15 replies to this topic

#1 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:00 PM

The title pretty much says it all! I'm looking for a GOOD store bought cookie. A sandwich cookie would be nice. I made a batch of Betty Crocker gluten free chocolate chip cookies and they were pretty good but I am not a huge fan of chocolate.
Nut free too please. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 FatBear

FatBear

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

The title pretty much says it all! I'm looking for a GOOD store bought cookie. A sandwich cookie would be nice. I made a batch of Betty Crocker gluten free chocolate chip cookies and they were pretty good but I am not a huge fan of chocolate.
Nut free too please. :)

Most store bought cookies are pretty crumbly/cakey. If I want cake I can buy or make it. Mi-Del makes some good gluten free Ginger Snaps and Cinnamon Snaps that are almost indistinguishable from the gluteniszed ones. Their Arrowroot cookies are very tasty, if a bit mellow. Their chocolate chip cookies are pretty boring, but then you don't like chocolate. (I would otherwise have suggested making Nestles Toll House cookies with Bob's Red Mill GP gluten free mix - very good and crispier than most gluteny ones.)
I have tried a bunch of gluten-free sandwich cookies and universally hate them. They are always absolutely sickly sweet. Sweeter than pure sugar. I don't know how they do that, but I don't want to, either. As a former Oreo addict I would sure like to learn about something as good. Oreos are sweet, but balanced. There's no reason someone could not make a gluten-free cookie which would be indistinguishable from a real Oreo.
And be careful about Newman's. I bought a package of Paul Newman's (or is it Newman's Own? I can't remember) "Wheat Free" "Dairy Free" sandwich cookies without reading the ingredients and it set me on the path to severe intestinal inflammation and very serious SIBO. Turns out they are made with barley flour - very definitely NOT gluten free. I chastised them for misleading labeling - after all, the only people who really care if something is wheat free are Celiacs or gluten intolerant people, right? They just quoted some lawyer words at me and implied that I should go away. And here I thought they were so responsible. I no longer eat any Paul Newman's products.

#3 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

Pamela's Shortbread Cookies are very good.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#4 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

We like these "Oreos". They are a bit more choclatey than regular Oreos. http://resources.kin...62013300364.jpg

I love these, too:
http://www.buy.com/p...ingId=246018539

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#5 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,604 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:05 PM

Pamela's website is WONDERFUL! They have an allergy chart that lists all of their products and possible allergens on one page.

http://pamelasproduc...-information-2/

I have written down a list of all the ones I can have and keep it in my purse so next time I'm in "the big city" I can buy some of the ones my local store doesn't carry. (Of course I will read the label first in case any changes have been made.)

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#6 Silencio

Silencio

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:24 PM

Kinnikinnick makes really good cookies. Also if you're in Canada, Superstore makes PC brand cookies.

http://consumer.kinn...ctcategoryid/12
CANADIAN!

#7 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,370 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

Gluten-Free, If you are going to avoid iodine for the dh rash then most if not all of the cookies listed above are going to be on the no-no list. Dairy is iodine, as is carageenan, eggs b/c of the yolk & I could go on. But since hubs & I are doing it I will tell you what we found. Enjoy Life cookies. they are GREAT! No sandwich cookies but really GOOD cookies. They are free of:
gluten, wheat, dairy, peanuts, tree nuts, egg, soy, fish, shellfish, casein, potato, sesame & sulfites. We love all of their crunchy ones & they make a soft one that is double chocolate brownie or something like that & it is much like a brownie. Hubs puts warm cherry pie filling on top of it & it's YUM! Certified gluten-free.

Also, we found Lucy's chocolate chip cookies. No peanuts, tree nuts, milk, eggs, gluten. Certified gluten-free. Now, they DO have gluten-free oats in them. Neither of us has reacted. You can taste the oats a bit which is really fine to us as we miss oatmeal cookies.

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#8 lisachrystine

lisachrystine

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:49 PM

Enjoy Life cookies. they are GREAT! No sandwich cookies but really GOOD cookies. They are free of:
gluten, wheat, dairy, peanuts, tree nuts, egg, soy, fish, shellfish, casein, potato, sesame & sulfites. We love all of their crunchy ones & they make a soft one that is double chocolate brownie or something like that & it is much like a brownie. Hubs puts warm cherry pie filling on top of it & it's YUM! Certified gluten-free.

We just happened to have some of the Enjoy Life soft baked snickerdoodle cookies tonight. My mother in law brought them for the kids over the holidays; we'd never had them before. Yum! I thought they were really good.
Mom to 2 little Celiacs who have been gluten free since October 2011.

#9 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,370 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:44 PM

We just happened to have some of the Enjoy Life soft baked snickerdoodle cookies tonight. My mother in law brought them for the kids over the holidays; we'd never had them before. Yum! I thought they were really good.

Yeah they are aren't they? We were really surprised that none of their cookies taste "weird" especially since they don't have any of that stuff in them! They taste like regular old gluten cookies!
Here's a link to the company website:
http://www.enjoylife...om/#page=page-1

And we LOVE, LOVE, LOVE their chocolate bars & chocolate chips!

And here's a link for the Lucy's cookie site --- it's Dr. Lucy's on the site but the cookies we have leave off the "Dr."
http://www.drlucys.com/

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#10 Health4U

Health4U

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:11 AM

What I like is Glutino sandwitch cookies. My son likes Udis and Pamilas which you can get at Walmart usually. Sometimes Krogers have them as well.

#11 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

Thanks everyone! I'm headed to a bigger town this weekend for a trip to Whole Foods. Hopefully they will have some of these cookies there.

#12 CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:33 PM

I know you want store bought, however, these are worth making!!!

These are better than any store bought cookie I have had! We all like different things, but I must say...I am in LOVE with Hodgson Mills Gluten Free Cookie mix., You can make a few different cookies from it. My daughter made these for me to try them out for Santa.. We used Enjoy Life chips and I was a very happy lady! I have used a few cookie mixes in 2 1/2 years, I'm super sensitive and these were wonderful! My gluten eating people liked them :) We have tried different mixes, this is by far the best i have had!

If you want store bought, Udis is good and I agree with the Ginger Snaps.

Enjoy :)
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.
George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10
Endo biopsy positive 5/10
Gluten free 5/10

#13 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:55 AM

It's been a good long time since I had them, but I remember LOVING the Whole Foods gluten free kitchen
or whatever it's called, it's the store brand of gluten free stuff in the freezer. They make the BEST cookies.
I used to buy the chocolate chip ones, I loved them. Granted, it's probably been four years, because I've
had problems with sugar a long time. I also very much liked the Glutino sandwich cookies, and the wafer
cookies- like KitKats!
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#14 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:39 AM

Thanks everyone! I can't wait to buy some cookies tomorrow. :)

Thanks for the recipes too. I have a really hard time baking anything because I live in a very high altitude at 8500 feet nothing comes out right and gets stale very quickly. I know that there are things that you can add for high altitude baking like corn starch but I just can not figure out how it all works.

#15 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:11 PM

If you get to a Whole Foods, I second Bunnie's suggestion of Gluten Free Bakeshop cookies. The Ginger Molassas ones are amazing.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: