12 replies to this topic

#1 VeggieGal

VeggieGal

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

Feeling very disappointed at myself today. This morning I was due for my endoscopy biopsy. I explained that they'd tried to do this in 2010 but they got the scope half way down and I choked and stopped the procedure. I explained that this time I'd be worse as I was extra nervous after having a total thyroidectomy in March last year which ended up with a vocal chord being cut and months of therapy to obtain my voice again.

So today the consultant agreed to give me sedation and numb my throat due to my anxiety..... I feel such a wimp, the staff were brilliant but as soon as the tube started going down my throat, I gagged and pulled it out of my mouth. Not once did I feel sedated/dizzy/weak ... the needle puncture didnt seem to be near the vein when I looked later. I've since spoke to a couple of friends who had a similar procedure but they said they were disorientated and zonked out from sedation!

I've had such a miserable christmas making myself eat gluten and all for..... nothing! Aaarrrrgggghhh! :(

The endo report does says: Anaemia, Positive TTG weakly positive EMA intension to liopsy for lactose intolerance. Comments: Unable to tolerate procedure therefore abandoned. Patient will be referred to dietician and commenced on gluten free diet.

Previously I was told I would be sent for a bone density test.

Just so annoyed at myself when I know others have gone thru the biopsy smoothly and now I'll never know to what extent the damage is (which might help to keep me on track of staying gluten free and something to compare with in future) and now unsure if my family will take me seriously or get tested themselves.

Sorry, I just needed to rant.....anyway, new day tomorrow, new start ...as gluten free :)
Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,825 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

No, no, no being so hard on yourself - you tried and if your family doubts your diagnosis with positive antibodies - send them to us - we will educate them.

The great news is now you can remove all gluten for good - good ridence - sionara - adios! Spell check doesn't work on my cell - so pardon any mistakes.

Congrats on getting past the dredded day :)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#3 VeggieGal

VeggieGal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:38 PM

Thanks GottaSki...think you just made my first real smile of the day :)

#4 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,825 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

Good - repeat as often as possible - it really does help.

Hang in there and :)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#5 VeggieGal

VeggieGal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

Adios yucky gluten :) :) :) feelin better already :)

#6 kareng

kareng

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,636 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:31 PM

That sounds nasty! I was asleep for mine. Don't think I could have done it awake!

Welcome to the club! Posted Image

Your secret decoder rings and shoe phone will arrive shortly (but don't hold your breath).

Posted Image

LTES

You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six. ~Yogi Berra

smiley-eating-pizza-slice-emoticon.gif

#7 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:33 PM

I was diagnosed on blood tests alone too. A positive is a positive whether it's a blood test or endoscopy... and you had two positive blood tests! Adios gluten is right! :)

And just tell your family that you had the blood tests, and "went in" for the endoscopy, and you tested positive... they don't need to know your testing details when you are trying to get them to take it seriously. ;)

Best wishes.
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

#8 VeggieGal

VeggieGal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

Cheers Karen and nvsmom....i'm excited to starting a healthier lifesyle. Best get some new pots, pans, toaster and a shopping list sorted :)

#9 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:59 PM

Certainly not your fault that they didn't sedate you thoroughly ! A lot of these docs ought to do a week's tour with an equine veterinarian making barn calls running naso-gastric tubes for colics to check for reflux, and then they'd learn what sedation really means - :P they can't knock them out because the horses have to remain standing and semi-conscious, but they don't dally around with something that large who's very uncomfortable and might not appreciate a rubber hose going up their nose, thinking "oh well, :rolleyes: maybe that was it."

#10 kerid

kerid

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:15 PM

oh honey, that sounds horrible! if you had ttg, though, you already KNOW you have tissue damage... enough to create an autoimmune response within yourself, whereby your antibodies are attacking your intestines (and God knows what other body organs!) and i agree that it is not your fault they didn't sedate you correctly. and i agree with nvsmom... nobody needs to know the details!

kareng~ i want a secret decoder ring too!!! hehehe!!!

#11 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,369 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

V Gal,

Well, this is the fault of the hospital staff, honey. You should have been heavily sedated , not just numbed. Poor babe. I HATE any tubes down my throat too and do not get me started on anything going in anywhere else. I clam up like ...well, a clam....slam . shut.
bring on the heavy drugs or you ain't getting in.

I can relate to a story of a botched procedure (not the endo, but the OTHER one.....) my poor hubs did not go OUT after being sedated
and well, let's just say he sat bolt upright and had the doc by the front of his white coat.........they blasted him with more. The doc is lucky
as the hubs is a pretty big dude.

anyhooo, here's your afternoon cheer:

Cry no tears!
heave no sighs!
you're one of us...
gluten, "GOODBYE!

Yaaaaaay, Gluten free!!!!!!!!!

buggers, I ripped my pants doing the jump and split...

but here's what I looked like!

Posted Image

apparently, there is a delay in the shipment of the secret decoder rings as Karen promised me one 2 years ago and I'm still checking the mailbox every darn day.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#12 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:28 PM

They never manage to knock me out with their so-called sedatives - gotta bring in the heavy troops like a general to take this woman down. And that went for colonoscopy, bronchoscopy, endoscopy, but sssshh. don't normally tell newbies this possibility. But if you tell them, they know it, and they still can't sedate you, that's incompetence or willfulness :ph34r:

I had to have a breathing tube and nasogastric feeding tube last summer and, while I have no memory of any of this, hubs tells me I was kicking and screaming and they had to tie my hands and feet down because I was trying to pull everythng out :lol:
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

#13 VeggieGal

VeggieGal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

Awww thanks all for your comments and understanding and sooo glad I'm one of us!! ..love the poem IH and Karen, excitedly awaiting my secret decoder :)

:) :) :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: