This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Randomly Sick

123glldd

123glldd Collaborator

So every so often for a few years I got upper abdominal pain. Upper stomach right between the ribs. It happened so infrequent that I left it alone. I found it increasing and many times waking me up from my sleep for a little while...taking an anxiety pill or chewing gum or eating a little sometimes helped but sometimes it felt so achey i thought i'd be sick but it would subside. So fast foreward to me finding out i have celiac disease..i have UTI test strips that I use from time to time to make sure i don't have something when i feel sick as i have a history of them. Bilirubin is on these strips as well. It was elevated. However in november 2011 i had blood tests and they were pretty normal levels. Though I had had water within 4 hours of the test so that could have messed it up. Anyhow..at first i was scared about this as bilirubin isn't suppose to be in urine and so I went to the doctor and he sent me for an abdominal ultrasound. Liver, pancreas, spleen. kidneys...i might be forgetting something. All turned out perfectly normal looking apparently. So the doctors theory was Gilbert's Syndrome. Later I found out leaky gut can cause it as well. So I don't really know for sure what causes it with me yet.

.I did fine for the first 2 months or so gluten free then had a reaction..gluten or otherwise to something in the beginning of august. Lots of mucus etc. Since then I've been on a pretty limited diet and trying to re-introduce things. The upper stomach pain has continued..but it's not as severe as it use to be...and i seem to get it primarily during the middle of my cycle. I am currently working on keeping track of that on a calendar because I SUPPOSE it could be SOMETHING hormonal? Well anyhow...fast foreward december 29th 2012...I woke up nauseous. Never had anything different to eat other than what I have been eating the past few months. My temperature while up and walking around was 99.2 which is technically not a fever but i'm usually between 98 and 98.5 and rarely do i get above that from just walking around the house. So my temps were elevated a bit. This was not the same kind of sick feeling that i got from the tummy aches..this was full blown nauseous. So I was nauseated for a couple days. Then the last couple days I'm waking up with really loose bowels. No mucus. I have had a stressful month so i suppose it could just be that? But it's not completely watery but like a step away from it...tons of little bits of stool rather than water or full pieces. Very small tiny bits. And yellow. Now over the years when I'd have "irritable bowel" (most likely i was celiac then tho) I'd have yellowish stool. My mom said she'd had it before and she doesn't even have what i have that we know of. Just when she'd have diarrhea sometimes it was that color. Right now...no tummy aches but i've been checking my bilirubin in urine again since the 29th and it's been elevated. Did I get glutened? Does anyone else just get randomly sick for no reason while healing? Not sure what could be causing the elevated bilirubin right now as it had started to get a bit better for a while...but i haven't been getting my usual 8 glasses of water and have not eaten as much as i'd like and i know dehydration and starvation can cause it to happen as well. Past two days I've eaten a lot of ore ida fries it's all my tummy goes for as well as broccoli. I know the fries have annatto food coloring..could that be why my stool is yellowish?

So many factors...really cranky about it all right now...just wanna feel normal and go DO something lol Thoughts?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFreeMO Proficient

I had elevated liver enzymes when I was diagnosed. It's a hallmark symptom of celiac. The fevers I run when glutened same thing with your stool issues. It sounds to me like you were glutened!! I would lay off of those fries and make your own. Just peel some potatoes cut into pieces and put in a bag with some oil and shake it up then just bake at 425 until they are done like you like. You can broil the last few minutes to get them brown and crispy.

Hope you feel better.

123glldd Collaborator

Ore Ida are gluten free though and they've never bothered me before?

123glldd Collaborator

Still trying to figure out where the heck gluten could have gotten me....

123glldd Collaborator

My diet the day before this started was:ore ida fries, goya black beans and chick peas, kettle sea salt chips, and rice chex. None of which have been bothering me. My husband is worried that i might be eating beans too much. Almost every meal every day for a while now.

GFreeMO Proficient

Sometimes we just don't know what could have gotten us since reactions can be delayed. When you have been glutened, sometimes it helps to eat nothing processed until you start feeling better.

Beans may cause gas but they wont cause you to be glutened though. I wouldn't worry about that. Maybe try eating some baked chicken and a sweet potato or some fruit or rice or eggs etc.

I hope you feel better soon!

123glldd Collaborator

It's just....I've been so limited....if i didn't eat some of these processed foods i'd be missing on nutrients like for instance..rice chex. I also would NEVER get enough calories into me. But I've been eating them with no issues now for months. Last time I had a reaction (august) it was mucus and diarrhea all the time. I'm only getting it upon waking. And it came days after the nausea...i'm so confused :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

123glldd Collaborator

Only thing I'm wondering is ....my husband still has dairy and peppers etc...if I had a casein or nightshade problem that I don't know about...can kissing him be like kissing someone eating gluten? I dunno how casein and nightshade react on people if they are not eating it. Is it as bad as gluten? Cause if so do me and my hubby have to worry about cross contamination? I do distinctly remember a night or two before getting sick he had made homemade queso and i kissed him and could taste the dairy and pepper but...i figured i wasn't EATING it..and i dunno for sure if i have issues with it so i didn't worry about it..then this happened.

123glldd Collaborator

As for sweet potato..haven't reintroduced it and i don't eat chicken after a bad experience getting sick in 2005. I've been worried about POSSIBLE salicylic acid sensitivity and sweet potato is high in that. I tried turnip greens and had a tummy ache mid december and no idea if it was actually them or something else that caused it as it SEEMS it happens middle of my cycle. So you see my dilemma...I have a lot to figure out.

123glldd Collaborator

p.s. what my husband was worried about is that i may be making myself intolerant to the beans by eating them too much. And that that might be why i'm not well. I haven't eaten them in two days now and the nausea is gone. Whether that is coincidence or not I have no idea. But he didn't think I was glutened by them.

kareng Grand Master

I think what your hub is worried aboout is that you don't eat a very balanced diet. Maybe some veggies or fruit? some protein? Fiber? No one will digest well on that limited diet.

123glldd Collaborator

Or maybe it's a virus working it's way through my system i dunno :(

123glldd Collaborator

I do eat broccoli and cabbage and carrot that was just what i was listing from the day before.

123glldd Collaborator

He is worried about the limited diet but i tried to have turnip greens and had a tummy ache. What he's specifically worried about at the moment is the beans being eaten multiple times a day every day.

kareng Grand Master

Wendy, I'm a bit worried about you. You are posting every few minutes, whether you have a comment or not. Stop and take a breath. I think the idea of meditation or Yoga or something might be a very good idea. Get out and find something to do.

Trying turnip greens....try something else. There is no calories or protein in turnip greens.

123glldd Collaborator

I eat salmon and lean ground beef thank you and there is protein in all the beans. I post every few minutes because i just didn't bother to go back and hit edit. As for going out i feel too sick.

What I am severely lacking is calcium which is why turnip greens were a focus.

love2travel Mentor

Wendy, stress is no doubt exacerbating your symptoms in addition to your severely limited diet. Are you able to take calcium supplements? Are you taking any supplements? Probiotics?

GFreeMO Proficient

So Delicious Coconut milk has calcium and is really good. You could try that.

123glldd Collaborator

Supplements don't agree with me much. I was taking vitamin D3+K2 in a liquid supplement form before all this. At some point while visiting my family back home i realized it was tasting funny. So i stopped drinking it for a couple weeks till we got back and i bought more. Next thing i knew it i didn't have the guts to try it after my glluten or whatever it was reaction in august because i MIGHT have a salicylic acid problem and it's a fruity drink it comes in. I'm scared to take normal supplements because my tummy is sensitive even to food right now so supplements are scarier especially in pill form. The company who makes my vitamin I was taking is nutrimetrix and it's apparently gluten free but whether that's certified i have no idea. They just told me it was. But it's not even so much the gluten that worries me about it...well, that's a lie...all of it worries me but...calcium i have never taken..never needed to because i always drank so much milk and ate greens. Since all this in august I've not had much of both only cabbage and broccoli and some turnip greens that may or may not have upset my stomach. I desperately know i want calcium. Which is why I've focused on that. It's also why i eat the rice chex and beans...per serving the beans have 4%...the rice chex 10% etc Even more worrisome about the calcium is that i eat protein ..and protein can block absorption of calcium so even tho i may get 20-30 % my daily intake of calcium a day...i dunno how much of it is being absorbed. I know I need to eat more but i can't very well try something knew after the turnip greens when my tummy ache lasts a week and then it was christmas and i just wanted a merry christmas and i was going to try pumpkin we have in cans here after christmas but now i'm sick again. I can never feel well enough for enough time to be able to experiment. When the sickness lasts a while and then i don't have much time to get something new into me. I'm not going to try something new while i'm still sick otherwise i won't know if it bothers me and it's becoming a huge hinderance to me so I don't like feeling judged by some on here about this. I'm trying as best I can. This is why i brought up the random tummy pains that don't involve diarrhea or anything like that...the part of my original message that is completely different from what i have now...because that has become a hinderance to my being able to experiment. I can't tell for the life of me whether it was the turnip greens or that i get this odd ache randomly mid month because it seemed that way from the last couple months. I'm waiting for mid month this month to see before introducing something else completely new. Otherwise i won't know whether to try the turnip greens again or not. This is all too frustrating. I cry almost every day because I don't know what to do with myself. I wish people on here would ASK me though instead of making me feel judged..assuming i don't eat protein etc. All I said was what I had the day before my getting sick i didn't list off everything i eat :(

123glldd Collaborator

So Delicious Coconut milk has calcium and is really good. You could try that.

I know and i LOVE their chocolate but i was having that and even amy's palak paneer after the original episode in august and was fine but the tummy aches that seem unrelated to this i have now continued so i cut it all out. I was also nervous about the coconut milk because of sugar and i wasn't sure if i had candida and all this..it's all been guess work. I've been wanting the coconut milk so bad again :(

GFreeMO Proficient

I'm sorry and I don't mean to sound rude but you are really wrapped up in counting calcium and protein etc. How about calcium fortified OJ or So Delicious coconut milk or almond milk etc.

You said that you eat ground beef. How about making a hamburger and eating lettuce, tomato, pickles, ketchup etc. Fry some bacon to put on top...so many things to eat to be concentrated on a few foods.

123glldd Collaborator

I do want to say...this past couple months have been extremely hard on me and my husband. And I already had anxiety disorder...specificially about stomach sickness mostly. But I'm very close to my grandfather and he has alzheimers and end of november i was crying all the time thinking about that and i've been cutting toxic people out of my life on facebook...even family who i just know don't really care..we had a falling out with someone who was suppose to be a close friend.....I'm emotional as hell and i'm scared for my health....i go looking for preferably safe frozen food because it's easier to prepare and i can't find safe companies. I generally eat green giant broccoli and use a pressure cooker for carrots and cabbaage which is fine. I want more cauliflower etc and to try frozen spinach but can't find that in green giant and i don't trust bird's eye etc :(

123glldd Collaborator

I'm sorry and I don't mean to sound rude but you are really wrapped up in counting calcium and protein etc. How about calcium fortified OJ or So Delicious coconut milk or almond milk etc.

You said that you eat ground beef. How about making a hamburger and eating lettuce, tomato, pickles, ketchup etc. Fry some bacon to put on top...so many things to eat to be concentrated on a few foods.

And this as i said before is my issue....I'm unsure what caused the reaction in august. I was eating all kinds of things right left and center before that happened without issue. Including dairy. I don't touch almond milk because it's high in salicylic acid...same with tomato and ketchup etc orange juice would be good onlly for the fact the orange would be a nightmare for my stomach right now. It's high in acid content. I'm completely lost :(

123glldd Collaborator

Point being i'm not stupid..and i'm not avoiding this stuff for no reason....i have reasons.

123glldd Collaborator

We have a can of libby's..or is it liddy's? i don't remember...pumpkin out in the cupboard. My stomach grumbles just thinking about taking a spoonful of it but i don't want to do it while already sick. Which seems to happen on and off all month..which was my original question....while healing is it normal to just...get random stomach discomfort without it being a reaction necessarily to anything in particular? I just want those stomach aches to stay away long enough for me to find out. I could try something now but i'm sick either from gluten or a virus of some kind right now.

Archived