This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone Else Loathe Jeans?

GFreeMO

GFreeMO Proficient

Sometimes I wonder if I am the only woman in America who doesn't own a pair of jeans. I can't stand how they look or feel. I haven't owned a pair in quite some time. Am I the odd man (woman) out?!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bartfull Rising Star

I wear jeans every day. If you get the right brand and size, they are comfortable (to me). Some brands don't fit me right. Some of my friends love the brands that I hate. We are all built differently, and jeans are all made differently. For example, I like the look and texture of Lee jeans, but they just don't fit me correctly. Wranglers fit a bit better, but still not the most comfortable. I like Levi's the best because they are just right in the waist and butt, and snug in the legs. But I often buy Rustlers because they are cheaper. They are comfortable enough, but they don't look as good on me because the legs are baggy. At my age, I don't care as long as I'm comfortable.

By the way, I only wear men's jeans because women's jeans DON'T fit right. They are usually too high waisted, too short, and not only that, but like most women's clothing, they aren't made as well.

tarnalberry Community Regular

Sometimes I wonder if I am the only woman in America who doesn't own a pair of jeans. I can't stand how they look or feel. I haven't owned a pair in quite some time. Am I the odd man (woman) out?!

I like how they look, but I developed vulvar vestibulitis years ago, and though it's 95% managed, jeans have to fit just right, and I have to be feeling my best to wear them. So I generally don't. I'm a yoga teacher and stay-at-home-mom, though, so I regularly break the "don't go around in yoga pants all day long" fashion "rule". :)

kareng Grand Master

I bet you look great in yoga pants, Tiffany. I do not!

I do wear jeans but it is hard to find some that are comfortable. It doesn't matter what size I am.

MO - what do you wear instead of jeans? I know you could wear dresses but do you garden or clean the house in them?

jerseyangel Proficient

I love jeans! I am definitely a "denim person". lol. I have short legs but am long waisted so I need a short inseam/not "petite".

I wear boot cut, straight leg, and jeggings with long sweaters. So comfy:)

My son (28) hates the feel of denim and owns no jeans.

Different strokes :)

love2travel Mentor

I love jeans. It takes some doing to find jeans to suit different body types. I'm not thin (!!) but am tall so slightly curvy bootcut suits me best. Jeggings/leggings would look dreadful on me. Now that I've found the brand I love, I stick with them (Eddie Bauer).

Adalaide Mentor

I used to think I didn't like jeans. Then Lane Bryant/Fashion Bug started with the Right Fit line. Holy crap! So okay, I'm not exactly skinny, but somehow no matter what happens to my weight I keep this perfect hourglass thing going. Sounds nice right? Try finding jeans for it. <_< Jeans are made for girls that have zero to few curves apparently. I could not find any that fit me before. My grammy always used to buy them to fit her hips then bring them home and take in the waist. Look... I don't pay a fortune for a good pair of pants just to bring them home and fix them. They fit at the store, or they stay at the store. Now that I have jeans that fit me well, I wear them a lot.

I still bum around the house in my yoga pants or pajamas. If I'm no leaving home I see absolutely no reason at all to be "dressed." Before I became more of a jean girl though, I wore almost exclusively dresses and skirts. I probably owned 1 pair of jeans, and my snakeskin print pleather pants (I used to live on the edge) and those were all the pants I think I owned back in the day.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFreeMO Proficient

I wear either athletic type pants with sweatshirts or regular pants or skirts.

It's interesting to read the responses to see what people like. :)

alex11602 Collaborator

I personally love Old Navy jeans. I do own some yoga pants, but often feel underdressed in them and that bothers me even though I would be fine staying in pj pants all day...well no wonder my hubby is confused by my clothes, I'm not sure I'm even making sense to myself.

Takala Enthusiast

I loathe the modern styles of jeans, which do_not_fit. I have to wear some sort of heavier- duty pant outside because stretch knits just don't go along with dirt, mud, and grass/hay detritus. But the second I come back in the house, off they go and get replaced with yoga pants. It is a combination of my body shape is difficult to fit anyway, and the modern cuts are lower- waisted, and I am very long-waisted, which makes a mid-rise jean a low rider on me :ph34r: (which means I need a very long shirt) and as one's waist becomes thicker with aging, the jeans just do NOT stay up. I have tried stretch jeans, and they start out staying put, and then as soon as I start moving around, they start to creep downwards. :o<_< Like yesterday, I had to bend over and over again, and these pants have an elastic waist and a drawstring tie, and yet they are puddling down around my knees and only the rubber mud boots are holding them up. :angry: Sometimes I try wearing a belt, but I don't like to. I am finally understanding why people wear overalls suspenders, although that would look even more ridiculous. It's just not cold enough here to wear an insulated farm-coverall type of outerwear, which is like a giant "onesie" for adults and which at least stays right where you put it.

Perhaps in another few years, the jeans makers will get a clue and start making jeans to fit again if one is over 30, or way over 30 ;) . I still have a few very older pairs that are cut differently but are either worn out, or don't fit my plumper legs anymore. I'm not thin, but for heaven's sake I see people much heavier than myself going out in public in these lower-cut, low rider waisted things with the muffin tops :blink: so I know that there ARE jeans made for all sizes.

GFreeMO Proficient

Takala, I couldn't agree more. I am amongst the ranks of the way over 30 crowd and I miss the jeans from the 80's. Those jeans used to fit great. I also miss leg warmers, the hair styles from the 80's and the music and the morals...but thats for a whole entire different thread...

:)

shadowicewolf Proficient

I like jeans. However, i also generally don't wear them around the house much. For that i prefer yoga pants or basketball shorts. It depends on the cut.

Chaff Explorer

I didn't wear jeans for years because of the bloating, so I disagree that the '80s was a great time for jeans. They always cut into me as a child. But the hip-hugger type is just fine. Of course, then you have to worry about underwear showing...

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

I have a 14 inch difference between my hips and my waist. Good luck shopping for THAT.

The only stores that carry clothing cut for a rear end like that are the higher-end hip-hop

style stores, and there's no way I'm paying 80$ plus for jeans. So, I shop for pants/ jeans entirely

at secondhand/consignment stores. I frequently find clothing that's clearly at least ten years

old that someone used only lightly. I haven't bought a pair of pants or jeans new in at least 8

years. Don't care what brand as long as it's not sliding off my bum for lack of material!

1desperateladysaved Proficient

I like dresses. They look pretty. Yes, I do garden, clean, and play badmitten in them. I even have ridden my bike, but it is kindof scary. I wear denim dresses or jumpers often, because it is super tough. Summer or winter I wear elastic band pants or Capris with them. I shall never win a fashion contest, but I am covered and comfortable. I hope you can still like me inspite of what I wear.

I say I hate jeans too, but I wear them. I wear them hidden though. It is hard to find bottoms 100% cotton and a tolerable die without having jeans. Hidden by dresses they can be snug or baggy and nobody can tell!

I feel so disrespected when parade royalty appear in their jeans.

Diana

Juliebove Rising Star

I don't wear them any more. For most of my life, I hated them. I did start wearing them in Jr. High but only because that was pretty much what all of the other kids wore. I was very picky though and the demin had to be very soft. I also wore them as a young adult and I also wore heels which I no longer wear.

Currently I have an assortment of medical problems which includes gastroparesis. That means that my stomach is always big but sometimes huge! I can start out the morning with a pair of pants that are loose, only to have them uncomfortable tight by dinner time. Or the opposite can happen. Pants start out tight, then I go shopping and the pants start sliding off. It's very frustrating. These days I can only wear yoga pants, sweats, leggings or other knit pants. Elastic waists work best. I do own some pants that do not have actual elastic but just a stretchy fabric top. These have a tendency to slide off of me.

I did have some jeans with an elastic waist but I got rid of most of them. They just were not comfortable. And in order to get them that were big enough around the middle, the maker apparently assumed that I had big legs as well. I don't. Legs are skinny. So the fit was kind of funky.

• 4 weeks later...
Em314 Explorer

One of the things I have been most looking forward to in the future (or, am hoping will happen, anyway) is being able to wear jeans and other non-stretchy, non-super-loose pants again, when I can somewhat count on not ending the day several pants sizes up from where I started. :lol:

GF Lover Rising Star

They are making more styles of jeans with elastic waist bands, maybe try again? I also had a couple years of severe bloating. Like you I lived in leggings, etc. But I also wore a lot of loose sun dresses, even at home in the winter. It also made me feel better by being dressed up a tad.

I sincerely hope you find some stuff that works for you and a bonus for sun dresses is that you can show off those great legs.

Colleen

ButterflyChaser Enthusiast

Takala, I couldn't agree more. I am amongst the ranks of the way over 30 crowd and I miss the jeans from the 80's. Those jeans used to fit great. I also miss leg warmers, the hair styles from the 80's and the music and the morals...but thats for a whole entire different thread...

:)

Can we have this thread, please? :P

I loathed jeans as a child. By which I mean I would scream at my mum: "I will never, ever wear these! I can't move in them!" - and she was like, "I'll remember this when 14 comes along." I did wear jeans for many years, but it was always a pain in the neck to find one that fit. I could only wear jeans by a brand I don't even know whether it exists anymore, Fiorucci.

Even when I was skinny, I had the typical Mediterranean shape: very small waist, very bouncy backside. But modern jeans seem to be made to tube-girls. Besides, they are hard on my legs, and they are uncomfortable at my waist, so I would always wear sizes up, and look baggy.

Haven't worn jeans in a couple of years, really. I wear lots of dresses - a working woman's best friend, you pack tons of them in a small suitcase when you're out for work, and no need to think about matching tops and bottoms. When I was still in my normal weight, I wore fitted slacks a lot. I have gone back to the 80s since gaining weight and am using very very thick push-up leggings in dark colours. I can move fine in them, they are as thick as a pair of pants would be, very warm, and I can simply slip on a long sweater or dress to cover my derriere. :D

My rationale for clothing: if you can't dance in it, there's no point in wearing it.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

I like jeans, hate shopping for them. Loathe pants in general (shopping).

Short waisted, hourglass figure. You do the math on how many pants fit me.

So far Gap Curvy is the only one I find in stores that covers my butt and doesn't gap in the crotch.

If I dress up, it's a skirt. Don't seem to have a problem finding shorts....not easy but I can do it.

But man, I hate shopping for jeans. And I really hate the ones that stretch out and fall off in an hour - and don't cover my butt crack.

• 1 month later...
Delicion Newbie

I generally don't like wearing jeans but when I wear dresses I always get asked why I'm so dressed up!  Even if they are casual dresses!  Maybe it's just people in the midwest?

Archived