#31 georgie

georgie

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:18 AM

http://bmbranno.hubp...-Healthier-Life

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.
Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.
Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.
Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.
Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.
News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !
Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:24 AM

I think you badly need to read the book to understand it...

Thanks. I got the idea by watching his interview and reading his blog articles.

I just do not agree with everything he says, that's all I am saying.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#33 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:29 AM

Where on earth does the Dr say Celiac is not a disease ? Huh?.

he says that right here--and I posted it earlier in the thread.

http://www.wheatbell...-not-a-disease/

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#34 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,115 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:31 AM

I think you badly need to read the book to understand it...

If you had read the previous posts, you would see we were talking about one of his latest posts on his website entitled " Celiac is not a disease"

http://www.wheatbell...-not-a-disease/

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#35 Opa3

Opa3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:07 PM

I think any doctor who makes the statement that Celiac is not a disease is far from a saint. That's plain ignorance on his part. I wouldn't spend the money on his book because there are far more reputable people who write accurate books on Celiac.

Well stated, Gemini. I won't buy or read it as previously posted.

#36 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

Would any of you care to comment on the rather shocking things I see, claims about the gluten free diet, coming from the "Executive Director of the University of Chicago Celiac Disease Center" Carol Shilson, and its website, cureceliac.org ? see here:

http://www.celiac.co...md/#entry853311

The University of Chicago's Dr. Stefano Guandalini is the one mentioned in the original Wheatbelly blog post comment on Feb 6, 2013, "Celiac is Not a Disease" by cardiologist William Davis, MD. "While he is a spokesperson for the celiac community, he has done more damage than good by telling non- celiac people to go ahead and consume wheat."

This is true, up to very recently, if one did not have a biopsy- confirmed-only diagnosis of celiac, no matter what symptoms you had from consuming gluten, you didn't have an official disease or disorder, according to Dr. Guandalini (at the U of Chicago).

While I do not agree with the Wheatbelly book author Dr. William Davis' latest blog that "Celiac is not a disease," believing it is medically inaccurate and cheap, grabby sensationalism, because "wheat" is the name of a grain and "wheat" is not a disease, either, I know that the current cutting edge in sports performance research nutrition, when the Paleo diet is studied, says that all humans, celiac, gluten intolerants, and normals, do react in the same biological-chemical way to consuming wheat, only in different degrees. In fact, some of those writers are quoting Dr. Alessio Fasano, formerly of the Univ of Maryland Center for Celiac Research and now at MassGeneral Hospital, aka Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston (Harvard affiliated).

A Paleo advocate and former research biochemist, Robb Wolf, says this, with the research links:
http://robbwolf.com/...iets-are-bogus/

Conversely, biopsies from non-celiac patients demonstrated a limited,transient zonulin release which was paralleled by an increase in intestinal permeability that never reached the level of permeability seen in celiac disease (celiac disease) tissues. Chronic gliadin exposure caused down-regulation of both ZO-1 and occludin gene expression. Conclusions. Based on our results, we concluded that gliadin activates zonulin signaling irrespective of the genetic expression of autoimmunity, leading to increased intestinal permeability to macromolecules.
Mat Lalonde has helped me stay on top of this stuff. Gluten attaches to the transpost molecule, CXCR3. This causes a release of zonulin which disolves the tight junction between intestinal epithelial cells (enterocytes) and THIS opens the door for autoimmunity and systemic inflammation.

Interpretation? Significance?

Everyone has CXCR3, everyone transports gluten into the enterocytes, everyone experiences gut irritation from gluten.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: