• Please log in to reply

5 replies to this topic

AlwaysLearning

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:27 PM

I'm only a couple months into this whole gluten free thing, and find myself in a phase where I'm skipping eating because it is such a pain to cook everything from scratch. And I suspect that the prepared foods labeled gluten-free that I've tried are a source of accidental glutening, those parts per million still allowed enough to get my body back onto the gluten roller coaster ride.

So what I'm looking for are gluten-free snack ideas. Right now, I've got popcorn, apples, nuts, and cut veggies, all good for the crunch factor.

But I need more ideas for things I can just walk into the kitchen and grab without having to peal, cook, or clean up after. (I don't have a dishwasher which isn't helping.)

What are some of your favorite go-to snack foods, preferably those that don't need much preparation and would fall on the healthy side of the spectrum while stir fulfilling cravings?

Or has anyone found that a particular brand of prepared foods actually is gluten-free rather than just labeled such?

I need inspiration!

Thanks in advance.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

LiddysMama

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:15 AM

Our go to snacks are Kind bars and yogurt. Also cheese and crackers. We love the multigrain ones sold at Costco. I can't remember the name right now. My daughter likes Glutino plain crackers and the bagel chips. (I can never find the bagel chips in our Kroger so I stock up when I can find them.). Hummus is a great option too. You can find it in small servings in the grocery. Welcome to the gluten-free community. You will get the hang of it in no time!
DTR - DX with Celiac Disease Dec 2011.
ME and DTR - gluten-free since January 2, 2012

kareng

Kiss me! I'm Irish!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,584 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:16 AM

Our go to snacks are Kind bars and yogurt. Also cheese and crackers. We love the multigrain ones sold at Costco. I can't remember the name right now. My daughter likes Glutino plain crackers and the bagel chips. (I can never find the bagel chips in our Kroger so I stock up when I can find them.). Hummus is a great option too. You can find it in small servings in the grocery. Welcome to the gluten-free community. You will get the hang of it in no time!

Crunchmaster? http://www.crunchmaster.com/home.aspx Cheapest at Costco or Sams Club but I have found small bags at Walmart & regular groceries by the fancy cheese.

Love the bagel chips, too http://www.glutino.c...ic-bagel-chips/

I get these cheese sticks but you could cut up a block of cheese and keep in the fridge.

http://www.sargento....-cheese-snacks/

Go Picnic boxes These aren't exactly a snack but you could eat the different parts thru out the day or use it as ideas of safe products. Just be careful, a few of these are not gluten-free. http://www.gopicnic....tter-Crackers_2

U.S.A. list for FRito LAy - http://www.fritolay....ngredients.html

To go with that http://eatwholly.com...snack-pack.html

I couldn't find a thread we had recently about snacks. Maybe if you google snacks in the top right corner you will find something. We love our snacks on this forum.

"We have always found the Irish a bit odd. They refuse to be English."

Winston Churchill

May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong. And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you’re dead. 

music-on-st-patricks-day-smiley-emoticon

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,128 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:54 AM

glutino makes two flavors of bagels chips, add some brushetta.. Roll a cheese slice & a deli meat slice ,wrap in a lettuce leaf..
Add peanut butter to apples or banana's.. Protein bars.... fruit smoothies, crackers & cheese whiz.... celery with cream cheese..

Sorry to have to say this but your kitchen has now become your best bud!!!!! There is nothing convienent about being gluten-free ! After ten years of being gluten-free it still requires lots of planning but I can say that has become so much easier...I always have a gluten-free goodie bag in my car, at work & in my purse...I always have sweets baked & frozen to takeout on a minutes notice.. I also keep a dinner size portion of lasagne froze, pizzas & a few other things just in case I get invited out to eat .So that way I'm not depriving myself of any of the pleasures of friendships or eating....I know many will say eat before you go , graze while there on veggies but for me that is now getting very old.. I would just rather prepare ahead of time & match what the person is serving to the wheat eaters... Its a win win....

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:35 AM

Dried fruit?
Dates apricots and raisins are our favorites in moderation
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

brendygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:05 PM

Many are Naturally gluten free: chips n salsa or guacamole (I like Wholly Guacamole avail at target, etc), trail mix, craisins, gluten-free granola ( i like love brand or udi) on a PBUtter apple, popsicles caramel apple, gluten-free granola bars ( glutino), applesauce, cranberry sauce, gluten-free bread toasted w jam or p.b., jell-o, pudding (pudding is in the dairy group on the food pyramid, not sweets), meat n cheese rolled up (I like boar's head, but cheaply Buddig is gluten-free too), Glutino pretzels, Lara bars (an acquired taste), fruit roll-ups, fruit snacks (I like bunny ones), microwave s'mores (S'moreables gluten-free graham crackers avail at Target, w marshmallow n choc in microwave), udi bagel w cream cheese, tomato mozzarella salad, carrot raisin salad( both can be bought in deli section), tuna on gluten-free crackers, pickles (most vlasic r gluten-free), black olives, etc. you should look at my blog posts on this site or elsewhere. (I often listed specific meals n snacks in a list at the bottom of each post.). Go to forums, then blogs, then brendygirls blog

Gluten Free since November 2005

"If you want breakfast in bed, sleep in the kitchen.." ---Ed Polish

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: