#1 designerstubble

designerstubble

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

Just a quicky!
My doctor has recently prescribed me vitamin d. The dose he's given me is 20,000 i.u.
This 10,000% the daily amount. Isn't this too high?!!
I've been taking them for over a week (hesitantly I must add), though I've stopped as the skin on my face has gone flaky and sore, and I've had gi ache (no idea if its related)
What's the normal dosage for vit d?
My bloods were at 44 (normal range 75- something!)

Diagnosed Celiac Oct 2012 (Blood and Biopsy)
Gluten free / Dairy free / Caffeine / Almost sugar free / Tobacco free 2012. Corn free 2013
Vegetarian since 1986 / Asthmatic since 1990 / Migraines since 1998

Symptoms: Classical GI symptoms. Fibromyalgia. Odd pains. Bone aches. Severe headaches. Severe depression. Anxiety. Diagnosed with severe anaemia. Severe Vit D deficiency. Boderline Folate & B12 Defiency.

Since being gluten free... initially felt better for a month, still suffer with loose bowels, am currently struggling with many more allergies and intolerances to foods, such as dairy, egg, celery, oranges, tomatoes, quinoa, seeds,... Pressure hives (from Feb 2013) / Having bad leg aches during periods (June 2013)

(Marked in bold, these problems have been resolved)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:10 PM

I am on 3000 IU and was measured as borderline. My bottle says 1000 IU per day. I was given more since my absorption is poor.

Diana

#3 Kamma

Kamma

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:18 PM

Well, Wiki says, "Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) is produced photochemically in the skin from 7-dehydrocholesterol. 7-Dehydrocholesterol is produced in relatively large quantities, 10,000 to 20,000 IU of vitamin D are produced in 30 minutes of whole-body exposure,[94] in the skin of most vertebrate animals, including humans..."

http://en.wikipedia....ion_in_the_skin

But I like for For Dummy's explanation of how the different types of skin colour affect vitamin D synthesis. For the most white types of skin, it only takes four minutes in the sun in the summer to synthesize 1000 IU of vitamin D. At the other end, dark skin requires 19 minutes to synthesize 1000 IU.

http://www.dummies.c...-vitamin-d.html

So, going by that, if you spent a couple hours in the sun and I'm sure you have, it would be the same as taking 20,000IU.

I think the danger would be if you were spending great amounts of time in the sun while taking 20,000 IU.

#4 designerstubble

designerstubble

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:40 PM

Thanks Kamma, very interesting! Perhaps my ailments are not related to the vit d then! It's just I saw that on the threads here most were on 2,000 or 3,000... And when I saw mine at 20,000! I wish I could grab my vit d naturally, I'd much prefer to sit in the sun. Fat chance in the UK though!
Thanks again for all your help :)

Gluten free / Dairy free / Caffeine / Almost sugar free / Tobacco free 2012. Corn free 2013

Symptoms: Classical GI symptoms. Fibromyalgia. Odd pains. Bone aches. Severe headaches. Severe depression. Anxiety. Diagnosed with severe anaemia. Severe Vit D deficiency. Boderline Folate & B12 Defiency.

Since being gluten free... initially felt better for a month, still suffer with loose bowels, am currently struggling with many more allergies and intolerances to foods, such as dairy, egg, celery, oranges, tomatoes, quinoa, seeds,... Pressure hives (from Feb 2013) / Having bad leg aches during periods (June 2013)

#5 designerstubble

designerstubble

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:43 PM

Thanks Diana, that's what I thought most here were on... And that's why I thought mine was particularly high!

#6 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:38 AM

Hi DS-

I was on the extra powerful Ds just before I was diagnosed -- I remember them being 50,000 for just one week -- may be mistaken -- perhaps they were only 20K. How long does your doc have you on them? Since you've removed gluten, I would think that soon you'll be able to drop down to a regular D supplement -- perhaps have your D checked by blood after some time on the supplement to see if it has brought your vitamin D back up?

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#7 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:27 PM

I was taking 50,000 once a week to begin with, with some daily 1,000's in between. My doctor said my tank was so empty that taking a regular dose would barely give me enough gas to get to the next gas station. So you have to fill the tank first, and you will not be absorbing all of that 50,000, but keep getting your level checked and when you are mid-range you can cut back. I am sure she did not intend for you to keep taking this dose forever. I now take 50,000 once a month.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#8 designerstubble

designerstubble

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:20 AM

Hello friends! Sorry for delayed response I've been cleaning kitchen cupboards for my new (almost) gluten-free kitchen!
My doc has me on these vit d supplements for z month. Must admit I have stopped taking them. I may just take one every other day and take a normal lower dose one on the missing day?

#9 designerstubble

designerstubble

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:21 AM

That should've said 1 month not z month!

#10 Seifer

Seifer

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:33 AM

That's a really high dose and not so smart of you doctor not to give you any directives. From what I heard 5000 IU a day should be enough for an adult and probably not necessary with more than 10000IU/day

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: