This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Supporting Others Even When We Don't Agree With Their Treatment

1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved Proficient

I am finding it hard others find it hard to support people that have a different approach to health care. .

Should we only talk about things with people who have the same provider as us?

Can we trust the other person with decisions about their own health provider, or to seek out information on their treatments or should one always persuade them toward what they are doing?

Are their many ways to healing, or is there only one way?

Here are things that have been helpful to me

Someone Listening to my situation

Someone showing compassion for what I have suffered.

Friends that say "It sounds reasonable what you are doing".

Others say, "You just have to keep doing what you need to do to stay well.: (Encouragement)

Perhaps my favorite is, " I have been through that, it has happened to me. Here is what I did"...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GottaSki Mentor

Here are things that have been helpful to me

Someone Listening to my situation

Someone showing compassion for what I have suffered.

Friends that say "It sounds reasonable what you are doing".

Others say, "You just have to keep doing what you need to do to stay well.: (Encouragement)

Perhaps my favorite is, " I have been through that, it has happened to me. Here is what I did"...

These are the type of posts that are most common on this board.

Even posts that argue passionately come from a root of caring and wanting to help or prevent folks from trying things that have failed for others.

When I have been feeling my worst I have misinterpretted intent as this format is easy to misun derstand folks as you cannot see their exp<b></b>ressions, mannerisms or intended humor through the typed response.

mushroom Proficient

I personally believe it is good to be exposed to a wide variety of healing treatments and methods. We are all free to accept or reject that which is or is not applicable to us. And we should all have the right to point out those treatments which we have tried which have failed, and also those treatments which do not appear to have any evidence to support them.

We should, as you point out, and I believe most posters on here do, encourage those who are having difficulties and make suggestions.

jerseyangel Proficient

I personally welcome any and all suggestions/ experiences as long as they come from a place of caring-- which they are the vast, vast majority of the time. You never know what might resonate with someone.

strkngfang Newbie

I believe in using whatever works and sadly traditional medicine is falling way down the list for me. Doctors only seem interested in getting you in and out and with a prescription for something? Can you believe I've seen two different GI doctors in the past for long periods and neither one ever held any interest in what I eat or what might be causing the problem, just about taking something to mask over the symptoms. Sorry about the little rant.

I appreciate advice from everyone and there is nothing I wouldn't try. I've done acupuncture, hyponosis, meditations and various "miracle" drugs on the internet that end up being a "rip off". I went for a check up with my primary doctor a few months back and he had no clue what a "functional medicine" physician even was? I took him some of my lab test results and I had to show him how to read them and even then he dismissed them as unreliable, like they do for any non AMA test or supplement. We would be so much better if doctors cared about healing you instead of just making money and furthering the millions in the phamaseutical industry.

Archived