7 replies to this topic

#1 chronicbabejenni

chronicbabejenni

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

i was looking for information on reese's peanut butter cups and saw an older post that said they are not gluten-free: http://www.celiac.co...ot-gluten-free/

BUT hershey's website says they are:
http://www.thehershe...px#/Gluten-Free

thoughts?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

A two year old post is not relevant information today about what is or is not gluten free. A two month old post isn't either. A simple rule we must all live by, no matter what, is every label, every time. I wasn't dealing with the issue at the time, but it is possible that there was a lapse in the gluten free status. I find it also highly likely (having worked all too long in an inbound call center environment in a variety of positions) that the person making the phone call spoke with either A: a complete moron or B: someone who just didn't care to actually check and just spouted off the first answer that popped in their head.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#3 killernj13

killernj13

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:01 AM

I have never seen the normal PB cups list wheat in their ingredients. The whole issue with these is in the past is some of the seasonal shaped (Christmas trees / Easter Eggs etc) have had wheat in them. However, recently I have not even come across those either. I always read the labels on the season ones due to the past history.

This is there CYA on the website:

REESE'S Peanut Butter Cups – ALL Except Seasonal Shaped Items -

As the original responder stated always read labels as things do change on all foods.

#4 jebby

jebby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:22 AM

In 2011 Reese's PB cups did not contain gluten but were made on shared lines with gluten containing products, therefore, Hershey's would not put them on their gluten free list. Are they now on dedicated lines? I have not contacted them to check as I stopped eating all of their products back in 2011.

#5 DH Guy

DH Guy

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

I heard that there is a coating separating the chocolate and peanut butter that contains gluten. I try to avoid them, but if someone has information that they are gluten-free I'd love to eat them again. They were my favorite before I was diagnosed.

#6 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:24 PM

I heard that there is a coating separating the chocolate and peanut butter that contains gluten. I try to avoid them, but if someone has information that they are gluten-free I'd love to eat them again. They were my favorite before I was diagnosed.

It says right on their website that they are gluten free. The link is in the original post. You can of course always feel free to call Hershey about it to verify. Many do eat them with no issue. I indulged a few times with no problems. Not the sort of thing I would eat any more, but not for gluten reasons. I certainly wouldn't turn one down if I were hungry and it was the only thing to eat. Just stay away from holiday shapes.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#7 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

http://www.thehershe...px#/Gluten-Free
REESE'S Peanut Butter Cups – ALL Except Seasonal Shaped Items
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#8 jebby

jebby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:44 PM

I did contact Hershey's out of curiosity and they are now made on dedicated lines, so there is no longer a risk of cross-contamination during processing, like there used to be. This is an example of how much can change for a product in just a few years. It's also a reminder that we need to be diligent about calling companies and investigating if we are unsure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: