This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Blurred Vision And Gluten Ingestion

alesusy

alesusy Explorer

Hello everybody - this is my first post.

Technically I'm still waiting for a confirmation of my diagnosis: the results of my biopsy should have been in last week but Xmas time has slowed the lab at the hospital here in ROme.

I'm 47. I spent an awful November with several different symptoms and when I went gluten free in December things started looking up. I'm sure you are familiar with the feeling of BEING better and starting to wonder whether you hadn't been dreaming all those weird symptoms (the best description is a permanent hangover, plus constant headache coming from muscle tension, especially in the jaw; and mood changes, DEEP anxiety, etc).

Things were not made better by my gastro doctor telling me that all those symptoms were "aspecific" and thus could be caused by anything, including the ever ready "stress". i found better support in forum from people telling me "you are not dreaming, it happened to me too".

I'm writing today because my vision really went down these last couple of days, and because I am pretty sure that eating out for New Year's Eve I got glutened. In fact I KNOW I ingested some gluten, specifically some bread crumbs in a potato soufflé and in a vegetarian concoption I tried. The amount was small (I took off the breadcrumbs gratin) and I thought it would not matter, but apparently it made an effect.

SO I wanted to compare notes:

1) I have read of several people here (bless you for existing!) who experience blurred vision after getting glutened. In my case, since I am myopic and ashtigmatic, I can best describe it as a LOSS of vision, as if my condition had suddenly worsened. It happened a lot in November during the worse and then it cleared up... Does anybody else feel as if they became MORE myopic after being glutened?

2) anybody gets gluten effects about 12 hours after ingestion?

3) I've been only 1 month gluten free, and not completely, as it seems. I'm reading of people saying their vision started really clearing up 2 or 3 months after going gluten free; I'd love to hear more about that

4) Other symptoms cropping up in the last two days: heart palpitations...

I do not want to become a slave to my condition and I don't like people who are constantly feeling their pulse or talking about their own health. In fact I hope to get back to something like normal as soon as possible... but I really would appreciate to hear from you guys

thanks

alesusy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jhol Enthusiast

Hello everybody - this is my first post.

Technically I'm still waiting for a confirmation of my diagnosis: the results of my biopsy should have been in last week but Xmas time has slowed the lab at the hospital here in ROme.

I'm 47. I spent an awful November with several different symptoms and when I went gluten free in December things started looking up. I'm sure you are familiar with the feeling of BEING better and starting to wonder whether you hadn't been dreaming all those weird symptoms (the best description is a permanent hangover, plus constant headache coming from muscle tension, especially in the jaw; and mood changes, DEEP anxiety, etc).

Things were not made better by my gastro doctor telling me that all those symptoms were "aspecific" and thus could be caused by anything, including the ever ready "stress". i found better support in forum from people telling me "you are not dreaming, it happened to me too".

I'm writing today because my vision really went down these last couple of days, and because I am pretty sure that eating out for New Year's Eve I got glutened. In fact I KNOW I ingested some gluten, specifically some bread crumbs in a potato soufflé and in a vegetarian concoption I tried. The amount was small (I took off the breadcrumbs gratin) and I thought it would not matter, but apparently it made an effect.

SO I wanted to compare notes:

1) I have read of several people here (bless you for existing!) who experience blurred vision after getting glutened. In my case, since I am myopic and ashtigmatic, I can best describe it as a LOSS of vision, as if my condition had suddenly worsened. It happened a lot in November during the worse and then it cleared up... Does anybody else feel as if they became MORE myopic after being glutened?

2) anybody gets gluten effects about 12 hours after ingestion?

3) I've been only 1 month gluten free, and not completely, as it seems. I'm reading of people saying their vision started really clearing up 2 or 3 months after going gluten free; I'd love to hear more about that

4) Other symptoms cropping up in the last two days: heart palpitations...

I do not want to become a slave to my condition and I don't like people who are constantly feeling their pulse or talking about their own health. In fact I hope to get back to something like normal as soon as possible... but I really would appreciate to hear from you guys

thanks

alesusy

hi im new here,

as yet undiagnosed and to be honest i think its gonna come back negative for celiac. but heyho, im commenting coz i too have noticed my eyesight going weird . i thought i needed to accept that at my age lol, i had to succumb to the fact that i needed glasses. even though my eyesight has always been absolutely perfect.i feel like someones either dropped a veil of thinnest gauze over my eyes or rubbed my eyeballs with vaseline - hope this makes sense ha! its the oddest feeling coz i can still see but i feel im not seeing properly.

i had,nt put it down to being glutened. im still eating it coz i dont get the gastro problems and im still waiting for results. its reassuring to know other people are having the same symptoms as me as a was feeling like a bit of a nutter!! lol.

good luck in searching for answers..

dilettantesteph Collaborator

Yes, I get blurred vision. In fact, before diagnosis I had 20:40 vision. After a year gluten free I went to the eye doctor. I had 20:20 vision and saw better without the glasses! I don't think that my vision changed until I was more completely gluten free and healed for quite a few months. When glutened the blurring comes back. I do notice symptoms 12 hours after exposure.

Pegleg84 Collaborator

My vision is pretty bad at the best of times, and has certainly not improved on its own being gluten free, but that's an issue separate from Celiac.

When I get glutened, or eat dairy or soy, my vision definitely goes blurry. It's one of the first symptoms I get. Unless I concentrate on focussing, it all goes fuzzy. Thankfully that usually only lasts an hour or so, and is worse with dairy and soy than with gluten.

My glutening symptoms tend to start about 4 hours later at the earliest, but really hit me the next day. It varies from person to person, and once you're diligently gluten free, when you do get glutened, you'll sure know it.

Now you've learned the hard way that cross contamination is your worst enemy. Even a tiny tiny tiny crumb of gluten can cause a reaction, so avoid it at all costs.

Happy Healing!

alesusy Explorer

thanks, you guys. I'm happy to report that today my vision is clearer: I'm still myopic, but it's much less blurry and the brain fog I felt yesterday also has cleared. It's the weirdest sensation... not least because when I feel better I wonder whether I have been imagining things.

Dilettantesteph, I had read your story already and it fills me with hope... just gaining back the vision I've lost these last 4/5 years would be GREAT. Mind you, I have a very long history with my eyes: I was very myopic as a kid, I got Lasik at 34 and regained a decent sight, only wearing glasses for cinema and driving in unknown places. But these last years it's been going down and my ophtalmologist insists it's exactly as before; she says the problem is that my brain, after 40, has more difficulties in focussing. That may be; but I wonder whether celiac did not have something to do with it. TIme will tell...

Another symptom I had yesterday night, 24 hours after the probable gluten ingestion, was... a sudden weakness in my legs. I had never experienced anything like that before: as if I had LEAD in my calves and the back of my feet making hard to raise them. I decided not to worry and went to bed; was Ok this morning. Really weird, like being attacked from the outer space :-D

Will keep you posted when I finally get my diagnosis. Maybe I'm NOT celiac and I've been making things up. I really don't think so, and actually I would be scared: because while being celiac is not fun, feeling sick and not knowing why or what to do is much worse.

cheers

a.

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

Even if you don't get a positive diagnosis, if you are finding what you read about celiac very familiar, you might want to try gluten-free anyway. Lots of folks here don't have a diagnosis for one reason or another, but find gluten-free makes all the difference.

Make sure you tell us your results either way, and you will still find loads of support here.

• 4 years later...
clutchlee Rookie

I new here and undiagnosed, but I have suspicious symptoms of intolerance/allergies, and DO have burning mouth and blurry vision as described.  Interestingly, mind start at digestion of any foods.  Been trying gluten free for about 5 days now, and hasn't improved.  Although I certainly could have been glutenized and not know it in this time period.  

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master
4 minutes ago, clutchlee said:

I new here and undiagnosed, but I have suspicious symptoms of intolerance/allergies, and DO have burning mouth and blurry vision as described.  Interestingly, mind start at digestion of any foods.  Been trying gluten free for about 5 days now, and hasn't improved.  Although I certainly could have been glutenized and not know it in this time period.  

If you suspect celiac disease, you should get tested.  celiac disease is an autoimmune disorder that is triggered by gluten (unlike lupus, MS or Diabetes Type 1 where the trigger is unknown).  Going gluten free is the key to healing if you have celiac disease, but it can take months to years to resolve.  Once gluten is ingested it sets off an autoimmune reaction (flare-up) that can last for weeks, months or years.  It is all very individual.  

It will not resolve in just a few days.  Now, it could if you have Non-celiac Gluten Intolerance, but there is no test for it.  It is diagnosis given after ruling out celiac disease.  

Archived