12 replies to this topic

#1 KikiB

KikiB

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

Well I already know that soy makes me sick. I have really been trying to talk myself into the fact that soy lecithin won't bother me.

Wrong. Maybe I can get away with one Sees bordeaux. Although now I'm scared. But that's it. I got a box for Christmas. I apparently can't do 3 one day, and 2 the next day without paying the price for over 24 hours. It felt just like being glutened. Nausea, severe fatigue and muscle weakness.

Will this ever go away? Will the soy intolerance go away? Soy is in flipping everything. I can't find a salad dressing that does not have soy in it. And now I'm supposed to give up See's bordeaux to this stupid disease?

Ugh.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:49 PM

Soy overall, probably not; soy lecithin, maybe. I can do it now. But that's after four years or so.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 KikiB

KikiB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:11 PM

Soy overall, probably not; soy lecithin, maybe. I can do it now. But that's after four years or so.

Well that's better than nothing! I'll take it.

#4 seashele2

seashele2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

Since my diagnosis 8 1/2 years ago and going gluten-free, I have had to take one food after another out of my diet: corn (which causes me gluten reactions/damage), dairy, soy, beef, pork, sulfites (onions, garlic, brussel sprouts, cabbage, and a hundred others). I can only do very few things with soy lecithin in them. I think it has to do with how the particular soy lecithin is made and if the soy proteins have truly been "processed out." I think my problems all come back to leaky gut so this year, my plan is to go on the extremely limited diet to try to heal it. Hopefully, someday I'll be able to eat like a semi-normal person again. Gluten-free wouldn't be so bad if I could eat all the other things that keep coming out of my safe foods.

#5 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:49 PM

It could go away. It did for my daughter but... Now she has a thyroid problem so still has to avoid soy.

#6 KikiB

KikiB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:35 AM

It could go away. It did for my daughter but... Now she has a thyroid problem so still has to avoid soy.

Before the thyroid problem, her soy issue went away? Or just soy lecithin?

#7 alex11602

alex11602

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:20 AM

It took my daughter a year to get all soy back, it may have been sooner but I waited to try it with her since she is young.

#8 ButterflyChaser

ButterflyChaser

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:21 AM

Hi Kiki, soy lechitin gives me heart problems (extrasystoles). I also avoid it because of my thyroid disorders, and I am currently making my own pretty much anything. Have you tried looking up recipes to make your own salad dressings et cetera? I never use dressings, but I am pretty sure it can't be impossible to make?
Hashimoto's thyroiditis and Grave's disease (2011). It must have been a Black Friday.
Intestinal dysbiosis. Suspected damage to my vili (2012). NCGS according to my dermatologist upon seeing my post-wheat rash.

Gluten-free. Sept 2012.
Canola, almonds, soy = evil.

Grain-free, legume-free. December 2012.
No peanuts and tree nuts. February 2013.
Erb-Duchenne palsy from birth trauma.

My body is trying to kill me.

#9 Pegleg84

Pegleg84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:06 AM

Soy is now officially my worst enemy.
I also like to think that a little soy lectin won't hurt me. And probably a very little of it won't. Like, 2 chocolate chips or something. Maybe.
More than the tiniest bit send my head spinning in minutes. It's not worth the risk.

You can indeed get things without it, though it takes serious hunting, and shelling out more. Get organic dark chocolate, usually the darker the better. Check your local organics store to see what they have. I think some of the Green & Blacks chocolate is ok.
Enjoy Life and Camino dark chocolate chips are soy free.
Salad dressings - get something vinegar based. Again with the organic. Though I just found some vegan and soy-free "cream" dressings. Can't remember the name. Uses a lot of coconut instead. I got the ranch. It's runny, but not bad.
Ask at your local store and maybe they can help. Making your own is also a good idea.
Oh! and soy-sauce substitute: Coconut Aminos. It's made from coconut sap, is a bit sweeter than tamari, but it does the trick.

For me the effects of soy are worse than dairy and, for immediate reaction, almost worse than gluten. It suuucks!

Good luck.

~ Be a light unto yourself. ~ - The Buddha

- Gluten-free since March 2009 (not officially diagnosed, but most likely Celiac). Symptoms have greatly improved or disappeared since.
- Soy intolerant. Dairy free (likely casein intolerant). Problems with eggs, quinoa, brown rice

- mild gastritis seen on endoscopy Oct 2012. Not sure if healed or not.
- Family members with Celiac: Mother, sister, aunt on mother's side, aunt and uncle on father's side, more being diagnosed every year.

#10 KikiB

KikiB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:57 AM

Hi Kiki, soy lechitin gives me heart problems (extrasystoles). I also avoid it because of my thyroid disorders, and I am currently making my own pretty much anything. Have you tried looking up recipes to make your own salad dressings et cetera? I never use dressings, but I am pretty sure it can't be impossible to make?

I found a recipe for easy mayo -- so I will try that this weekend. And I found a ranch dressing recipe I will try. :)

Soy is now officially my worst enemy.
I also like to think that a little soy lectin won't hurt me. And probably a very little of it won't. Like, 2 chocolate chips or something. Maybe.
More than the tiniest bit send my head spinning in minutes. It's not worth the risk.

You can indeed get things without it, though it takes serious hunting, and shelling out more. Get organic dark chocolate, usually the darker the better. Check your local organics store to see what they have. I think some of the Green & Blacks chocolate is ok.
Enjoy Life and Camino dark chocolate chips are soy free.
Salad dressings - get something vinegar based. Again with the organic. Though I just found some vegan and soy-free "cream" dressings. Can't remember the name. Uses a lot of coconut instead. I got the ranch. It's runny, but not bad.
Ask at your local store and maybe they can help. Making your own is also a good idea.
Oh! and soy-sauce substitute: Coconut Aminos. It's made from coconut sap, is a bit sweeter than tamari, but it does the trick.

For me the effects of soy are worse than dairy and, for immediate reaction, almost worse than gluten. It suuucks!

Good luck.

Thanks for the tips! I only like milk chocolate, but I can probably live without it. It's just disappointing. I really don't understand why soy is in nearly everything these days.

#11 Pegleg84

Pegleg84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:24 AM

If you're ok with milk, then there is probably some soy-free milk chocolate out there too.
(If you're ok with milk, then I'm jealous. I miss cheese so much!)

Good luck!

- Gluten-free since March 2009 (not officially diagnosed, but most likely Celiac). Symptoms have greatly improved or disappeared since.
- Soy intolerant. Dairy free (likely casein intolerant). Problems with eggs, quinoa, brown rice

- Family members with Celiac: Mother, sister, aunt on mother's side, aunt and uncle on father's side, more being diagnosed every year.

#12 Findin my way

Findin my way

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:41 AM

Pegleg84 thank you so much for this. I've finally accepted that I can't have soy anymore, but I love stirfrys. My daughter has decided she's vegetarian now, so stir frys were my go to meal. I'd do tofu for her and meat for her dad and I. I was wondering how this was going to work. I'm going to look for the coconut aminos today. :)

(If you're ok with milk, then I'm jealous. I miss cheese so much!)

Amen to that! I can deal with giving up milk, yogurt, and ice-cream, but cheese?!? That one is so difficult. And sorry to all you vegans out there, but that vegan cheese is NOT the same.

#13 Pegleg84

Pegleg84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:09 AM

Look at a good natural foods store, or ask if they can get it. It's a bit pricy, but it's worth it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: