Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Opinions Requested..gastro Doc Sent Me A Letter...

• Please log in to reply

20 replies to this topic

#1 designerstubble

designerstubble

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:32 AM

"Further to your recent endoscopy the duodenal biopsies show partial changes which confirm a diagnosis of Coeliac disease. The fact that there is no complete resolution of the changes despite you being on a gluten free diet suggest your diet is not fully compliant. This will be addressed further at review by the dietitians. Yours etc"

I was biopsied at 11 weeks gluten free. So they think I should have healed?? Now I'm stumped? I was just having this conversation on here about my biopsy results and felt reassured that I had time left to heal (6-12months).
My gastro doc clearly thinks otherwise, and now I'm worried... Apart from drinking dream rice milk for 2 weeks, I don't believe I have had any other gluten slip ups.
I'm cross. I'm confused. And worried.

Diagnosed Celiac Oct 2012 (Blood and Biopsy)
Gluten free / Dairy free / Caffeine / Almost sugar free / Tobacco free 2012. Corn free 2013
Vegetarian since 1986 / Asthmatic since 1990 / Migraines since 1998

Symptoms: Classical GI symptoms. Fibromyalgia. Odd pains. Bone aches. Severe headaches. Severe depression. Anxiety. Diagnosed with severe anaemia. Severe Vit D deficiency. Boderline Folate & B12 Defiency.

Since being gluten free... initially felt better for a month, still suffer with loose bowels, am currently struggling with many more allergies and intolerances to foods, such as dairy, egg, celery, oranges, tomatoes, quinoa, seeds,... Pressure hives (from Feb 2013) / Having bad leg aches during periods (June 2013)

(Marked in bold, these problems have been resolved)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 designerstubble

designerstubble

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:09 AM

The more I think about it the more I think my gastro is a complete twat.

Gluten free / Dairy free / Caffeine / Almost sugar free / Tobacco free 2012. Corn free 2013

Symptoms: Classical GI symptoms. Fibromyalgia. Odd pains. Bone aches. Severe headaches. Severe depression. Anxiety. Diagnosed with severe anaemia. Severe Vit D deficiency. Boderline Folate & B12 Defiency.

Since being gluten free... initially felt better for a month, still suffer with loose bowels, am currently struggling with many more allergies and intolerances to foods, such as dairy, egg, celery, oranges, tomatoes, quinoa, seeds,... Pressure hives (from Feb 2013) / Having bad leg aches during periods (June 2013)

#3 designerstubble

designerstubble

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:26 AM

I've just looked up on the marsh scale according to biopsy results and it seems that I'm on a marsh scale 3. Not very reassuring!

#4 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:15 AM

The more I think about it the more I think my gastro is a complete twat.

This I agree with - the letter he sent isn't worth the paper it was printed on. Your improved antibodies in April will confirm that you have removed all gluten. If the DGP is not significantly lower - you'll need to take another look for possible CC or hidden glutens.

I'm sure you have already seen the "Newbie 101" thread, but it is a good idea to re-read it now that you have some gluten-free time under your belt.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#5 designerstubble

designerstubble

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:34 AM

I've just checked their dates and I was actually 9 weeks gluten free at biopsy... Thanks GottaSki. Actually I didn't ever get to read the newbie thread... Will do today. But I have been quite stringent (come from a family of severe allergy so used to reading ingredients. Maybe I've missed something else. Must admit I thought rice dream milk was gluten-free)
What a nightmare.
Another bad day today... Just when I started getting over last weeks bad day.
Thanks for replying GottaSki. I needed to hear some sense, sometimes my brain just can't handle it!

#6 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:45 AM

Not a problem - I was a mess during the first months gluten-free - regular tears in grocery store isles, etc. It is not an easy learning curve - even for those with some experience with food allergies.

Go easy on yourself and rest assured complete healinng in nine weeks would be miralculous, not the norm and should not be expected by any GI - sadly Celiac knowledge is lacking even within the GI community.

Hang in there - it does get better!

-Lisa

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

#7 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,150 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:54 AM

A doctor won't take "but the forum said" seriously. Give him info from actual medical experts.

http://www.celiacdis...-Management.htm

"8. Repeat duodenal biopsy
A repeat biopsy is frequently performed to assess response to the diet, though it is not necessary for conformation of the diagnosis of celiac disease. Some experts recommend a biopsy during the first 6 months after diagnosis. However, if a patient is doing well on the diet, a repeat biopsy early in the course of the diet will serve little purpose. The biopsy may not show sufficient improvement. We recommend a follow up biopsy at about 2 to 3 years to assess optimal improvement. While many patients will have normal biopsies on these follow up procedures, some patients have persistent villous atrophy. This may be due to ongoing gluten ingestion.
Patients who are not doing well on the diet, due to persistent abdominal complaints or diarrhea, may undergo earlier, or more frequent endoscopy and biopsy to assess the status of the celiac disease, or whether there are other complicating conditions such as collagenous sprue or refractory sprue."

http://www.curecelia...heal-themselves
How long does it take for the villi to heal themselves?

The amount of time it takes the villi to heal themselves is highly variable. It can take from 1-2 weeks or several years for most. Unfortunately, complete healing never occurs for some.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#8 designerstubble

designerstubble

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:01 AM

Thanks for telling me that, about the tears. My husband looks at me incredulously. I feel like a freak sometimes!

I guess it's because I'm still at stage 3 after a so many weeks (but guess you have the t-shirt for that one!), we all secretly hope are efforts are healing us. It's the refractory thing that petrified me I think, it just hangs there in the background.

All the googling doesn't help (I generally stay away now), but it all indicates that in a few short weeks celiac damage is repaired by following a strict gluten free diet. It is even implied on the coeliac organisation in the UK!

Again, thank you thank you, I know you are right.
How dare they mess my day up!

#9 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:12 AM

Remove Refractory from your list of concerns - I don't have it - although it was looking as if I did for a very long time.

You'll heal - just takes time - again MOST are healed during their first year so just focus on your food choices and disregard the negative stuff as much as possible - it is not easy - but is possible.

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#10 designerstubble

designerstubble

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:31 AM

I know I keep saying it... But thank you! You've been a life line. Friends can only listen to so much, and my husband doesn't really get it! (I'm working on it!)
I will dismiss the refractory right now, after all as you guys have told me already (I think it was you actually), its way too early.
These gastro docs have a lot to answer for, sending out scary letters with no explanations a d no follow ups for 3 months.

#11 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,150 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:59 AM

I didn't post those links to scare you or say you will never heal. They do say many or most take longer to heal. I thought you could use that for your doctor.
I would say it takes at least 3 months to really get good at the gluten-free diet. You have to find things you think are fine but aren't, replace your butter tubs, toasters, teach others to be careful with their crumbs, etc.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

#12 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:18 AM

SkiLisa and Karen are giving you brilliant advice, and I will just add:
It takes as long as it takes.

Sorry, but that's the truth. This is not a road race, but a healing journey.
My GI doc (a celiac-savvy and compassionate one) says "every year is a healing year"
I took a long time to start absorbing again. But I'm getting there!

You are on the right road! slow and steady.
Forget the impersonal (probably) standard form letter from the doctor.

Makes sure you are not getting CCed somehow (and do read the Newbie 101 thread--all those special links and stuff on there? boy, that person sure sounds smart!)

Worrying is not good for autoimmunity anyway. (and it gives us wrinkles--blech! who needs those, right?) :)
Just continue to "do your gluten-free thing" and hang with us.
You're going to be okay! .

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#13 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,150 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:33 AM

Here's where they get this idea that it takes 7-10 days ( that's what my GI said) :

When my hub had a colonoscopy and they removed a polyp, they said it takes 7- 10 days to grow the little scraped place back. What they aren't taking into account with Celiac is that, just because you stop eating gluten-free, your body may still make the antibodies for weeks or months. Everyone is different. If it takes 3 months to really get the gluten free diet down, you are making antibodies for those 3 months. Maybe not as much.

3 months isn't unreasonable to figure this diet under control. How many people baked a gluten-free goodie and then remembered that, in the gluten days, they might take the measuring cup from the flour to the sugar? Or one I have heard many times - corn flakes are just corn. I don't see wheat on the ingredients. They missed the malt. Habits must be re- trained - licking the pb knife after making son a gluten sandwich.

I'm assuming these doctors gave you no real instruction of the gluten-free diet? If they accuse you of cheating at your next appt, ask them to help you figure out where you are going wrong. Because you are doing the best you can.

LTES

#14 designerstubble

designerstubble

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:19 AM

Thanks Irish heart. I am scrupulous to prepare my own food on surfaces that I have cleaned but the rest of my clan are not gluten-free (unfortunately for me)... I think if I were to get cc'd it'd be from that. My diet is pretty basic with my only treat being baby organic crisp chip things, gluten free and full of air! Also red wine. The rest is whole food. And im veggie. No dairy caffeine sugar blah blah! I don't share marg (don't eat it anyway!), or any other goodies, have my own pots etc but I will read up on the newbie to see if I've missed anything.
@kareng. Thanks for all of that. Your link has reassured me somewhat! Going by that, I'd be surprised if my antibody levels had even come down much by now (I'm 13wks gluten-free now). I will go back to that website too for further reading.

The doctors gave no guidelines about following a gluten-free diet, but I have been researching myself and come from a background of anaphylaxis etc so am used to being ultra cautious. Actually I do remember now eating some mints the first week gluten-free and realising they prob not safe!
So it IS safe to assume I have much longer to heal than the stupid a*sewipe doctor said.

Why oh why do they scare you? I am wondering if the UK docs are properly up on this stuff. Maybe I hit a bad one? Actually that'll be my second bad one since September as I changed due to the previous one being incompetent.
One question then before I go... The only thing troubling me on an ongoing basis is loose bm. I don't think it's now called diarrhea as there is no increase in frequency. Could loose bm indicate poor healing? Poor digestion? I guess I consume a fair amount of fibre being veggie. But seriously do not know what a normal bm is anymore?? What should it be like on my kind of diet?

You may all go and polish your halo's, you've been angels, as I think I may have slit my wrists by now without you all.

#15 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:10 AM

Hiya I have found UK doctors a mixed bunch tbh, I get what I can from them but most of my learning comes from here and reading. 9 weeks is not long enough.

I hate to say it, but since I told my husband that the whole house had to go gluten-free if I kept getting glutened, I have been much better. It wasn't that he was consciously lax, but it is a good incentive :). I found a few things I needed to sort too, like going between task making.kids lunches, I now wipe my worktops and table with damp kitchen roll the minute they are used etc.

Yes, these guys rock.

I did foot stamping as well as tears :).

C UK seem a bit odd about some things, I tend to double check their advice, but their food directory is helpful getting started.

Keep at it!
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: