26 replies to this topic

#1 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:02 PM

For those who insisted that there be pics, they will follow I promise! I'm waiting for a call from the photo place. Stupid hour. <_<

So, last night I somehow managed to actually fall asleep. Sometime around 2 I think! I was beginning to be afraid I would be too tired to live through today. My alarm went off at 7 this morning and I bounced out of bed. I bounced to the bathroom and back to the bedroom. By then my husband was semi-vertical. I waited a moment then grabbed him and squealed "IT'S GIRAFFE DAY!!!" He seemed a little less than enthusiastic. :lol: I was so bubbly I was actually making myself nauseous. I don't do mornings.

I skipped breakfast because it is usually an hour or two until my stomach agrees with me enough to want to be fed. I more or less bounced around the house, having gotten everything ready to go last night. I had a checklist and simply had to verify it and put my refrigerated foods into the backpack. Finally we were off and only got lost once on the way there. :ph34r: Thankfully I planned "get lost" time into the schedule and we had 20 minutes to browse around the gift shop before heading down to animals.

I was thrilled the weather was cooperating. It is sunny today and only got down to about 0 or maybe -5 last night. (That is Fahrenheit, not Celsius so freaking cold, especially for Utah but it could be worse.) It is supposed to get up to 26 today but was only about 15 or so by the time we left the zoo. Whatever. He was complaining the whole time about how he was cold. I was warm from the inside out. ^_^ Anywho... we waited in the gift shop because it has heat. :lol: It was still only about 5 when we got there.

Finally, it was time. We headed down to the giraffe building. We got there and walked in and there they were... three beautiful tall blondes and a brand new baby girl. One is shy and doesn't come up for strangers to feed, but I fed the other two ladies lettuce. I talked to their person about the giraffes. Then we did some of what they do for training, how they move the giraffes around. To reward them, they give them bread. Normally in any other circumstance I would have balked. Bread? Giraffes? Bring it on! I just won't kiss the giraffes or lick myself. Then finally.... I... I touched them and petted them.

When I was 3 my mother took me to the zoo for the first time. I fell in love that day. I'm 35 today. That moment I touched her was so incredibly magical I can't describe it. It sounds stupid probably, but it was just amazing. I even cried a little because of how insanely happy it made me. I waited 30 years for this, and it was so much more amazing than I dreamed.

I'll stop blathering now. The photo people called and I can go get my pics! YAY!!! (I was gonna get a few of the elephants, but it is so cold they won't come out. Sorry. :()

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:15 PM

I'm glad it was magical, Addy. :) Bring on the pics!
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

I just filled up with tears for you--at the sheer joy in your words!!

Yaaay!!

Does not sound stupid to me at all. I expect to bawl like a baby when I swim with dolphins in March.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#4 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

What a wonderfully planned day for you! Happy Birthday! And I'm so happy that it turned out the way that you had hoped!

#5 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:50 PM

Swimming with dolphins sounds like fun. (For other people, I have this really bizarre thing about water on my face.) Dolphins are cool!

So, we couldn't really use the flash in because they were a little skittish and it was more important that it was fun than to get awesome pictures. But they aren't awful.

So. Feeding the giraffe:
Posted Image

Petting the giraffe:
Posted Image

With the wireframe leftover from ZooLights for the holidays: (so I take dorky pictures and wear pink sneakers and a giraffe hat... so?)
Posted Image

My souvenir:
Posted Image

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#6 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:58 PM

Love it!

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#7 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:24 PM

FANTASTIC pics!....great hat !!!! and you're gorgeous. Glad you had such a stellar day!!! ;).

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#8 sora

sora

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:38 PM

Wow! So amazing for you. What did the giraffe feel like? Soft or wiry ?
Great pics!

Wheat Allergy

Chemical (scent) Allergy

Ah, but I was so much older then, Im younger than that now.

#9 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:56 PM

WONDERFUL!! I'm so glad you had this opportunity! I wish I had had someone take pics of me and my baby elephant, but I know just how you feel. I's SO happy for you!

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#10 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

Yay! So glad you had a great day playing with the giraffes :)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#11 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

Does not sound stupid to me at all. I expect to bawl like a baby when I swim with dolphins in March.

Really and truly? That would be AWESOME!!!
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#12 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

It is so great that you had such a fabulous day. You deserve it! And you are one cute girl. :P I understand your passion for giraffes. I am that way with a few things but the most recent is at a klapa concert in Croatia where I got to meet the (a capella) singers after (unplanned - this group is BIG and they were not announced to perform). The group came out and I shot out of my seat, tears trickling down my cheeks and shaking like a leaf. My husband was beaming at my happiness. My smile must have literally reached to both ears, down to my (flat) chest and up to my nose I was so thrilled and surprised.

Thanks for sharing your day with your celiac family! :)
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#13 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

Whose dolphins are you going to swim with, IH? The Hawaiians? The Kiwis? Obviously there must be some warm water involved somewhere?
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#14 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:27 PM

It's on my "Things I have put off or had to stop doing because I was very sick and now I am not and I ain't gettin' any younger so I'm doing it!"
Bucket list.

Long title for those THINGERS, eh?

Once a month, I am doing something NEW or RENEWING something I lost. I started last March 2012 with our trip to Florida and I intend to continue doing these things on that list for the rest of my life. :)

The first dolphins I will play with--are in Key Largo. but never, ever count me out for your part of the world, Shroom. I have to renew my passport (on the list)

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#15 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

It's on my "Things I have put off or had to stop doing because I was very sick and now I am not and I ain't gettin' any younger so I'm doing it!"
Bucket list.

Long title for those THINGERS, eh?

Once a month, I am doing something NEW or RENEWING something I lost. I started last March 2012 with our trip to Florida and I intend to continue doing these things on that list for the rest of my life. :)

How lovely, Irish. Man, I may have to take on that project myself. My husband and I have a very exciting life but to do something new/renewing something lost monthly is fantastic. There are so many thingers on my bucket list, too. And many are...ready for this?...food related! Shocking, I know. ^_^

Swimming with dolphins would be up my alley (I love the water and animals). When in March are you going? That is my birthday month so if you are there during my birthday you must give each of the dolphins either a big sloppy kiss OR a gigantic squish from me. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: