Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Does Anyone Buy This Salmon From Costco?

• Please log in to reply

3 replies to this topic

#1 123glldd

123glldd

Advanced Community Member

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

Still trying to find a source for fish that i trust...this seems relatively innocent...does anyone buy this brand? I'm worried because in canada when I was home on a visit I was told that the bacon for instance...could be any number of brands from the grocery store only relabled as kirkland...which i found disturbing so i refused to eat the bacon not knowing what company i was eating. It's not the same with the fish and bacon down here is it? Well anyhow here's the salmon I wanted to buy..anyone eat this with luck?

http://www.costco.co...t.11294489.html

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

I buy a lot of fish from Costco. I have never seen that brand BUT, if the label says that it only contains salmon and nothing else and that it is wild caught, I would eat it. They don't have gluten in these frozen fish factories. Just fish.

#3 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,049 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:27 PM

I buy a lot of fish from Costco. I have never seen that brand BUT, if the label says that it only contains salmon and nothing else and that it is wild caught, I would eat it. They don't have gluten in these frozen fish factories. Just fish.

I agree.

But any time you buy a private label (house brand) product, you do not know who actually makes it. It may be any name brand manufacturer, or in some categories, there are manufacturers who only do contract production of private label products--they sell nothing of their own directly. Different products under the same name may be made by different manufacturers, and the manufacturer of any given product may change from time to time. BTW, even if you buy a national brand, the actual production may be contracted out.

But regardless of who makes it, the label laws and regulations apply. Wheat can not be hidden. Rye and oats don't hide. Nobody in their right mind would add barley malt to fish.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 kristenloeh

kristenloeh

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:38 PM

The only salmon I've had from Costco is the big package of the smoked salmon. It's in a black, big package. SO yummy.

Diagnosed Celiac 04.2012
Gluten-Free 04.2012

Diagnosed Pituitary Prolactinoma 12.2012

Low Cortisol/Possible Addison's Disease 02.2013

Maybe one day I will feel "normal" again. <3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: