40 replies to this topic

#1 123glldd

123glldd

Advanced Community Member

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

So every so often for a few years I got upper abdominal pain. Upper stomach right between the ribs. It happened so infrequent that I left it alone. I found it increasing and many times waking me up from my sleep for a little while...taking an anxiety pill or chewing gum or eating a little sometimes helped but sometimes it felt so achey i thought i'd be sick but it would subside. So fast foreward to me finding out i have celiac disease..i have UTI test strips that I use from time to time to make sure i don't have something when i feel sick as i have a history of them. Bilirubin is on these strips as well. It was elevated. However in november 2011 i had blood tests and they were pretty normal levels. Though I had had water within 4 hours of the test so that could have messed it up. Anyhow..at first i was scared about this as bilirubin isn't suppose to be in urine and so I went to the doctor and he sent me for an abdominal ultrasound. Liver, pancreas, spleen. kidneys...i might be forgetting something. All turned out perfectly normal looking apparently. So the doctors theory was Gilbert's Syndrome. Later I found out leaky gut can cause it as well. So I don't really know for sure what causes it with me yet.

.I did fine for the first 2 months or so gluten free then had a reaction..gluten or otherwise to something in the beginning of august. Lots of mucus etc. Since then I've been on a pretty limited diet and trying to re-introduce things. The upper stomach pain has continued..but it's not as severe as it use to be...and i seem to get it primarily during the middle of my cycle. I am currently working on keeping track of that on a calendar because I SUPPOSE it could be SOMETHING hormonal? Well anyhow...fast foreward december 29th 2012...I woke up nauseous. Never had anything different to eat other than what I have been eating the past few months. My temperature while up and walking around was 99.2 which is technically not a fever but i'm usually between 98 and 98.5 and rarely do i get above that from just walking around the house. So my temps were elevated a bit. This was not the same kind of sick feeling that i got from the tummy aches..this was full blown nauseous. So I was nauseated for a couple days. Then the last couple days I'm waking up with really loose bowels. No mucus. I have had a stressful month so i suppose it could just be that? But it's not completely watery but like a step away from it...tons of little bits of stool rather than water or full pieces. Very small tiny bits. And yellow. Now over the years when I'd have "irritable bowel" (most likely i was celiac then tho) I'd have yellowish stool. My mom said she'd had it before and she doesn't even have what i have that we know of. Just when she'd have diarrhea sometimes it was that color. Right now...no tummy aches but i've been checking my bilirubin in urine again since the 29th and it's been elevated. Did I get glutened? Does anyone else just get randomly sick for no reason while healing? Not sure what could be causing the elevated bilirubin right now as it had started to get a bit better for a while...but i haven't been getting my usual 8 glasses of water and have not eaten as much as i'd like and i know dehydration and starvation can cause it to happen as well. Past two days I've eaten a lot of ore ida fries it's all my tummy goes for as well as broccoli. I know the fries have annatto food coloring..could that be why my stool is yellowish?

So many factors...really cranky about it all right now...just wanna feel normal and go DO something lol Thoughts?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

I had elevated liver enzymes when I was diagnosed. It's a hallmark symptom of celiac. The fevers I run when glutened same thing with your stool issues. It sounds to me like you were glutened!! I would lay off of those fries and make your own. Just peel some potatoes cut into pieces and put in a bag with some oil and shake it up then just bake at 425 until they are done like you like. You can broil the last few minutes to get them brown and crispy.

Hope you feel better.

#3 123glldd

123glldd

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

Ore Ida are gluten free though and they've never bothered me before?

#4 123glldd

123glldd

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

Still trying to figure out where the heck gluten could have gotten me....

#5 123glldd

123glldd

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

My diet the day before this started was:ore ida fries, goya black beans and chick peas, kettle sea salt chips, and rice chex. None of which have been bothering me. My husband is worried that i might be eating beans too much. Almost every meal every day for a while now.

#6 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

Sometimes we just don't know what could have gotten us since reactions can be delayed. When you have been glutened, sometimes it helps to eat nothing processed until you start feeling better.

Beans may cause gas but they wont cause you to be glutened though. I wouldn't worry about that. Maybe try eating some baked chicken and a sweet potato or some fruit or rice or eggs etc.

I hope you feel better soon!

#7 123glldd

123glldd

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:37 PM

It's just....I've been so limited....if i didn't eat some of these processed foods i'd be missing on nutrients like for instance..rice chex. I also would NEVER get enough calories into me. But I've been eating them with no issues now for months. Last time I had a reaction (august) it was mucus and diarrhea all the time. I'm only getting it upon waking. And it came days after the nausea...i'm so confused :(

#8 123glldd

123glldd

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:40 PM

Only thing I'm wondering is ....my husband still has dairy and peppers etc...if I had a casein or nightshade problem that I don't know about...can kissing him be like kissing someone eating gluten? I dunno how casein and nightshade react on people if they are not eating it. Is it as bad as gluten? Cause if so do me and my hubby have to worry about cross contamination? I do distinctly remember a night or two before getting sick he had made homemade queso and i kissed him and could taste the dairy and pepper but...i figured i wasn't EATING it..and i dunno for sure if i have issues with it so i didn't worry about it..then this happened.

#9 123glldd

123glldd

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:43 PM

As for sweet potato..haven't reintroduced it and i don't eat chicken after a bad experience getting sick in 2005. I've been worried about POSSIBLE salicylic acid sensitivity and sweet potato is high in that. I tried turnip greens and had a tummy ache mid december and no idea if it was actually them or something else that caused it as it SEEMS it happens middle of my cycle. So you see my dilemma...I have a lot to figure out.

#10 123glldd

123glldd

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:46 PM

p.s. what my husband was worried about is that i may be making myself intolerant to the beans by eating them too much. And that that might be why i'm not well. I haven't eaten them in two days now and the nausea is gone. Whether that is coincidence or not I have no idea. But he didn't think I was glutened by them.

#11 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:15 PM

I think what your hub is worried aboout is that you don't eat a very balanced diet. Maybe some veggies or fruit? some protein? Fiber? No one will digest well on that limited diet.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#12 123glldd

123glldd

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:15 PM

Or maybe it's a virus working it's way through my system i dunno :(

#13 123glldd

123glldd

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

I do eat broccoli and cabbage and carrot that was just what i was listing from the day before.

#14 123glldd

123glldd

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

He is worried about the limited diet but i tried to have turnip greens and had a tummy ache. What he's specifically worried about at the moment is the beans being eaten multiple times a day every day.

#15 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

Wendy, I'm a bit worried about you. You are posting every few minutes, whether you have a comment or not. Stop and take a breath. I think the idea of meditation or Yoga or something might be a very good idea. Get out and find something to do.

Trying turnip greens....try something else. There is no calories or protein in turnip greens.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: