arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Tomato Sauce And Paste Recipe For Sauce?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:00 AM

Does anyone have a good recipe for a homemade sauce to put over gluten free noodles? I am thinking about using tomato sauce and paste? Is Contadina a good brand or Hunts or there is an organic one at my store too. I have no idea which to use. I am thinking garlic and oregano and basil too. Any ideas?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:47 AM

My favourite tomato sauces start from roasting tomatoes, onions and garlic and then just blending all in food processor or blender. I slice the tomatoes in half, place cut side up on the sheet, drizzle with olive oil (don't bother with EVOO), sprinkle with S&P, a touch of sugar and fresh thyme leaves. Then I throw on some garlic cloves and chunks of onion and roast until tender and charred. Heck - sometimes I also roast a carrot and/or celery. That is all it takes for a wonderful sauce. You can add oregno instead of the thyme. If you use basil, be sure to add at the end - don't roast it. You use fresh raw ingredients without any need of tomato sauce and/or paste. Oh, I've also roasted tomatillos with the tomatoes. Delicious.

ETA: Don't forget to slip the skin off the tomatoes (which is very easy once they have roasted).

Edited by love2travel, 04 January 2013 - 10:50 AM.

<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#3 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

That sauce sounds amazing and as soon as I can buy fresh tomatoes I will make it!!! The tomatoes here right now are very very mealy and grainy. So for right now until I can get fresh, I have to use canned tomato products. I'm going to print out your recipe and save it for later. Thanks

#4 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:55 AM

That sauce sounds amazing and as soon as I can buy fresh tomatoes I will make it!!! The tomatoes here right now are very very mealy and grainy. So for right now until I can get fresh, I have to use canned tomato products. I'm going to print out your recipe and save it for later. Thanks

Believe me, our tomatoes here frankly suck this time of year. However, roma tomatoes are the best to use in winter as they retain more flavour than others. So, I still make the sauce over winter. Roasting the tomatoes really concentrates the flavour and brings out the natural sugars as they begin to caramelize. I would recommend still making them if you can find roma tomatoes.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#5 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:09 PM

Do you think that this recipe would work with canned tomatoes? How many romas would I need if I use fresh? Last time I tried to use romas, my sauce was pink!

#6 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:22 PM

Do you think that this recipe would work with canned tomatoes? How many romas would I need if I use fresh? Last time I tried to use romas, my sauce was pink!

The flavour and texture will be different but I would personally try it. I would still roast them to concentrate their flavour. Hmmmm...when I make this sauce I make enough for one hearty meal for two then freeze the equivalent. So, I would probably use about 6-8 romas, one onion (chunks) and a few cloves of garlic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: