Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Not Dh, But What Is This? (With Picture)

rash

• Please log in to reply

5 replies to this topic

#1 ButterflyChaser

ButterflyChaser

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:21 AM

After weeks of being very careful I left down my guard and accidentally ingested wheat - I swelled immediately (5 lbs in weight, most of which disappeared after 30 hours), and my upper thighs are once again covered in small red spots (both legs), extremely itchy at first. They have been there for almost a week even if they don't really itch that much anymore. But this time I also got them on my forearms. They are tiny, very red, and raised, like pinheads. I used to get them all the time before going gluten-free, and they took about a week to vanish.

Can anyone help me understand what this might be? To the best of my observation, it only appears when I eat regular bread etc, but now it is coming out also with accidental ingestion.

http://i529.photobuc...zpsec79c6de.jpg
Hashimoto's thyroiditis and Grave's disease (2011). It must have been a Black Friday.
Intestinal dysbiosis. Suspected damage to my vili (2012). NCGS according to my dermatologist upon seeing my post-wheat rash.

Gluten-free. Sept 2012.
Canola, almonds, soy = evil.

Grain-free, legume-free. December 2012.
No peanuts and tree nuts. February 2013.
Erb-Duchenne palsy from birth trauma.

My body is trying to kill me.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 jlaw

jlaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:55 AM

Hi Butterfly, have you considered Keratosis Pilaris?
DH dx by skin biopsy July 2012

#3 ButterflyChaser

ButterflyChaser

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:38 PM

Not until you mentioned it! It does look a bit like KP, even if my red spots are very much far from each other, and they appear in areas of my body which are totally hairless :P (genetically unhairy woman typing).

However, it does not behave like it: it only comes up when I get "glutened" and vanishes after a week/ten days of strict gluten-free diet. Could it be some kind of allergy/intolerance reaction?
Hashimoto's thyroiditis and Grave's disease (2011). It must have been a Black Friday.
Intestinal dysbiosis. Suspected damage to my vili (2012). NCGS according to my dermatologist upon seeing my post-wheat rash.

Gluten-free. Sept 2012.

#4 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:39 PM

I have DH and I also get rashes from gluten.

#5 MaureenD

MaureenD

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

Could be lichen planus, another autoimmune disease: http://www.aad.org/s...z/lichen-planus

#6 ButterflyChaser

ButterflyChaser

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:35 AM

Thank you all! I mentioned them to my dermatologist last night. He concluded that it must be a reaction probably to wheat, because it only appears after consuming/touching wheat, and told me I should live "as if" I had celiac disease, even if the blood work is negative, because it could still be NCGS. I hope the edema it is associated with wheat exposure is going to disappear soon, because it is quite painful, especially on my legs...

Gluten-free. Sept 2012.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: