This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Allergies Now Too? Anyone Else? Had Enough Today

designerstubble

designerstubble Enthusiast

Hola.

Well, I've ignored various (nothing major) intermittent small patches of hives around my body these last three gluten-free months... I have even almost ignored 3/4 small lots of hives around one eye... But tonight I'm annoyed.

I ate an omelette (nothing new), onions peppars, bit of paprika, rocket, few green beans.

1 hour later...

Warm eye. Didn't even realise til I found myself pulling at my eyelashes because it felt like something was in there, that actually the corner of my eye is swollen and there are 5 hives under my eye (within eye socket area). Wtf? Sorry. I'm so annoyed. I've had enough.

Ok so I also had some wine (my usual, and I'd eaten 5/6 mint chocs, again my usual).

Why?

Suddenly I'm so much more allergic? I seemed to react to celery a while back too? What could this be? Also felt funny in the throat after eating fennel seeds in my rice a few nights ago.

So....

On just one eye?????

Anyone know what this could be about? All I know for sure is that I seem to know less and less every day. It's getting to me.

I'm becoming food phobic and feel as though every time I eat its like a time bomb waiting...

Could/ would leaky gut do this to me?

Won't be able to sleep again tonight :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shadowicewolf Proficient

Gluten has a tendency for masking other allergys. I had this issue with tomatos. Didn't break out in hives, but i got the worst sunburn sensation ever.

Take a benadryl that should stop it. An elimination diet is in order, or perhaps even a trip to an allergist.

Thanks for replying.

It's a real downer. If I cut much more out I'll have nothing left. (Vegetarian, gluten free, dairy free, caffeine free, soya free, corn free, virtually processed free!)

I hope it's not eggs, (although the increase in the amount I eat is substantial recently).

Also can't have nuts lentils and legumes in house as my son is allergic.

Gonna give up eating I think. Ugh.

Juliebove Rising Star

I get hives *in* my eye. The first time it happened, I have no clue what triggered it. Then the next time, I was in the woods and my BIL had moved a tree branch out of the way so we could get through. As in a branch that was attached to the tree and he accidentally let it go just as I was passing. It whapped me in the eye and the eyeball immediately began to swell.

Other times both eyes swelled and turned red when I was around a certain dog. This didn't always happen so I have a feeling that it was not just the dog but some product that they used on the dog.

I have also gotten hives all over my body for no apparent reason and once for a very apparent one. Hyacinth bulbs. I don't think it was the bulbs themselves but something they were packed in. I couldn't touch them. And since I was the garden shop manager I rather had to. So I would try to wear gloves but then it would contain whatever it was to underneath the gloves. So if I couldn't find another employee to do it for me, I would look around to find a kid and offer to pay them a quarter or two to hang them on the peghook. Thankfully they didn't have this effect on other people.

GottaSki Mentor

Hi Designer-

I am sorry to say I could have written this post myself more than a few times. It sucks to continually lose healthful foods.

Took me over two years to find the right combo to start healing and then had another setback and lost more. I remain hopeful that once I finally heal my digestive system I will get some foods back - for now I am once again improving - I often say I would eat cardboard to stay vertical -- thankfully I have found lots of tasty options with my short list of foods.

I hope you find the right combo for you soon -- until then -- hang in there and feel free to vent as much as you need -- we get it!

@juliebove

I totally understand the hive thing you poor thing. I have had hives in reaction to animals and dust, but since I avoid them I have not had hives for 20 years! Except for now. And it's totally destroying to think that it's now from food. I'm in giving up mode today. Eat nothing. Just on the herbal tea. Though I'm sure I'll eventually react to that too!

@gottaski

I'm sorry you have gone through so much. Did you get hives? I have also come up in eczema patches around my eyes, and look completely gorgeous. Got a good look going here with the thinning hair. Went to my alternative health practitioner for some acupuncture today, and Osteo. He reckons the few chocolates and chips I ate over the holidays has put my body out and has set me back :( apparently all my GI valves had 'blown' and he reset them again. He says that perhaps by eating these things I have 'sensitized' my self again and flared my intestines (must admit they've been feeling sore for a few days)...

Thanks guys for answering. I can't even bring myself to rant anymore, today is just gonna have to be food free, I'm beginning to despise the stuff and look at it as if its out to get me. (Bad day today)

GottaSki Mentor

Yep - I get hives from crab, lobster, all seeds and heat.

Feel better - try to have some veggie broth at least :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Oh seeds... I eat seeds.

It's the 'not knowing' that taxes me so much.

(I just ate a banana, having a sugar high) thank you

Archived