I just say I am gluten intolerant, or decline the food and don't mention it.