This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Feeling Great But Can't Eat!

AshBil

AshBil Rookie

Since I was diagnosed in October, I've been doing really well on this diet. In the beginning, I was still feeling terrible and thought I was doing something wrong but then I did more research and saw that you won't feel better overnight so I held out hope. I started getting better at reading labels and knowing what to look for and realized that I wasn't eating some of the right stuff. So October and November were still very iffy for me. That darn nausea just wouldn't leave me alone! But finally and happily during the last couple of weeks of December, I felt so much better. No sharp stomach pains and no extreme nausea. It has been glorious to not feel like dying everyday again. I'm finally healing and it's amazing. I got thrown a curveball though the week before Christmas. I had almost a full week of no nausea and then got a stomach bug so that was no fun at all haha. Once that went away, I went back to feeling just fine. I still do! I'm so happy at the way I feel. And since being on this diet and not being able to eat all the fast food and junk i used to eat, I've lost 13 pounds. I can finally live my life again without pain all the time. It's amazing. But one thing has been happening lately ever since I started feeling better and not feeling sick anymore. I get full so quick. Way too quick. I eat a couple of bites of something and get so full that I feel like I ate a five course meal. Like yesterday, I ate a small bowlfull of Tostitos (my fave go-to snack lately) in the afternoon. It was the first thing I ate yesterday. It filled me up for the rest of the night. We had cheesburgers for dinner and mac n cheese (mine obvioulsy with gluten free pasta) and I couldn't even eat it. I was still so full hours later from the chips that I took two bites of the macaroni and ate only half of one of the cheeseburgers when we each could have three and was ready to burst i felt so full. Is this normal when you start feeling better? Is it normal at all? I know I heard that usually when you go on this diet you actually start to feel really hungry but it seems I'm in the other direction. I feel like I'm barely eating everyday because any little thing I eat fills me up for the rest of the day. And after all that, I woke up today still feeling full from yesterday. I'm forcing some food into me right now because I have to eat obviously but I don't really want it. Just wondering if anyone has any insight to this. Thanks!! And happy new year!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cavernio Enthusiast

My celiac symptoms included bloating, although I would still cram food in there and feel hungry despite my bloated stomach :-p

You may feel better being lactose free. Bloating is a sign of lactose intolerance which you've probably heard a million times by now, is standard problem for celiacs.

tarnalberry Community Regular

Those are very calorie dense foods... Do you feel the same if you have a bit of salad or some carrots?

AshBil Rookie

I'm not bloated, I just have that feeling as if I ate a lot when I only ate a small amount of chips. It's the full feeling on the inside without the bloat. It's just weird that a small amount of chips could fill me up so quick and last so long. It's like that with anything I eat lately. The first thing I eat that day no matter what it is, it intantly fills me up for the rest of the day. Like I said, those Tostitos filled me up so much I couldn't even eat the cheeseburger or the mac n cheese. I had to force small bites down. It's been going on for the last couple of weeks maybe.

nvsmom Community Regular

I find that I get full much much faster than before I was gluten-free. I usually only eat off salad plates because I get enough from that... I'm going with it since I ate too much before. ;)

LauraB0927 Apprentice

Have you tried taking digestive enzymes? It might be able to help you break down the food more...

Archived