9 replies to this topic

#1 DavinaRN

DavinaRN

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:41 PM

I got a good deal on two boxes of this. So on the pancakes, can I make some batter, cook and freeze for quick breakfast? Do you freeze like normal? How about the sausage balls? Any other ideas?
Gluten Free since October 2012
Negative blood work, positive dietary response
Endocrinologist offered referral to GI if I needed formal diagnosis to follow the diet, otherwise just pass on wheat, barley & rye
and save my money

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:55 PM

I make the mix with a T of extra fat - butter or bacon grease - and cook them up, freeze the left overs. If you have an indorr (like G. Foreman) grill, they heat up beautifully in that. Otherwise, you could toast them. Then they're great for breakfast bisquits.
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#3 CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:21 PM

When I used this, I added just alittle more liquid to pancakes. For the sausage balls, follow the online recipe on bettycrocker.com click gluten free recipes. I don't add the herbs and I use a pound of sausage instead of 8 oz because we like a lot of it in there. That is the only difference from the gluten-free recipe.

This is an awesome mix to work with. I have found, sometimes you need to "eye" the product you're working with and make adjustments. My kids loves it when I make the pizza recipe for them, but add bacon, cheese and fresh chives into a gluten-free bread..

Sorry, never froze any of it...
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.
George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10
Endo biopsy positive 5/10
Gluten free 5/10

#4 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:32 PM

I swear, please don't use it for pizza dough. It''s bad enough as bisquit mix.
Much better alternatives for pizza are Chebes , Against the Grain or Glutinos, not necessarily in that order.
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#5 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:26 PM

I makes perfectly acceptable pancakes or waffles. (I'm more of a waffle person, but that's just my OCD. You don't get syrup all over the plate when there are perfectly good holes to put it in.) I do prefer Hodgson Mill by far for waffles though. The waffles or pancakes, if made the right size, heat up just right in the toaster just like an Eggo.

What I love the Bisquick for is the impossible pies. The coconut one? Absolutely amazingly delicious. Quick and easy to just throw together, and bam you have a pie! I agree, the pizza dough is so far beyond horrid I wouldn't attempt to feed it to a dog.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#6 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:41 PM

We made a chicken pot pie thingy with the bisquick on top. That was pretty good. The recipe on the Bisquick site uses cans of Progresso gluten-free soup so it was a bit salty.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#7 Zibby

Zibby

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:22 AM

I picked up some gluten-free Bisquick yesterday as well. I Googled Bisquick gluten-free recipes and found some good ones on their site. I want to try the pumpkin pancakes!

#8 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:12 AM

I picked up some gluten-free Bisquick yesterday as well. I Googled Bisquick gluten-free recipes and found some good ones on their site. I want to try the pumpkin pancakes!

You can add all sorts of things to your pancakes, you don't even need a recipe! I add bananas, chocolate chips, pumpkin, applesauce, chopped apples, strawberries, nuts, chocolate syrup, honey instead of sugar. Sometimes combos too. You can eyeball if it needs a little more liquid or a little less, pancakes are easy that way, and it really is a matter of preference that way too. Favorite combos are pumpkin and chocolate chips, applesauce and nuts with cinnamon, and strawberries and chocolate syrup. I like the bananas plain, then doing a chocolate nut sauce on top.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#9 DavinaRN

DavinaRN

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:28 PM

Mmmmm sounds good. Found a recipe for sausage pancake bites that I'm going to try this weekend. It would be awesome to have a gallon bag of those frozen (yep started looking for recipe after seeing dunkin doughnut commerical).
Gluten Free since October 2012
Negative blood work, positive dietary response
Endocrinologist offered referral to GI if I needed formal diagnosis to follow the diet, otherwise just pass on wheat, barley & rye
and save my money

#10 CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:09 PM

I've never made pizza with it, but if you use the pizza dough recipe and add bacon, cheese and fresh chives. Bake in an 8x9 pan, cut in squares. My gluten eating kids and friends love it. The impossible pies do turn out very good with this. Check out Bettycrocker online, you'll find lots of gluten-free recipes there.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.
George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10
Endo biopsy positive 5/10
Gluten free 5/10

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: