20 replies to this topic

#1 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:00 AM

Sometimes I wonder if I am the only woman in America who doesn't own a pair of jeans. I can't stand how they look or feel. I haven't owned a pair in quite some time. Am I the odd man (woman) out?!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:10 AM

I wear jeans every day. If you get the right brand and size, they are comfortable (to me). Some brands don't fit me right. Some of my friends love the brands that I hate. We are all built differently, and jeans are all made differently. For example, I like the look and texture of Lee jeans, but they just don't fit me correctly. Wranglers fit a bit better, but still not the most comfortable. I like Levi's the best because they are just right in the waist and butt, and snug in the legs. But I often buy Rustlers because they are cheaper. They are comfortable enough, but they don't look as good on me because the legs are baggy. At my age, I don't care as long as I'm comfortable.

By the way, I only wear men's jeans because women's jeans DON'T fit right. They are usually too high waisted, too short, and not only that, but like most women's clothing, they aren't made as well.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#3 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:38 AM

Sometimes I wonder if I am the only woman in America who doesn't own a pair of jeans. I can't stand how they look or feel. I haven't owned a pair in quite some time. Am I the odd man (woman) out?!

I like how they look, but I developed vulvar vestibulitis years ago, and though it's 95% managed, jeans have to fit just right, and I have to be feeling my best to wear them. So I generally don't. I'm a yoga teacher and stay-at-home-mom, though, so I regularly break the "don't go around in yoga pants all day long" fashion "rule". :)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#4 kareng

kareng

Dispeller of Shady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,997 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:57 AM

I bet you look great in yoga pants, Tiffany. I do not!

I do wear jeans but it is hard to find some that are comfortable. It doesn't matter what size I am.

MO - what do you wear instead of jeans? I know you could wear dresses but do you garden or clean the house in them?

"You have problems.  There are not enough paper clips, and then you've got world hunger.  Your problems are somewhere in between." -DPR,III

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

purring-kitty-smiley-emoticon.gif

#5 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:10 PM

I love jeans! I am definitely a "denim person". lol. I have short legs but am long waisted so I need a short inseam/not "petite".

I wear boot cut, straight leg, and jeggings with long sweaters. So comfy:)

My son (28) hates the feel of denim and owns no jeans.

Different strokes :)
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#6 love2travel

love2travel

ńĆeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:22 PM

I love jeans. It takes some doing to find jeans to suit different body types. I'm not thin (!!) but am tall so slightly curvy bootcut suits me best. Jeggings/leggings would look dreadful on me. Now that I've found the brand I love, I stick with them (Eddie Bauer).
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#7 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,421 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:48 PM

I used to think I didn't like jeans. Then Lane Bryant/Fashion Bug started with the Right Fit line. Holy crap! So okay, I'm not exactly skinny, but somehow no matter what happens to my weight I keep this perfect hourglass thing going. Sounds nice right? Try finding jeans for it. <_< Jeans are made for girls that have zero to few curves apparently. I could not find any that fit me before. My grammy always used to buy them to fit her hips then bring them home and take in the waist. Look... I don't pay a fortune for a good pair of pants just to bring them home and fix them. They fit at the store, or they stay at the store. Now that I have jeans that fit me well, I wear them a lot.

I still bum around the house in my yoga pants or pajamas. If I'm no leaving home I see absolutely no reason at all to be "dressed." Before I became more of a jean girl though, I wore almost exclusively dresses and skirts. I probably owned 1 pair of jeans, and my snakeskin print pleather pants (I used to live on the edge) and those were all the pants I think I owned back in the day.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#8 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:55 PM

I wear either athletic type pants with sweatshirts or regular pants or skirts.
It's interesting to read the responses to see what people like. :)

#9 alex11602

alex11602

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:58 PM

I personally love Old Navy jeans. I do own some yoga pants, but often feel underdressed in them and that bothers me even though I would be fine staying in pj pants all day...well no wonder my hubby is confused by my clothes, I'm not sure I'm even making sense to myself.

#10 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:05 PM

I loathe the modern styles of jeans, which do_not_fit. I have to wear some sort of heavier- duty pant outside because stretch knits just don't go along with dirt, mud, and grass/hay detritus. But the second I come back in the house, off they go and get replaced with yoga pants. It is a combination of my body shape is difficult to fit anyway, and the modern cuts are lower- waisted, and I am very long-waisted, which makes a mid-rise jean a low rider on me :ph34r: (which means I need a very long shirt) and as one's waist becomes thicker with aging, the jeans just do NOT stay up. I have tried stretch jeans, and they start out staying put, and then as soon as I start moving around, they start to creep downwards. :o <_< Like yesterday, I had to bend over and over again, and these pants have an elastic waist and a drawstring tie, and yet they are puddling down around my knees and only the rubber mud boots are holding them up. :angry: Sometimes I try wearing a belt, but I don't like to. I am finally understanding why people wear overalls suspenders, although that would look even more ridiculous. It's just not cold enough here to wear an insulated farm-coverall type of outerwear, which is like a giant "onesie" for adults and which at least stays right where you put it.

Perhaps in another few years, the jeans makers will get a clue and start making jeans to fit again if one is over 30, or way over 30 ;) . I still have a few very older pairs that are cut differently but are either worn out, or don't fit my plumper legs anymore. I'm not thin, but for heaven's sake I see people much heavier than myself going out in public in these lower-cut, low rider waisted things with the muffin tops :blink: so I know that there ARE jeans made for all sizes.

#11 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:18 PM

Takala, I couldn't agree more. I am amongst the ranks of the way over 30 crowd and I miss the jeans from the 80's. Those jeans used to fit great. I also miss leg warmers, the hair styles from the 80's and the music and the morals...but thats for a whole entire different thread...
:)

#12 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

I like jeans. However, i also generally don't wear them around the house much. For that i prefer yoga pants or basketball shorts. It depends on the cut.

#13 Chaff

Chaff

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:21 PM

I didn't wear jeans for years because of the bloating, so I disagree that the '80s was a great time for jeans. They always cut into me as a child. But the hip-hugger type is just fine. Of course, then you have to worry about underwear showing...

celiac, hypothyroid, hereditary hemochromatosis

#14 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:28 PM

I have a 14 inch difference between my hips and my waist. Good luck shopping for THAT.
The only stores that carry clothing cut for a rear end like that are the higher-end hip-hop
style stores, and there's no way I'm paying 80$ plus for jeans. So, I shop for pants/ jeans entirely
at secondhand/consignment stores. I frequently find clothing that's clearly at least ten years
old that someone used only lightly. I haven't bought a pair of pants or jeans new in at least 8
years. Don't care what brand as long as it's not sliding off my bum for lack of material!
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#15 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:07 AM

I like dresses. They look pretty. Yes, I do garden, clean, and play badmitten in them. I even have ridden my bike, but it is kindof scary. I wear denim dresses or jumpers often, because it is super tough. Summer or winter I wear elastic band pants or Capris with them. I shall never win a fashion contest, but I am covered and comfortable. I hope you can still like me inspite of what I wear.

I say I hate jeans too, but I wear them. I wear them hidden though. It is hard to find bottoms 100% cotton and a tolerable die without having jeans. Hidden by dresses they can be snug or baggy and nobody can tell!

I feel so disrespected when parade royalty appear in their jeans.

Diana

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: