This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Biopsy ...so Frustrated At Myself

VeggieGal

VeggieGal Contributor

Feeling very disappointed at myself today. This morning I was due for my endoscopy biopsy. I explained that they'd tried to do this in 2010 but they got the scope half way down and I choked and stopped the procedure. I explained that this time I'd be worse as I was extra nervous after having a total thyroidectomy in March last year which ended up with a vocal chord being cut and months of therapy to obtain my voice again.

So today the consultant agreed to give me sedation and numb my throat due to my anxiety..... I feel such a wimp, the staff were brilliant but as soon as the tube started going down my throat, I gagged and pulled it out of my mouth. Not once did I feel sedated/dizzy/weak ... the needle puncture didnt seem to be near the vein when I looked later. I've since spoke to a couple of friends who had a similar procedure but they said they were disorientated and zonked out from sedation!

I've had such a miserable christmas making myself eat gluten and all for..... nothing! Aaarrrrgggghhh! :(

The endo report does says: Anaemia, Positive TTG weakly positive EMA intension to liopsy for lactose intolerance. Comments: Unable to tolerate procedure therefore abandoned. Patient will be referred to dietician and commenced on gluten free diet.

Previously I was told I would be sent for a bone density test.

Just so annoyed at myself when I know others have gone thru the biopsy smoothly and now I'll never know to what extent the damage is (which might help to keep me on track of staying gluten free and something to compare with in future) and now unsure if my family will take me seriously or get tested themselves.

Sorry, I just needed to rant.....anyway, new day tomorrow, new start ...as gluten free :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GottaSki Mentor

No, no, no being so hard on yourself - you tried and if your family doubts your diagnosis with positive antibodies - send them to us - we will educate them.

The great news is now you can remove all gluten for good - good ridence - sionara - adios! Spell check doesn't work on my cell - so pardon any mistakes.

Congrats on getting past the dredded day :)

VeggieGal Contributor

Thanks GottaSki...think you just made my first real smile of the day :)

GottaSki Mentor

Good - repeat as often as possible - it really does help.

Hang in there and :)

VeggieGal Contributor

Adios yucky gluten :) :) :) feelin better already :)

kareng Grand Master

That sounds nasty! I was asleep for mine. Don't think I could have done it awake!

Welcome to the club! za4.gif

Your secret decoder rings and shoe phone will arrive shortly (but don't hold your breath).

157fs837411.gif

nvsmom Community Regular

I was diagnosed on blood tests alone too. A positive is a positive whether it's a blood test or endoscopy... and you had two positive blood tests! Adios gluten is right! :)

And just tell your family that you had the blood tests, and "went in" for the endoscopy, and you tested positive... they don't need to know your testing details when you are trying to get them to take it seriously. ;)

Best wishes.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VeggieGal Contributor

Cheers Karen and nvsmom....i'm excited to starting a healthier lifesyle. Best get some new pots, pans, toaster and a shopping list sorted :)

Takala Enthusiast

Certainly not your fault that they didn't sedate you thoroughly ! A lot of these docs ought to do a week's tour with an equine veterinarian making barn calls running naso-gastric tubes for colics to check for reflux, and then they'd learn what sedation really means - :P they can't knock them out because the horses have to remain standing and semi-conscious, but they don't dally around with something that large who's very uncomfortable and might not appreciate a rubber hose going up their nose, thinking "oh well, :rolleyes: maybe that was it."

kerid Newbie

oh honey, that sounds horrible! if you had ttg, though, you already KNOW you have tissue damage... enough to create an autoimmune response within yourself, whereby your antibodies are attacking your intestines (and God knows what other body organs!) and i agree that it is not your fault they didn't sedate you correctly. and i agree with nvsmom... nobody needs to know the details!

kareng~ i want a secret decoder ring too!!! hehehe!!!

IrishHeart Veteran

V Gal,

Well, this is the fault of the hospital staff, honey. You should have been heavily sedated , not just numbed. Poor babe. I HATE any tubes down my throat too and do not get me started on anything going in anywhere else. I clam up like ...well, a clam....slam . shut.

bring on the heavy drugs or you ain't getting in.

I can relate to a story of a botched procedure (not the endo, but the OTHER one.....) my poor hubs did not go OUT after being sedated

and well, let's just say he sat bolt upright and had the doc by the front of his white coat.........they blasted him with more. The doc is lucky

as the hubs is a pretty big dude.

anyhooo, here's your afternoon cheer:

Cry no tears!

heave no sighs!

you're one of us...

gluten, "GOODBYE!

Yaaaaaay, Gluten free!!!!!!!!!

buggers, I ripped my pants doing the jump and split...

but here's what I looked like!

smileys-cheerleading-755332.gif

apparently, there is a delay in the shipment of the secret decoder rings as Karen promised me one 2 years ago and I'm still checking the mailbox every darn day.

mushroom Proficient

They never manage to knock me out with their so-called sedatives - gotta bring in the heavy troops like a general to take this woman down. And that went for colonoscopy, bronchoscopy, endoscopy, but sssshh. don't normally tell newbies this possibility. But if you tell them, they know it, and they still can't sedate you, that's incompetence or willfulness :ph34r:

I had to have a breathing tube and nasogastric feeding tube last summer and, while I have no memory of any of this, hubs tells me I was kicking and screaming and they had to tie my hands and feet down because I was trying to pull everythng out :lol:

VeggieGal Contributor

Awww thanks all for your comments and understanding and sooo glad I'm one of us!! ..love the poem IH and Karen, excitedly awaiting my secret decoder :)

:):):)

Archived