This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Blood Test Or Gluten Free Diet To Test?

aberglund

aberglund Rookie

My 5 year old daughter has had a distended stomach since age 3, and now has gas, complains slightly of tummy aches,(always (pulls her pants below her tummy) and has gained 10 pounds in the last 6 months. I took her to a naturopath where vega testing showed she has a moderate sensitivity to gluten and to dairy.

I also took her to my family doctor who referred me to a paediatrician (more concerned with the weight gain) The Paed. wants her to have a thyroid test prior to coming to the apt. in a few weeks. I also asked for a celiac test to be done.

I'm new to the whole world of gluten intolerance and celiac and I'm wondering what to do.....

The bloodwork may be traumatic for my daughter and because it's a "moderate" sensitivity the test would most likely be negative. The naturopath distinguishes between disease and distress, suggesting that a positive reaction to a strict gluten free diet for 3 months would be proof of a sensitivity. What do you recommend?

I'm also wondering if anyone has experienced weight gain as a symptom of celiac. Most people comment on weight loss.

thanks

Ana

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

I think that, while it may be unpleasant, a single blood draw shouldn't be a huge problem for a 5 year old. Getting that test *can* be helpful, and you can try the elimination diet after the blood test regardless of the results. It will be easier for your doctors (her doctors) to take you more seriously. The tests do have false negatives, but they're not exactly "unreliable" IF she's eating plenty of gluten.

jams Explorer

I had both of my kids tested. My daughter was 3 at the time and my son 7. It is a quick blood draw. She may cry a bit but it will be quick. They had to dig in my daughters arm with a butterfly needle because she was so small at the time. She cried for about 10 minutes but it was worth having the results. She will probably need blood drawn for the thyroid test anyways. Might as well just kill two birds with one stone.

Just be strong for her. Don't let her know that it is killing you to see her upset about it. Good luck!

Guest nini

My daughter was 3 when they did the blood draw AND the lab was extremely insensitive to the fact that she was scared out of her mind. They wouldn't let me hold her, they strapped her into a chair and drew blood from her elbow. THEN they had the audacity to NOT run the correct tests. I'm still trying to figure out if it was because they just don't run that specific panel, the Dr. didn't request the specific panel (which his office said they did), or insurance refused to pay for the full panel. In any case her results were inconclusive but she had tremendous improvement on the gluten-free diet. Personally I was so aggravated with the whole experience and wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Merika Contributor

I used to be a total sissy about blood draws :) Well, I still don't like to watch, lol. Really, it's not that bad. Vaccines hurt just as much and can make you sick for days later, but everyone does those, right? (not starting a vax discussion here, just rhetorical).

The momentary pain and inconvenience is nothing compared with the possibility of not knowing, or jsut going gluten-free and then trying to explain to her why she can't have a gluten food somewhere, whereas last week she could....let her be part of the process and discovery...

hth,

Merika

ravenwoodglass Mentor

'The bloodwork may be traumatic for my daughter'

Be sure to explain to her that the doctors and nurses are trying to find out why her tummy hurts so much. To help them do this they need to take a little bit of her blood to check. Tell her it will hurt a teeny bit but not for long. I used to let my littel ones watch my many blood draws when I had the chance. Try not to let her know if you yourself don't like needles. Many times if we explain to children what and why the doctors are doing something it helps allay their fears. Some even become quite interested in the process. If you assume it will be tramatic for her it will. Make it something you just have to do and maybe have a treat on the way home.

Archived