7 replies to this topic

#1 Michlootz

Michlootz

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:17 AM

I was just diagnosed with ciliac and also been diagnosed with acid reflux several years ago and have always taken omeprazole 20 mg capsules manufactured currently by Sandoz, which is a script. I have tired to search to find out if it is gluten free to no avail. Does anybody you know if it is gluten free? If not any substitutes? I need help ASAP as my reflux is starting to come back again. I have been glutin free 3 days now and acid reflux is starting to come back....Many thanks! :(

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:04 PM

Acid reflux can be controled without medication :)

However, i haven't heard of omeprazole having it. Best bet is to call the manufacturer to ask.

#3 Christine0125

Christine0125

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:18 PM

I emailed sandoz about a prescription I take and got a response within 24 hours. for my prescription they replied and said there are no gluten ingredients. The email to contact they regarding products is easy to find on the website.

#4 Michlootz

Michlootz

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

Acid reflux can be controled without medication :)

However, i haven't heard of omeprazole having it. Best bet is to call the manufacturer to ask.

I found out and they can't guarantee it--so I must forget this. :( Do you or anyone else know of anything I can take for a hiatial hernia, acid reflux, heartburn. My chest feels like on fire!!

#5 Michlootz

Michlootz

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:57 AM

I am not entirely sure how this site works so I may be posting multiple times. I found out omeprazole is not guaranteed by Sandoz. Is there anything else I can take of hiatial hernia, acid reflux, heartburn? My chest feels like on fire. Also still very itchy on my head mostly and some all over and face/. Is there anything I can use to relieve the itchness that is safe? I don't have any open blisters or a rash--just itchy.....Thanks!

#6 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:24 AM

Of course they cannot guarantee it. Nobody can. A guarantee creates a legal liability for them in the event they received a contaminated ingredient from a supplier. Even if they test, they have to qualify the statement based on the sensitivity of the test. The may, for example, be able to guarantee < 20 ppm (which is likely actually zero, but cannot be proven).
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

I have taken several prescriptions from a variety of companies since being gluten free. I have called on every one before I fill them. Every time I get "but we don't promise/guarantee it is gluten free blah blah blah statement." Having previously given similar statements myself working in a call center, we called these CYB statements. Cover Your Butt. Like Peter says, the legal implications of making an absolute guarantee is insane, the best you will get is a general, yes, the drug is in fact gluten free but CYB.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#8 Michlootz

Michlootz

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:57 PM

I have taken several prescriptions from a variety of companies since being gluten free. I have called on every one before I fill them. Every time I get "but we don't promise/guarantee it is gluten free blah blah blah statement." Having previously given similar statements myself working in a call center, we called these CYB statements. Cover Your Butt. Like Peter says, the legal implications of making an absolute guarantee is insane, the best you will get is a general, yes, the drug is in fact gluten free but CYB.

Thanks for the CYB info--might take omeprazole again--after I get some gluten free time under my belt. I'm only recently diagnosed & glutin free 4 days now. Trying to take it "One day at a Time'--but REALLY hard at this point.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: