Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Some Things Are Worth Waiting For

27 posts in this topic

That 'special thing' for me is butterflies- there's a fantastic butterfly conservatory an hour

and a half from me, and when I get really bad from all the stress in my life I go spend a day

there. It's also really nice in the winter because it's 85 and humid in there for the butter

flies, so it's a nice break from the winter weather!

Butterflies are cool too. I don't see many wild ones in the city here in Utah, but I always notice them if they're around. There is something special about them, you just have to stop and watch them for a moment before carrying on with your day. I've never been to a conservatory but I'll bet it is just wonderful.

Swimming with dolphins again is on my list too .... they do it at sea world here, but I prefer them in the ocean -- on a very lucky day they come to play with you in our waves.

One helped me find the surface when I was trapped in "the washing machine" of big surf while body surfing as a young teen and once a small family played around me while kayaking --- me heat weirdness has kept me off the beach for the last ten or so summers - but I'll be back at some point.

Wild animals are far cooler. I want to pet a wild giraffe, but Giraffe Manor is extremely expensive by itself, not to mention the trip to Africa or trying to be gluten-free at a B&B in the middle of nowhere. I will go one day, mark my words, I will go. And I will pet a wild giraffe out my bedroom window as I wake up, and as I eat breakfast. Any other attempt at wild giraffes outside that manor would probably lead to being kicked in the face and being mildly dead... after all they can kill lions. I'm obsessed, not stupid. (Not usually.... okay okay... not always.)

I always giggle a little at your "heat weirdness." I'm not laughing at you, just the way you put it. I don't do well in the heat, and I say it just like that. "Do you want to go to the Festival of Color down at the temple?" "Sorry, I don't do well in the heat." One day... one day I'll make it down there. They have llamas! Also, by the time you are showing up 2-3 hours early you have a several mile hike, that is how many people go.

Ads by Google:

My "heat weirdness" includes anaphalaxis and hives and swelling up like "violet" it is quite strange for others around me when it happens.

I got rewarded for telling my dolphin stories this morning - son and I got to see a pair frolicking in the surf near the cabrillo tidepools :D

That trip to Africa sounds like another great birthday plan to me!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Hi, No, I do not have celiac  disease. I have an ankylosing spondylitis which is an auto-immune disease provoking an inflammation of the joints. Under the advice and supervision of my doctor and the professor at the hospital I follow a gluten free & casein free diet, which is extremely successful in preventing inflammatory events. And I've been doing so, strictly, for more than 6 years. So I'm not Celiac, but I can tell you that I react strongly every time I take gluten even in small amounts. Even soya sauce, which according to this website has an almost zero dose of gluten, is a lot too much for me. Nevertheless I allow myself to eat food which has been processed in a factory which processes gluten. To conclude, I would say that when you are travelling, especially in a country where celiac disease is scarcely known, you should be twice as careful as when you're going out at home. In the end you can never guarantee that the cook has cleaned his pan after using soya sauce and so on... You can only bet
    • Along those lines, many Americans are now pursuing gluten-free eating. Gluten ... Diagnosis of celiac disease typically requires a history and physical ... View the full article
    • No!  Once you fill the tub, if you sit in it for 3 minutes or you stay for 10... It doesn't change the amount or cost of the water.  That's only relevant if you have 3 kids to cycle thru that same water.  Is your hub bathing in the same water after you? Lol  And even if you add some more hot and stay longer....well...it's much cheaper than perscription meds, vodka or a substance that is legal in a few states.     Of course this only pertains to those of use with running water.... If you make your hub haul water from the creek or well and heat it over a fire....
    • Whether it is bona fide dermatitis herpetiformis, or severe eczema or hives or what have you, we all want to know how to stop the incessant itching.  Through all my research, the solution comes down to one thing: a good long soak in the tub-- with baking soda or Epsom salts or some kind of herbal tea, followed by a rub down in thick expensive lotion.  I don't know about you, but I was brought up to "get in, get done get out."  A long soak in the bath was a frivolous luxury, and a waste of time and hot water.  So now I'm having this awful breakout from forgetting to read a label and got wheated.  And every night I've been soaking in a baking soda bath to relieve the itching and aid my recovery.  And it's been hard! (But it's been very helpful too)  It has been hard to reconcile this "frivolous luxury and waste of time" as medically necessary!  Fortunately I've had no judging, and only support from my husband, who has had a similar upbringing.  Does anyone else struggle with this?
    • His son, Eli, had been misdiagnosed with celiac disease, so the family tried some gluten-free foods. After adding quinoa (KEEN-wah) to their diet, ... View the full article
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    cdliac3855