18 replies to this topic

#16 TammyTE

TammyTE

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

Absolutely they are all relevant and should be considered. Problem is, if her total IgA level is normal, the IgA tests are a little more relevant than the IgG, is my understanding. What was her total IgA, and the range the lab uses for someone her age?

Her total IgA was 68. The range was 17-94 but I don't know if that was for a certain age or not. Her AGA IgA was 3 which was supposed to be <20 so considered negative. her AGA IgG was 34 which was supposed to be <20 so considered "strong positive".

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 TammyTE

TammyTE

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

Okay, I just got the lab numbers for my 8yo son as well. His test also showed a reference range for the total IgA as 17-94. So I guess that at least means their range was the same but could also mean they don't change the range at all whether it is a child or adult.

Wouldn't that make a difference?

#18 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:22 PM

At this link: http://www.questdiag..._IgA_Subclasses you will find the ranges used by Quest Laboratories for children and adults, just for comparison purposes. Each laboratory establishes their own ranges depending on the equipment used and other variables. The question you ask is valid, if the ranges for both your children were the same.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#19 TammyTE

TammyTE

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:17 PM

At this link: http://www.questdiag..._IgA_Subclasses you will find the ranges used by Quest Laboratories for children and adults, just for comparison purposes. Each laboratory establishes their own ranges depending on the equipment used and other variables. The question you ask is valid, if the ranges for both your children were the same.

That is fascinating. Thank you for the link. I did find on the lab's website they had an example to look at. Their sample was for a 17yo person and the range was different. You would think though that the range would be different for an 8yo and a 2yo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: