Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Soy Sauce Flavor Alternative Suggestions?

• Please log in to reply

17 replies to this topic

#16 Cookingpapa

Cookingpapa

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:06 PM

I can't have soy at the moment, but miss the flavor of gluten-free soy sauce for stir fry.

I added a couple of shredded anchovies today, which was quite good, but wondered if anyone has a favorite alternative?

Hi Mindwarp,

I bought coconut aminos which looks and tastes like soy. I found it when I was looking for coconut sugar which is supposedly low glycemic (I'm pre diabetic). It tastes pretty good and is made from fermented coconut sap. Hopefully you're not allergic to coconut.

There's also another thing called "black bean soy sauce" but it's more difficult to find. I couldn't find it online and have to trek to an asian grocery store to find it. It's worth having a bottle if you like stir frys. They use rice flour to thicken it, so it gives your stir frys a nice glaze if you use it.

I'm not gluten intolerant, but my wife is. I joined this blog because I do all the cooking at home and need to be educated so I don't hurt my family.
I'm always looking for recipe ideas and ways to cook and eat healthy. And while I'm not on a tight budget, I have been finding gluten free grocery shopping quite expensive, so all ideas are welcome!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:34 AM

Thank you! I have had the coconut aminos recommended, must try :)

Black bean is a great idea, and widely available in the uk. I love it. I stir fry most days!
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#18 Cookingpapa

Cookingpapa

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:36 PM

" I stir fry most days!"

Me too. One of the ways I get my 4 yr old son to eat veggies. I still have  load the fork myself a couple of times... with the veggies under the rice so he will eat it.

I'm not gluten intolerant, but my wife is. I joined this blog because I do all the cooking at home and need to be educated so I don't hurt my family.
I'm always looking for recipe ideas and ways to cook and eat healthy. And while I'm not on a tight budget, I have been finding gluten free grocery shopping quite expensive, so all ideas are welcome!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: