Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Celiac Symptoms During Menstrual Cycle, As If I Ate Gluten!

glutened period menstrual cycle

• Please log in to reply

18 replies to this topic

#16 Brandiwine

Brandiwine

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:18 PM

Eat a banana a day the week before to, it helps with cramps (potassium). I eat like crazy before I start! No joke, doesn't have to be anything specific just food and lots of it! I have learned if I steer clear of processed foods it helps. I also take evening primrose, it doesn't help right away you have to take it for awhile.

Vegetarian, Gluten Free diet since 03/2013, sensitivity to raw onions, soy, allergic to Cinnamon

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 sominex

sominex

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:37 AM

could be IBS, it's known to level some women during menstruation who can deal with it the rest of their cycle. 

#18 SMRI

SMRI

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 03:46 AM

Hormone changes can do funny things to your body.  Look up PMS and most of what you are saying goes right along with that.  I used to be like clockwork and the day before I would start my period, heavy D.  The week leading up to my period, I couldn't eat enough food or so it seemed.  Severe headache the first day, then cramping like you would not believe...4 Advil every 3 hours and I still was in pain.  Fortunately having children rectified most of those symptoms for me.

#19 S23

S23

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:30 AM

I noticed a difference in my cycle as well since going gluten-free. Growing up my period was always very bad (Extreme pain, cramps, bloating, D etc . I also experience ovarian cysts that dissipate once my cycle is over. On the pill it was a breeze. Even getting off the pill for a year I was dealing with everything very well.

But as soon as I went gluten-free they became much more painful and then my cycle started to get longer (35day instead of 28). To the point now, I'm not even sure when its going to come and if I've been 'glutened' or not. 

3 Weeks ago I started a new diet. No grains of any kind or sugars (SCD). It goes beyond eating gluten-free and it extremely HARD to follow.  

Although I am still finding pain this cycle, Ultrasounds show my cysts aren't there this time around and its come on exactly the 28th day as It use to before going gluten-free. So I feel like my body is sort of correcting itself. 

Overall hormones play a massive roll in our cycles and it could change for a number of reasons including stress. But I truly believe now DIet is even a bigger part of the picture. Try eliminating "Gluten Free" labeled foods (As they often don't truly help anyway-especially the sugary ones) And for two weeks before your period eat clean foods (vegetables and meat) You might be surprised as I am. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: