6 replies to this topic

#1 AmyVC

AmyVC

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

I'm very confused about vodka. Is it gluten free or not? My sister was diagnosed with Celiac over 10 years ago and swears only potato vodka is safe. I was just diagnosed 2 months ago. Everything I read about vodka is ...conflicting. Maybe my sister is going off old information...?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

They say all distrilled liquour is gluten-free because of the triple distillation process.

I personally really like Luksusowa vodka. It's made from potatoes and has won some impressive taste awards. Look for the red label and confusing name.
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#3 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

It is generally accepted that distilled spirits are gluten-free, since the gluten molecule is too large and heavy to be vaporized. Nevertheless, some very sensitive celiacs report reacting to grain-alcohol spirits. Fragments of the molecule could get into the distillate, and cause a reaction in those people. I can drink whisky without issue.

There are potato vodkas available. Smirnoff is made from corn, which is not a gluten grain.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 MrsVJW

MrsVJW

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:20 AM

Bambora is a brand out of Australia, and it's made from grapes, not grain. And it's not as expensive as potato vodka usually is.

#5 archaeo in FL

archaeo in FL

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:40 AM

As Peter said, all distilled liquor is supposed to be gluten-free - but I've had people quickly jump on me to tell me about their reactions, so I guess super-sensitive Celiacs need to be careful. I really like Tito's - it's made in Texas, and is now being marketed as gluten-free (which makes me mad, given that all liquor is supposed to be - but maybe even super sensitive folks can have it). I just happen to really like it, and it's not expensive!

#6 MJ_S

MJ_S

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:39 AM

I drink Cold River vodka - made in Maine from potatoes.
I've reacted to Sake in the past, which (at the least the kind I tried) uses barley early in the process (before distillation). Super-sensitives do need to be careful.

Blood Tests: TTG IgA Negative / Total IGA Normal

Skin: Confirmed DH
Genetic: DQ8 & DQ6 Positive (DQA1*0301, DQB1*0302, DQA1*0103, DQB1*0603)
Free Of: Gluten 1/1/11, Dairy 2010, Soy 2011

#7 ByeByeBarley

ByeByeBarley

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:15 PM

I drink Cold River vodka - made in Maine from potatoes.
I've reacted to Sake in the past, which (at the least the kind I tried) uses barley early in the process (before distillation). Super-sensitives do need to be careful.

In addition to Cold River's regular vodka, they also have a very good blueberry vodka. Slightly off topic, but they also have a potato gin, which makes an excellent G&T!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: