This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac Or Milk Allergy Having Hard Time Telling

Liquidceliac

Liquidceliac Rookie

After a heavy spell of symptoms right after Xmas from eating angel food cake(real whipped cream,donuts,cinammon roles) my body shut down.It took a few days though of symptom after symptom.It started with a neck tension,upper back,shoulder tension.Then heart was irregular,shortness of breath,slight wheezing snd little cough,and cold hand/feet plus tired.Well as you all know I went to docs yesterday feeling pretty good but described all my symptoms that have been affecting me all year 2012.Digestion problems (constipated ,or opposite,smelly BM like sour milk,sinus issues,allergy issues,muscle pains etc.He mentionned celiac.Long story short Ive been off gluten two weeks,been feeling pretty good so I decided yesterday ,hey ill have a coffee(I quit that to last week).I always take 1 cream,1sugar with coffee.I ended up waking up again slightly nervous (had coffee at 1pmorevious day).Today I feel weird and had that sour milk breath and I'm constipated again plus real gassy.But only today? And I are fruit plus pounded water for breakfast.I felt better eating saloman and broccoli for lunch.My question is can a milk allergy kick in only the next day and can it cause the above symptoms I mentionned? Because I know I didn't eat gluten yesterday or the day before? Makes sense to anyone here? I'm confused? I didn't super flare up like at Xmas but had mini symptoms?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

Hi LiquidC,

It is possible you are having a reaction to dairy as well as having celiac. Many celiacs have lactose intolerance at first because the damage to the villi in the gut impairs the ability to produce lactase enzyme. The lactase enzyme made by the villi is what digests the dairy sugar (lactose). Without lactase the bacteria thrive and cause GI symptoms.

You could also have a casein intolerance, or a milk allergy.

Or you could just be having an off day.

If you want to test your reaction to dairy, you can eliminate all dairy for a week or two. If you are feeling better then, go ahead and try some dairy and see what happens.

You can also ask your doctor to do a lactose intolerance test and or a dairy allergy test.

We end up using our own bodies to test foods a lot. They don't pay us any money to run food tests on our bodies but the don't charge us anything either. So you can do these kinds of test on any foods. You could do a search on elimination diet on this site and find more ideas about them.

StephanieL Enthusiast

If it was not immediate, it would be considered an intolerance. As stated, it very well could be a dairy issue because of Celiac damage or a dairy intolerance all of it's own.

Liquidceliac Rookie

What happens us ill drink a coffee with cream then ill get that caffiene rush.hours later sometime the next day ill get the sour milk taste I'm my mouth,tense muscles ,gassy, lethargic

Lima Bean Newbie

Maybe skip the caffiene for a few weeks?

Findin my way Rookie

What happens us ill drink a coffee with cream then ill get that caffiene rush.hours later sometime the next day ill get the sour milk taste I'm my mouth,tense muscles ,gassy, lethargic

That certainly sounds like a casein issue. I get all of that, minus the sour milk taste, when I have dairy. I just don't have dairy anymore. There are all kinds of milk alternatives on the market now, so I really don't miss it. Cheese on the other hand....

As for my morning coffee I use a coconut creamer. It's specially designed for coffee. It doesn't taste like coconut. There are soy versions also. I can't do soy, so that's why I use the coconut one.

Archived