#1 CaliSparrow

CaliSparrow

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:23 PM

Hey folks,

This gluten-free journey started for me in October and it's been quite the roller coaster ride. I am going to see a gastroenterologist who specializes in Celiac on 1/15. I believe it would be prudent to genetic test first since Celiac can be ruled out with the genetic test and then I could consider it a wheat intolerance. Any advice there?

Also, I've been eating gluten for a week now. It's tough to go through. Any advice on how much gluten I need to eat? My appetite is suffering.

I'd love to know your different applications for self-care as well. My body is hurting pretty good.

Any advice you all can give would be most appreciative. There are plenty of people who are telling me there's no need to go through with it. I need to hear from the other side.

Thanks, Cali
Last glutening: 12/28/13 (long time FOR ME!)
April 2014: no more reintroducing foods, not rocking the boat, no studying (except during insomnia)
March 2014: Reintroducing intolerant foods. Yolks & banana are a "no". Dairy NO
Year 2: Mental clarity improving. Hello to normalcy.
October 2013: Functional Medicine doc ref to cardiologist for possible sick sinus syndrome (deadline May)
September 2013: 55+ food intolerances, mercury poisoning, sIgA 50, leaky gut, adrenal fatigue, hormone disruption, ferritin 7, low Vit D, low Vit B6
January2013: Dairy-Free, Soy-free
November 2012: Gluten-Free
Year 1: Migraines resolved, OCD diminished, Change in skin texture, EyeBrows lifting & eyes bigger, Better memory, Better cognitive function, Better problem-solving capabilities, Lower anxiety level, Better outlook, Arrhythmia reduced, hope

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 CaliSparrow

CaliSparrow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:21 PM

NEVERMIND.

My husband just threw a fit about me being on gluten because he sees such a difference. He thinks there are more pitfalls in seeking answers through the medical community than in being resolute about staying gluten-free and watching my health improve despite the doctors.

Today begins my first day back on the gluten-free journey. I am looking forward to not wanting to hang myself.

Officially self-confirmed celiac.
April 2014: no more reintroducing foods, not rocking the boat, no studying (except during insomnia)
October 2013: Functional Medicine doc ref to cardiologist for possible sick sinus syndrome (deadline May)
September 2013: 55+ food intolerances, mercury poisoning, sIgA 50, leaky gut, adrenal fatigue, hormone disruption, ferritin 7, low Vit D, low Vit B6
Year 1: Migraines resolved, OCD diminished, Change in skin texture, EyeBrows lifting & eyes bigger, Better memory, Better cognitive function, Better problem-solving capabilities, Lower anxiety level, Better outlook, Arrhythmia reduced, hope

#3 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,511 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

Hope you continue to improve on the gluten-free diet... and welcome to the club.
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:15 PM

A genetic test can't really rule celiac out since there are other genes associated with celiac than the two commonly accepted genes; and it certainly cannot rule it in, so will do nothing to resolve the issue. I think your husband is probably right' You can mess around with doctors forever but if you are improving gluten free enough for him to notice it would seem you are on the right track. In the end, only you can decide whether a formal diagnosis is necesary for you, though and whether you are prepared to go through what it takes to get it. :)
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 CaliSparrow

CaliSparrow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:28 AM

It baffles me that before 1960, doctors diagnosed celiac by eliminating gluten from someone's diet, reintroducing it and noting a reaction. Now, everyone has to go through a myriad of tests which may be inconclusive.

Thanks for the correcting my misunderstanding of the genetic test. I would have been very bummed finding this out after the fact.

My heart goes out to everyone going through this process.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: