Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Does Anyone Else Have Issues With Trader Joe's Labeling?

• Please log in to reply

22 replies to this topic

#16 WhoKnew

WhoKnew

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:59 PM

If your goal here is to help people, 'Learn to not be so sensitive' is entirely non-functional.

Thank you, I appreciate somebody else saying this.  I am scratching my head to be honest.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 mileshubbard

mileshubbard

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:41 AM

Pretty much reiterating whats been said here but here's another article on issues with Trader Joe's gluten free labeling.  Definitely something to be aware of.

http://ithp.org/arti...rjoesglutenfree

#18 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:50 AM

Pretty much reiterating whats been said here but here's another article on issues with Trader Joe's gluten free labeling.  Definitely something to be aware of.

http://ithp.org/arti...rjoesglutenfree

I don't know who wrote this or how credible they are. When I got to the part about some US law on what is gluten-free, I knew they weren't a reliable source. There is no US law on the meaning of gluten-free.

In the case of apple juice, I would have serious doubts there could be gluten in the juice. Using a little common sense, juice factorys will not be equipped to make cookies ot process flour. Fruit is picked and transported differently then wheat, rye or barley. But if a juice bothers you, don't drink it.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#19 Nikki2777

Nikki2777

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:23 PM

Yesterday I looked at their sausages.... strange, none are marked gluten free. I read the labels - rice flour, etc., etc., everything fine, and then... I notice hydrolyzed soy protein :

I'm confused. How does soy protein affect gluten free status?

#20 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:52 AM

Yesterday I looked at their sausages.... strange, none are marked gluten free. I read the labels - rice flour, etc., etc., everything fine, and then... I notice hydrolyzed soy protein :
I'm confused. How does soy protein affect gluten free status?

It doesn't . Lots of things are gluten-free and not labelled that way, even at TJs. For example, I don't think any of the cheese is labelled gluten-free, it just is.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#21 lako

lako

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:37 PM

Another product review -- I hope this helps others choosing gluten-free products at Trader Joe's.  I tried their gluten free cupcakes today, and got sick sick sick, in the normal gluten way.  I have also gotten very sick from TJ's gluten-free pizza in the past.  So disappointing from my favorite grocer!  (Their gluten-free waffles, however, are quite good and fortunately have never made me sick.)  However, I will be sticking to Whole Foods from now on for my gluten-free products.  Yes, they're more expensive, but so much more reliable.

#22 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 04:45 PM

Another product review -- I hope this helps others choosing gluten-free products at Trader Joe's. I tried their gluten free cupcakes today, and got sick sick sick, in the normal gluten way. I have also gotten very sick from TJ's gluten-free pizza in the past. So disappointing from my favorite grocer! (Their gluten-free waffles, however, are quite good and fortunately have never made me sick.) However, I will be sticking to Whole Foods from now on for my gluten-free products. Yes, they're more expensive, but so much more reliable.

Tj's has cupcakes? Pizza? I think I'm slow...I only just now found the waffles.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#23 BabsV

BabsV

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:26 PM

The only gluten-free things I've noticed at my TJs are some breads (Udi's I think...) Must depend on where you are and the manager of the store.

The manager of the store I go to sticks to what the Trader Joe's website says (pasted below). He also said that the company policy is to include as much information as possible re: shared equipment on labels BUT the manufacturers don't always give them that info. The TJ signage states "no gluten ingredients used" -- for some that seems to be ok. For me, it isn't. I stick to fresh produce, meat and wine from TJs. Anything else I skip.

From the website:

A set of universal dietary guidelines for Celiac Disease does not exist. The Celiac Disease Foundation (CDF) uses criteria based on the latest scientific research and advice from its' Medical Board of Advisors. For information about Celiac Disease please contact the Celiac Disease Foundation (CDF) at (818) 716-1513, via email at cdf@celiac.org or on the web at www.celiac.org.

• Our suppliers follow Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP's) to segregate ingredients on shared equipment and/or in the facility.
  • Always read the label - ingredients and suppliers may change.
  • Gluten is a protein found in wheat, barley and rye and their derivatives such as malt or spelt.
  • As a general rule of thumb, dairy, juice, meat and produce do not contain gluten or any gluten derivatives.
  • Under Trader Joe's Brands, ingredients listed as "natural flavors" or "spices" do not contain gluten or gluten derivatives.
  • Use common sense and remember the motto: When in doubt, leave it out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: