35 replies to this topic

#16 Gemini

Gemini

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:54 PM

I just LOVE this book!!!! Dr Davis is a Saint ! A Saviour !!! I read the book last August and started Sept. I lost 10 kg before Christmas without any effort at all... and this in itself was amazing as I had no hunger, and at not stage felt deprived AND I did not increase exercise and in fact decreased it... I had ONE meal with sugar over Christmas and felt instantly ill again and it took a week for the fatigue to wear off.

I am definately a Wheat Bellyer ! As the book explains - stopping wheat ( as it is so unhealthy ) and eating substitute gluten-free carbs like rice flour , tapioca flour and potato starch is then WORSE. Sky high triglycerides etc, artrial plaque, inflammation markers for Diabetes, Heart Disease, RA, etc etc all increase. The gluten-free commercial food diet is very unhealthy..

Someone asked why a cardiologist is writing a book about food. Well - he put his patients on this diet for them to reduce their heart attack risks. It reduces Hb1AC, Blood Glucose, Tricylerides and the nasty small LDL particles... Along the way he discovered that people would bounce into his next appt - feeling the best they had felt in 20 years, off NSAIDs, off statins, off BP meds etc etc and ..... 20, 50, 100 pounds lighter without even trying ! He knew he had to get the message out to the world.

Wheat free if for everyone. Grain free. Low sugar. Only exception is young growing children who can need a slightly higher carb count for the day. But not wheat :) Wheat is worse than a bowl of jelly beans. Commercial gluten-free carbs are worse than a bowl of jelly beans. People have to stop living on jelly beans !

I now have lost 15 kg ( 33 pounds ) feel and look 10 years younger and have people stopping and asking me what I have done. The traditional gluten-free diet was killing me. We now eat like Kings , save money at the Store and will be a normal weight again ! I am already down 3 sizes. My stubborn hard to shift for last 5 years weight has just melted off. Hubbie started before me and has lost 80 pounds total and is at goal weight. I have Thyroid issues and have had to change thyroid meds again and I am on cortisone but none the less... the weight keeps coming off, my skin and hair are glowing and I feel so energised ! I nearly had total knee replacement 2 years ago and spent 4 months on crutches... now I have barely any pain!! :)

Georgie....most people with cardiac issues were put on the Atkins Diet years and years ago and did well because many people with cardiac problems are overweight so cutting out the carbs will make you lose weight. Simple enough logic.
Cut out the simple sugars and eat healthier and you'll be healthier. They also used that diet for quick weight loss to prepare them for surgery. As the gluten-free diet resembles the Atkins diet in many ways, people now think the gluten-free diet is a weight loss diet...and it can be when you cut out the crappy food. Anyone will lose weight if they cut out the crap food.

I do not think everyone has to cut out eating wheat...that's a very generalized statement to make. Not everyone has a wheat problem. I also don't think you need to completely cut out gluten-free goodies. These are supposed to be a treat and not to be eaten on a regular basis. Moderation is the key but people have forgotten what that means. If you feel better eating no grains or sugar, that's fantastic but that might indicate you have a blood sugar problem to begin with.
I follow a strict gluten-free diet, which includes some treats and the sugar does not bother me in the least as I exercise to work it off. There is a balance and that balance is going to be different for many people.

I think any doctor who makes the statement that Celiac is not a disease is far from a saint. That's plain ignorance on his part. I wouldn't spend the money on his book because there are far more reputable people who write accurate books on Celiac.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 lindalee

lindalee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

Hi Georgie,
I am so glad you are doing well and I do agree with the dr. that gluten does damage the heart. I received something this week that I have tried to copy to you all--( could not figure out the wayy to do it) --basically the article was saying that the Roman soldiers punished their soldiers by depriving them of wheat. It stated how the wheat is so addictive that it causes withdrawals similar to herion and cocaine withdrawal.

The SCD'ers will agree about the sugar. I ate an overload of Sugar at Christmas and was quite under the weather with gluten like symptoms- I'm sure it put my resistance down.

Mamaw, I am getting back and looking forward to seeing what everyone has been up to! Hope you are well!
Lee

#18 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:46 PM

--basically the article was saying that the Roman soldiers punished their soldiers by depriving them of wheat. It stated how the wheat is so addictive that it causes withdrawals similar to herion and cocaine withdrawal.

Now, that is an article I would love to see!! :)Please post it or give a reference link.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#19 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:07 PM

Now, that is an article I would love to see!! :)Please post it or give a reference link.

http://www.greenmedi...erance-sayer-ji

An interesting example of wheat’s addictive potential pertains to the Roman army. The Roman Empire was once known as the "Wheat Empire," with soldiers being paid in wheat rations. Rome’s entire war machine, and its vast expansion, was predicated on the availability of wheat. Forts were actually granaries, holding up to a year’s worth of grain in order to endure sieges from their enemies. Historians describe soldiers’ punishment included being deprived of wheat rations and being given barley instead. The Roman Empire went on to facilitate the global dissemination of wheat cultivation which fostered a form of imperialism with biological as well as cultural roots.

http://www.roman-emp...y/becoming.html

To deprive the soldiers' of frumentum and give them something else instead was seen as a punishment.
When Caesar in Gaul struggled to keep his troops fed on wheat alone, and had to substitute their diet with barley, beans and meat, the troops grew discontented. It was only their fides, their loyalty , to the great Caesar which made them eat what they were given.
For just as with their attitudes toward their nightly encampment, the Romans saw the food they ate as soldiers as a symbol which set them apart from barbarians. If barbarians filled their bellies with meat and alcohol before battle, then the Romans kept to their stark rations. They had discipline, inner strength. To deny them their frumentum was to think of them as barbarians.

Good to see you again lindalee! Welcome back.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#20 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:42 PM

"An army marches on its stomach." Was it Napoleon Bonaparte, or....

http://www.electroth...l_editorial.pdf
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#21 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,145 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:55 PM

A Crockpot I don't have? I must procure one!

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#22 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:07 PM

The day is coming :ph34r: when we will all need to be able to eat MRE's on demand!!!
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#23 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:39 PM

Thank you, Lisa. There are articles that seem to dispute the author's claims, but I found the article very interesting!

An Army marches on its..... wheat belly?

this would bring your number up to....???

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#24 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,145 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:30 PM

Thank you, Lisa. There are articles that seem to dispute the author's claims, but I found the article very interesting!

An Army marches on its..... wheat belly?

this would bring your number up to....???

I only have 4 - a 6 qt, a 4 qt, a mini, a lunch crock. I don't have the 3 attached for buffet one. The way the men at my house eat, I could use a really big one!

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#25 lindalee

lindalee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:59 AM

www.facebook.com/theglutenfreespouse
this is where I saw the information about the punishment of the Roman soldiers- it was entered on 9/28/12
Lee

#26 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:36 AM

www.facebook.com/theglutenfreespouse
this is where I saw the information about the punishment of the Roman soldiers- it was entered on 9/28/12

Thanks so much, Lindalee! :)

I did read it last night as well as other articles on Roman troops and wheat rations and I saw that this author Sayer Ji, concluded the soldiers were deprived of their wheat rations which made them "irritable" because of withdrawal symptoms. This is based on no historical evidence. He uses the more current gluten opiod receptor research as his basis for this assertion. That's a pretty big leap..

Historians believe the troops viewed this deprivation as punishment because barley was an inferior grain and that the barbarians they fought against did not consume wheat and wine--but rather, alcohol and meat--(because they were also considered inferior) and they became disgruntled as a result.
It was a humiliation tactic.

"One way to ensure discipline was the system of punishments. These could be corporal (flogging, barley rations instead of wheat), pecuniary, demotion, execution, decimation, and disbandment. Decimation meant one in 10 soldiers in a cohort was killed by the rest of the men in the cohort by clubbing or stoning (bastinado or fustuarium). Disbandment was probably used for mutiny by a legion" --N.S Gill .

I am not sure the author's conclusions that they "had w/d symptoms from the grain" is necessarily valid. If gluten is what contains the opiod, (the feel good /additive qualities) then the barley would have kept them reasonably "happy"---physically anyway. They would feel humiliated that they were not given the honored wheat ration as proper payment.

The author writes quite a bit about wheat and draws the same conclusions as Dr. Davis.
"Wheat is evil and is not a healthy grain for anyone".
While they may well be right, it does not justify Davis' "celiac is not a real disease".

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#27 georgie

georgie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

Where on earth did you find Dr Davis say that ???? Please - READ the book and do not misquote. At no stage does he say ANYTHING like that. But he does say that the worst critics come from the Celiacs who fail to see that no one should be eating wheat. ( and grains ) . Lose the wheat and regain your health applies to everyone... not just people with the autoimmune disease.

The author writes quite a bit about wheat and draws the same conclusions as Dr. Davis.
"Wheat is evil and is not a healthy grain for anyone".
While they may well be right, it does not justify Davis' "celiac is not a real disease".

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.
Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.
Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.
Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.
Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.
News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !
Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

#28 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:55 AM

Where on earth did you find Dr Davis say that ???? Please - READ the book and do not misquote. At no stage does he say ANYTHING like that. But he does say that the worst critics come from the Celiacs who fail to see that no one should be eating wheat. ( and grains ) . Lose the wheat and regain your health applies to everyone... not just people with the autoimmune disease.

I was not directly quoting him. If I were, I would have cited the page.

I used "italics" around my summation of what both these writers seem to be saying. Read what I said in its entirety.

And I happen to be one of the celiacs who believe that wheat IS a problem for people who are not celiacs and who are gluten intolerant, but I do not think that EVERYONE in the world needs to dump wheat and ALL grains from their diets. Many people tolerate whole grains just fine.

And I have a big problem with this man saying "celiac is not a disease" -now, that's a direct quote--- and his bashing of the celiac researchers .

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#29 georgie

georgie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:11 AM

Where on earth does the Dr say Celiac is not a disease ? Huh? The book is full of references to the autoimune disease Celiac. Have you read the book ? Atkins was a great diet but where it lets people dow is the fact that it allows whole grain wheat back into the diet in small quantities. Even that is enough to cause the opiate like addiction to continue and the inflammation effects. I did Atkins years ago and did well for a while but it was always tough to keep the weight off and stay on the Diet. Wheat Belly is not like that... as the trigger food is eliminated 100%.

I agree that most gluten-free commercial food is crap food. But so many people think it is healthier or safe food to eat. Dr Davis explains how gluten-free flours like rice flour, tapioca flour and potato flour spike the Blood Sugar worse than wheat. And lets not even think about how bad fruit is too. How many "healthy' diet plans let you eat all the fruit you like - and increase your Blood Sugar by fructose instead ! Same could be said for Paleo type diets.

Eat healthy and you get healthy. Great idea and that is what Wheat Belly is. Great way to eat and so easy once the trigger foods are explained.

Georgie....most people with cardiac issues were put on the Atkins Diet years and years ago and did well because many people with cardiac problems are overweight so cutting out the carbs will make you lose weight. Simple enough logic.
Cut out the simple sugars and eat healthier and you'll be healthier. They also used that diet for quick weight loss to prepare them for surgery. As the gluten-free diet resembles the Atkins diet in many ways, people now think the gluten-free diet is a weight loss diet...and it can be when you cut out the crappy food. Anyone will lose weight if they cut out the crap food.

I do not think everyone has to cut out eating wheat...that's a very generalized statement to make. Not everyone has a wheat problem. I also don't think you need to completely cut out gluten-free goodies. These are supposed to be a treat and not to be eaten on a regular basis. Moderation is the key but people have forgotten what that means. If you feel better eating no grains or sugar, that's fantastic but that might indicate you have a blood sugar problem to begin with.
I follow a strict gluten-free diet, which includes some treats and the sugar does not bother me in the least as I exercise to work it off. There is a balance and that balance is going to be different for many people.

I think any doctor who makes the statement that Celiac is not a disease is far from a saint. That's plain ignorance on his part. I wouldn't spend the money on his book because there are far more reputable people who write accurate books on Celiac.

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.
Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.
Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.
Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.
Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

#30 georgie

georgie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:14 AM

I think you badly need to read the book to understand it...

I was not directly quoting him. If I were, I would have cited the page.

I used "italics" around my summation of what both these writers seem to be saying. Read what I said in its entirety.

And I happen to be one of the celiacs who believe that wheat IS a problem for people who are not celiacs and who are gluten intolerant, but I do not think that EVERYONE in the world needs to dump wheat and ALL grains from their diets. Many people tolerate whole grains just fine.

And I have a big problem with this man saying "celiac is not a disease" -now, that's a direct quote--- and his bashing of the celiac researchers .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: