4 replies to this topic

#1 Carla44

Carla44

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:32 PM

My 6 year old son just started a gluten free diet 3 weeks ago after he and I were both diagnosed with Celiacs. Since starting him on the diet he has had terrible nightmares / night terrors multiple times each night. He cries out like he is in pain and is in a cold sweat. Additionally, he has developed a rash across his bottom (but it looks similar to the existing rash he has always had on his knees and elbows that seems to be a symptom of Celiacs. He has also had a few tantrums that have been completely out of character for him.
Just wanted to know if anyone else has experienced similar symptoms when putting their child on a gluten- free diet? I'm very new to this.... Are these with-drawl symptoms from gluten coming out of the body?
Diagnosed with Celiacs December 2012 after years of inconclusive Dr's visits and medical procedures. 6 year old son was also tested and diagnosed late December 2012.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 seezee

seezee

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:41 PM

My daughter was a beast when we first went gluten free. Very nice girl normally. I don't know if it was biological or emotional or both, but it got better.

#3 redjasper

redjasper

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:49 AM

my four year old came off with no problem but i was sick for about two weeks. I had very bad anxiety and depression. My left knee swelled so badly that I couldn't bend it. I just stayed in bed and growled at anyone who came near. luckily I started to feel better. I am only about one month in but I've noticed that the social anxiety that I've had for years has started to lessen. I would imagine that a small child could suffer from the same neurological side effects that I did. No nightmares here though. I came off first and expected my son to react like I did. He didn't. He doesn't have painful stomach when he gets gluten, but the following day he becomes very difficult and emotional.
Good luck and hope he feels better soon :)

#4 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,601 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:20 AM

i was a beast when I went gluten-free. Very cranky, tired and sore. I think it was on it's way out after 2-3 weeks though. Hopefully he'll feel better soon.
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 Mom2_2girls

Mom2_2girls

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:28 AM

My daughter was a beast when we first went gluten free. Very nice girl normally. I don't know if it was biological or emotional or both, but it got better.

My daughter was also a beast. Constant meltdowns... waking up kicking and crying at night... so grouchy and kept saying awful things about herself (out of character)... also had constant tummy aches. This lasted an entire month and finally started improving.

Hang in there!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: