15 replies to this topic

#1 jebby

jebby

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:27 AM

I have recently went off of dairy and cannot tolerate soy, so I am looking for a milk substitute. I recently got glutened from Almond Breeze Almond Milk which was labeled as gluten free (I am pretty sensitive to cross contamination and found out after the fact that the product is milled through barley during processing). Have any of you been able to drink Silk Almond Milk without getting sick. It looks "safe" but I am scared to try it. Thank you!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 sora

sora

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:10 PM

I have recently went off of dairy and cannot tolerate soy, so I am looking for a milk substitute. I recently got glutened from Almond Breeze Almond Milk which was labeled as gluten free (I am pretty sensitive to cross contamination and found out after the fact that the product is milled through barley during processing). Have any of you been able to drink Silk Almond Milk without getting sick. It looks "safe" but I am scared to try it. Thank you!

I just bought this last week. So far no problems.

I switched from Almond breeze because it has Caregeenan (sp) in it and I seem to react to that.

Wheat Allergy

Chemical (scent) Allergy

Ah, but I was so much older then, Im younger than that now.

#3 jessthirtytwo

jessthirtytwo

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:43 PM

ive been drinking silk almond milk for maybe a year now. never had a problem with it, i love it!

#4 jebby

jebby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

Thanks Jess and Sora. I've also been on the Silk Almond milk for about 2 weeks without any problems. It has guar gum, but I am choosing that over the carrageenan which is in all of the other almond milks. I appreciate your advice! J

#5 Kelleybean

Kelleybean

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

We use Almond Breeze and Silk (whichever is on sale) with no apparent problems. But my son did appear to have a reaction to Rice Dream's rice milk. In case you are interested, super easy to make your own. Just blanch the almonds, slide off the skin, and do a 4:1 ratio almonds to water ratio in a good blender, then put through a nut milk bag. I like to add a little sweetener.

#6 MJ_S

MJ_S

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:51 PM

Where did you hear about Almond Breeze being milled through barley? What kind of evidence do you have?
I have never heard this, and all their products are gluten free per their website. I'm very sensitive and have no issues with Almond Breeze almond milk.
I have, however, reacted to Pacific, which also produces a gluten-containing multigrain milk on shared lines.

Blood Tests: TTG IgA Negative / Total IGA Normal

Skin: Confirmed DH
Genetic: DQ8 & DQ6 Positive (DQA1*0301, DQB1*0302, DQA1*0103, DQB1*0603)
Free Of: Gluten 1/1/11, Dairy 2010, Soy 2011

#7 cavernio

cavernio

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:40 PM

Yes please at least give us where you got the info about almond breeze being milled through milk. That's what I drink and use for a milk substitute. I think I have it every day. I'm not saying this because I automatically think it's safe, I honestly want to know where/how you heard that for my own safety.
diagnosed Jan 2012, bloodwork only
June 2012 positive visual of celiac disease from gastroscopy

#8 jebby

jebby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:40 AM

Hi guys, just seeing this now...and I realize that I made a huge mistake in my initial post. I did NOT react to Almond Breeze, it was Almond Dream which, after the fact, through searching for other threads, learned is made one shared equipment with Rice Dream which is milled through barley. I wrote this post during a very bad period of brain fog!

I am very sorry for making this mistake in my initial post Cavernio,, chamomilelover, and all future readers.

To clarify, Almond Breeze is gluten free and should be safe for us. Silk almond milk is also gluten free.

#9 MJ_S

MJ_S

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:21 PM

:) We've all been there! Thanks for the post and hope you're feeling better!

Blood Tests: TTG IgA Negative / Total IGA Normal

Skin: Confirmed DH
Genetic: DQ8 & DQ6 Positive (DQA1*0301, DQB1*0302, DQA1*0103, DQB1*0603)
Free Of: Gluten 1/1/11, Dairy 2010, Soy 2011

#10 anonymous_123

anonymous_123

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:58 AM

i bought the silk almond milk and it didn't really agree with me for some reason, maybe it is one of the ingredients that bothered me.

#11 julissa

julissa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:33 AM

I get the unsweetened Silk Almond Milk. slowly my family switched over to it too on their own. it makes the best smoothies with fresh or frozen fruit.

#12 cavernio

cavernio

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:31 AM

Phew!
diagnosed Jan 2012, bloodwork only
June 2012 positive visual of celiac disease from gastroscopy

#13 Suebell

Suebell

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:53 AM

I have a wheat allergy tried Silk Almond Milk today for the first time and broke out in a rash!

#14 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 12:15 PM

I have a wheat allergy tried Silk Almond Milk today for the first time and broke out in a rash!

Silk Almond milk is not processed in a facility with wheat. I drank a lot of it for a month while doing a dairy free challenge for my arthritis.

Are you bothered by soy?
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#15 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,927 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 02:54 PM

We  have  used  both  almond  breeze  &  silk  almond  milk...no problems  with  either  but  we  really like the  taste  of  Silk  almond  milk  better...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: